• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: EX-ARM

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:21 pm Reply with quote
well, to be fair, it is amazing that one single person can do a full anime series all by himself.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:22 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
well, to be fair, it is amazing that one single person can do a full anime series all by himself.

I see what you did there.

Bravo, sir.
Uchay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Serinox wrote:
I feel so bad for the team behind the manga. Sure, Ex-Arm is not a masterpiece as a manga, but at least it has good artwork and a solid mix of ecchi stuff & sci-fi action - and it sure as hell doesn't deserve an anime adaptation like this.

Honestly, I agree. The story isn't anything great and I'd say I got fairly annoyed by some moments, and I wouldn't follow it outside reading a few chapters out of curiousity because of the anime, but I think the art is really pretty, detailed and nice to look at. The fight scenes are also generally well done.

Oh, the irony. Laughing

Anyway, the anime did get me to read a few chapters so I guess it suceeded??
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I maintain two things -

1. EX-Arm will go down as a favorite among differs, reviewers, and other Youtube folk on the same level as the Garzey’s Wings and the Chargeman Ken’s. Legendarily awful.

2. This will be what has Sony look at the Crunchyroll Originals line and put said line out to pasture.

I hope Tonikawa is spared at least. It was the only good "Crunchyroll Original".

Also god bless the reviewer and keeping a chin up. They could literally turn in a steaming pile of wordshit and it would be better than the show they're reviewing.

I do feel for them because this is supposed to be an anime review and yet im not seeing any animation.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:32 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P to reviewers and completionests who have no choice but to watch this series all the way through. Laughing
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:17 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
I hope Tonikawa is spared at least. It was the only good "Crunchyroll Original".

Also god bless the reviewer and keeping a chin up. They could literally turn in a steaming pile of wordshit and it would be better than the show they're reviewing.

I do feel for them because this is supposed to be an anime review and yet im not seeing any animation.

It is what it is. Most of the Webtoons were not ready for prime time, Onyx Equinox was hilariously confused whether it wanted to be a bloody 90’s comic or a kiddie Avatar clone and ended up appealing to no one, and then there’s this...very special piece of media.

At the end of the day, this was done to add value in the Warner family, and Warner sold CR. So their reason for being is gone. Not like they will be mourned.
everapril

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I try not to be a hater but boy do I love train wreck media (I saw the Cats film in the theater and paid for two digital copies on different platforms). I will be watching this series with great excitement.

I think it’s biggest sin so far is the utter lack of any atmosphere or establishing shots. The whole “Is this Tokyo?!” when the only glimpse we get is parts of generic buildings? I laughed for like 5 minutes straight.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Well done, well done *claps*
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:32 am Reply with quote
No mention of the expert use of CG and 2D characters that are incredibly jarring together, with the 2D characters static shots or with limited in-between animation, a good choice for the difference between civilians and those set to protect them. Or the old lady politician who even for anime standards has bad lip flaps, it is great commentary. Or the CGI models of characters having only one facial expression, meaning one woman is smiling as she delivers news of a suicide bombing, great character establishment.

I don't know the source material, but I feel bad for them. Bad that they could not hit these highs in their limited medium of manga.
FrodoGate222

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity I looked at the manga and.....geez! The anime cuts out A LOT from the manga to the point where I thought the manga version was a completely different arc!
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:14 pm Reply with quote
((0_o)) Looks like it was animated in VR chat.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:19 pm Reply with quote
well-
you could've ended up reviewing Redo the Healer,so there's that Smile
Madster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:27 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:

Tonikawa is getting a special, but a season 2 hasn't been announced.

My biggest gripe with Originals is (besides them being average at best, and.... EX-ARM at worst) is that they're just... there. They're a novelty and nothing more. Nothing makes them stand out from other anime on the platform outside of "This was funded by Crunchyroll and look look! We have some Korean anime!". I have nothing against Crunchyroll financing anime, but slapping an "Originals" logo onto some anime only for most of them to either be "meh" or flat-out terrible isn't helping the Crunchyroll brand. It just feels like Crunchyroll is tossing money around aimlessly.

I really hope Crunchyroll listens to the feedback on this first wave of Originals and make anime based on interesting properties and gives the right resources/staff to make a good product (unless if Sony scraps the Originals stuff).
myfairx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:06 pm Reply with quote
now that I've seen ep 3 I really like the cell shading model. well, they're expressionless and awkwardly animated but the design itself is full of potential. I like how they render it to look like G-pen. The clothes' crease and hand look like josei style. I doubt the intention, perhaps a byproduct of the modeller preferences.

Lots of people are bashing this. It's quite natural because we're too spoiled by the sheer amount of quality anime out there. This isn't the same like strike witches Hasshin Shimasu series where the low-quality low fps animation is a deliberate creative decision.

This is proof that making animation is a MONUMENTAL task. Especially when you're making a series. Early makoto shinkai's short / ova are barely animated IIRC. He just makes do with creatives way to distract us with strong visuals. what they (early makoto and ex arms team) have in common is a strong desire to create. what motivates them is perhaps their only differences.

This is a wake-up call. These days we took anime for granted too much too easy
Kelohmello

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Madster wrote:
Nothing makes them stand out from other anime on the platform outside of "This was funded by Crunchyroll and look look! We have some Korean anime!". I have nothing against Crunchyroll financing anime, but slapping an "Originals" logo onto some anime only for most of them to either be "meh" or flat-out terrible isn't helping the Crunchyroll brand. It just feels like Crunchyroll is tossing money around aimlessly.

I think this is a bit of an ignorant take. They've managed to get stuff like God of Highschool and Tower of God adapted into anime. Those are two popular Korean webtoons both in and out of their country of origin. Even the isekai spider anime is an adaptation of one of the most popular Narou-kei webnovels. Regardless of whether you don't like them, those have demographic numbers behind them. CR's not in this to make novel or even interesting things, just cash. Popularity, or the clear potential for such, is the play.

Even if you look at the stuff that's almost certainly failed hard for them like Gibiate and Ex-Arm, both of those things on paper definitely sound great to investors and the final product turns out like trash because the actual production is of bad quality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12