• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Expands Streaming Service to Colombia, Chile, Peru

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:17 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Ak Animax wrote:
Any News on Anti trust Division about Crunchyroll acquisition by Sony?
I guess maybe the deal is canceled?? Don't know ....
Any one got any news why it taking so long..it's almost 4 months since the
Pause!!
No news, but I assure you all the Netflix anime announcements will be referenced by Sony and AT&T's lawyers in explaining why there will be enough competition after the merger.
They won't have much of a case with that. They're trying to argue anime is like the Simpsons and is part of a market of animation geared towards adults in order to get it through. Their last resort though can always be of course bribing the government as this country has legalized bribery, and is a big reason antitrust hasn't actually be enforced in decades. Like if this were the 1930s, instead of Disney being allowed to buy Fox, Disney would be broken up into a dozen pieces. Heck, Amazon would be broken up into 1,000+ pieces as they're that enormous, but they're going to be allowed to buy MGM with ease.
https://www.otakuentrepreneur.com/crunchyroll-sonys-anime-market-takeover/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:44 am Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:
tfwnoymir wrote:
In short, it's a mess.

At least Wakanim knows you exist. Meanwhile they seem to believe Europe ends at the Pyrenees.

But it's such a dumb situation, they have the English subs on hand, I can't believe there's a CT issue for the translation getting in the way, so just throw the English sub in there by default, there's literally no downside. Netflix used to do the same thing where they just assumed no one in Portugal could possibly want to watch anime with anything but a Portuguese sub. At least now they always seem to throw in a selection of subs for the bigger expat communities, as well as English.

Not to mention Greece, Italy, Monaco, the list goes on. I don't know which is worse: doing it badly or not doing it at all. I'd be happy they haven't forgotten about my country but as it stands, their service is completely unusable for me and I have no choice but to resort to piracy if I don't want to miss out (which I don't). Not to mention those living in those regions not included. To be fair, Hidive is even worse, as shows licensed by Sentai is unavailable to me most of the time and you're region-locked in the country you first subscribed in forever, so there's no point for me using it.

It's dumb either way and there are no winners, only losers.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:17 pm Reply with quote
A great thread for moderator Zalis116 to read.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:07 am Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
A great thread for moderator Zalis116 to read.
And why would that be, pray tell? I know I've spoken out against the unrealistic expectations placed on English-language / US companies to service (almost) the entire world, but if they choose to expand to other areas, I'm not going to criticize them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2