• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What We Do in the Shadows House

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:
SHD wrote:
Actually, it's an extension/consequence of a pun.
This may be true within the story when characters speak about "our esteemed shadow masters," but the English title comes from the fact that the Shadows have an English last name—they are called the シャドー家, or "Shadow family." As 家 as a suffix can mean "family" or "house," both シャドーハウス and "Shadows House" are attempts to translate シャドー家 into English.

Yes, I know. The point I was trying to make is that the entire reason why it's "shadow" in particular - why it's Shadow family and not like, Soot family, etc. (even though soot is what they seem to be made of, technically they're not real shadows) is because of the okagesama pun. Basically the whole premise and the related terminology rests on that pun.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:42 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Neko-sensei wrote:
SHD wrote:
Actually, it's an extension/consequence of a pun.
This may be true within the story when characters speak about "our esteemed shadow masters," but the English title comes from the fact that the Shadows have an English last name—they are called the シャドー家, or "Shadow family." As 家 as a suffix can mean "family" or "house," both シャドーハウス and "Shadows House" are attempts to translate シャドー家 into English.

Yes, I know. The point I was trying to make is that the entire reason why it's "shadow" in particular - why it's Shadow family and not like, Soot family, etc. (even though soot is what they seem to be made of, technically they're not real shadows) is because of the okagesama pun. Basically the whole premise and the related terminology rests on that pun.

They don't seem to be made of soot, though. We've seen Kate take baths before.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Violet Park wrote:

They don't seem to be made of soot, though. We've seen Kate take baths before.

I mean, it's obviously magical soot... Yes, normal soot washes off, but also normal soot doesn't do pretty much everything it does in the show. Considering that they have enough soot to constantly spew it if necessary, to mold it into relatively large things, etc. I'm sure that they're either constantly generating soot within themselves, or they're completely made of the material, and regain the volume they lose in so-far unforeseen ways.

Also: the stuffing of Emilico's doll is made of soot, and still it's solid and moves around and whatnot. So who's to say the shadows are not the same kind?

Last edited by SHD on Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see the nod to the opening song. It plays very well into the setting and aesthetic and gives the impression that they were going for something like a British miniseries. I think that ended up being the real hook for me with the first episode.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I got into this because I enjoyed Kuro... which in part I liked because of its solid aesthetics, which are only stronger here.
Of course the slow-burning, long ongoing mysteries also help a lot. There are so many secrets lurking in the shadows Wink
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm really loving Shadows House (even if I think these current maze episodes are a little bit dragged out), but I just know its going to give me one of those unsatisfying "read the manga" endings and I'm not looking forward to it haha
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:21 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I mean, it's obviously magical soot... Yes, normal soot washes off, but also normal soot doesn't do pretty much everything it does in the show. Considering that they have enough soot to constantly spew it if necessary, to mold it into relatively large things, etc. I'm sure that they're either constantly generating soot within themselves, or they're completely made of the material, and regain the volume they lose in so-far unforeseen ways.

Also: the stuffing of Emilico's doll is made of soot, and still it's solid and moves around and whatnot. So who's to say the shadows are not the same kind?

Chapter 9 of the manga explicitly denies that theory. Too bad it was cut from the anime.

Kate: "Soot comes out of me, but it's not like I'm made of soot".
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:47 am Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:
However, the title シャドーハウス does not consist of loanwords. It's English phonetically rendered into Japanese, the same way ドラゴンボール is Dragon Ball.
Ah yes, I get the distinction now. Thanks for clearing that up.

Anyways, I still think the English title is grammatically incorrect. Neko-sensei, what name do fans in Japan use for this show? Wouldn't they be amused that overseas, everyone is calling this show Shadows House?

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:06 am; edited 2 times in total
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:57 am Reply with quote
John the Dark Lord wrote:
SHD wrote:

Chapter 9 of the manga explicitly denies that theory. Too bad it was cut from the anime.

Kate: "Soot comes out of me, but it's not like I'm made of soot".

Regardless - they're not actually shadows, and the soot seems to be a huge part of their physical being. After the latest episode I wouldn't be surprised if they could just take the form of soot and move around like that - to me it very much seemed like a shadow taking over Edward's body.

Last edited by SHD on Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:08 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
I'm really loving Shadows House (even if I think these current maze episodes are a little bit dragged out), but I just know its going to give me one of those unsatisfying "read the manga" endings and I'm not looking forward to it haha

I would be okay with it if the manga was licensed here in the US. I need to stop watching one cour series with ongoing manga series when the manga is not licensed. It hurts too much when I end up really enjoying it but can’t get the rest of the story. Sad
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:42 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Neko-sensei wrote:
However, the title シャドーハウス does not consist of loanwords. It's English phonetically rendered into Japanese, the same way ドラゴンボール is Dragon Ball.
Ah yes, I get the distinction now. Thanks for clearing that up.

Anyways, I still think the English title is grammatically incorrect. Neko-sensei, what name do fans in Japan use for this show? Wouldn't they be amused that overseas, everyone is calling this show Shadows House?

Probably the same "Shadoo Hausu", since that's the name in Japanese too, as others have pointed out. Seen the portmanteau ShadoHa (シャドハ) used in twitter. I don't really see why they'd be amused with Shadow/Shadows discrepancy though, doubt most would even take note of it at all. And just like you don't know what JP fans call the show, I doubt most JP fans would know or care about how overseas fans call it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2