• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Persona 5 the Animation Complete Set on Blu-ray Disc

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuScr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:32 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
The real issue here is not the price, as a standard edition can come out later

Since when does Aniplex ever release a standard edition?
Lizuka

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:59 am Reply with quote
The dub might make it a curiosity to check out at least, though what I've watched of the Persona 5 anime it's a pretty awful adaptation on basically every level.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:41 am Reply with quote
Lizuka wrote:
The dub might make it a curiosity to check out at least, though what I've watched of the Persona 5 anime it's a pretty awful adaptation on basically every level.

Yea, the Persona 5 anime wasn't very good, IMO

and I say this as someone who enjoyed the game and loved Royals. To be perfectly honest I think Persona 4 has the better adaptation.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:45 am Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:

Aniplex-USA's pricing policies are almost certainly being set by Aniplex in Japan. $300 is about what the Japanese set costs, and since Japan and the US share the same BR region (Region A), its speculated that the last thing Japanese middle managers want is for their Japanese editions to be undercut by cheaper US printings of the same product. Profit margins are thin enough as it is, and anything they can do to keep the Japanese buying their higher priced editions, they'll do. The US anime market is tiny in comparison to the Japanese market.

Notice that officially licensed Aniplex product for Region B & Region C are nearly always significantly cheaper than Region A pressings of the same title. Blu Rays from Region B & C won't play on a standard Japanese BR machine (although they will play on an All-Regions BR machine, which I understand generally cost much more in Japan).

The Funi Demon Slayer sets were recently relisted to specify they cannot be played outside North America, removing the excuse for the price gouging. Hopefully this becomes the trend that expands to both older and newer Aniplex shows under Funimation.
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Crystalyn wrote:
Munchmunch wrote:
Wasn't there also a pair of OVAs in addition to the two specials? Weird that they aren't included.

They're included. From the article:
Quote:
The PERSONA 5 the Animation's "Complete Blu-ray Set" will include six discs with 26 episodes of the anime series as well as two anime specials PERSONA 5 the Animation: Dark Sun and PERSONA 5 the Animation: Stars and Ours.

There’s still two ovas missing though, the Akechi one and the valentines one. Kinda shitty when the set is $300.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:49 pm Reply with quote
The main cast coming back for the dub was pretty much a given, but it sounds like they also got back David Lodge as Igor. Is this the first new anime role he's done in years?
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
Crystalyn wrote:
Munchmunch wrote:
Wasn't there also a pair of OVAs in addition to the two specials? Weird that they aren't included.

Quote:
The PERSONA 5 the Animation's "Complete Blu-ray Set" will include six discs with 26 episodes of the anime series as well as two anime specials PERSONA 5 the Animation: Dark Sun and PERSONA 5 the Animation: Stars and Ours.

There’s still two ovas missing though, the Akechi one and the valentines one. Kinda shitty when the set is $300.

Yeah, it would be pretty disappointing if they charged this much and didn't even bother to include the last two OVA's. Who knows if they'll even release them...
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
........300 bucks huh....surprised its dubbed at least.

Yeah I love that they're getting the dub cast back for this and loved the game but I'm gonna have to take a chance that it doesn't go out of print before getting a rightstuf price cut at this price let alone for the mixed response this adaptation got. Too much anime I'm already buying this fall and also a PS5 if I can get in a preorder before they sell out presumably around Oct-Nov.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh Aniplex USA, you haven't changed since 2012, have you? Hopefully their relationship with FUNimation will expand to them releasing standard editions of all of their shows. Most other licensors are okay with the US companies just releasing normally-priced sets with locked subs. Why that's too much for Aniplex, I don't know.
Taiyz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:35 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
Crystalyn wrote:
Munchmunch wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, it would be pretty disappointing if they charged this much and didn't even bother to include the last two OVA's. Who knows if they'll even release them...
Yeah I was really excited for this until I saw the contents. They can win back some of my faith if they release an OVA set that includes a dub for The Day Breakers alongside the aforementioned OVAs, but quite frankly I can see myself buying the OVA set by itself and not being able to budget for the box set before it goes out of print because that's how Aniplex rolls.

The price is just something I've resigned myself to when it comes to Aniplex, but quite frankly I feel like I'm gonna vote with my wallet and not buy this unless they announce something about the OVAs; this might seem petty, but they're the biggest piece of new content to come out of the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2