• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami Programming Block Moves to 3-Hour Length

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I just want something that's fun to groupwatch I haven't seen before. Food Wars fit that criteria but I couldn't help myself from getting ahead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:54 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
Horsefellow wrote:

I'm honestly surprised Toonami is still a thing in this day and age where everything is simulcasted. Why wait week by week to watch something that's already fully available online?

They did/are premiering the dubs for JoJo and Lupin. Aside from that, they also at least co-produced the new FLCL series, and there are more of those to come eventually, as seen in this news article.

They are also the only legal place to watch the Demon Slayer and Promised Neverland (two of the most popular shows of 2019) dubs, unless you have access to AnimeLab in Aus/NZ.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:11 pm Reply with quote
ECW28 wrote:
FlyGuySempai wrote:
Who still watches Toonami anymore? The block has been unwatchable trash since 2017.

Lots of people do. I think the best thing about the block is the live discussions that happen on the unofficial subreddit and discord servers.
Thats just one motivation. Secondly, I have services such as FuniNow, i just prefer to watch week by week on Toonami, binging things, unless its on Blu Ray/DVD, just isn’t my style.

That's basically why I still watch Toonami, although currently I only tune in to see the Demon Slayer dub. It's too fun watching people live-react about an episode, even if you already watched it subbed weeks/months ago.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I too also watch the block partly cause I am apart of a weekly chat group & the live reactions are fun.

Also since I am very lazy so I barley get any shows done in my time. The block provides me a sense of scheduling that allows me to actually watch shows even if it’s at a slow pace.

For instance I once started Kimetsu & dropped off at episode 14 not because I didn’t like it but because my attention span go too low & now weeks seem to go by before I even notice it. Now the block is at the point where I dropped off so I can finally continue the show.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, it's nice to have a few shows to watch in a structured time thanks to the block and group watch with people online on the same ep at the same time.

It does seem like now's a decent time to briefly trim the block for a little while with two shows ending right around the same time.

Though as usual I'm a bit surprised they're cutting the last hour too since both of those repeats they more or less just added back to the block since Promised Neverland was still only a couple of eps into its just started repeat and AoT was still in the first half of season 1. So both had plenty of time left to fill. I think they've been doing that a little too often with their repeats for a while now. They really need to do a better job of looking ahead and deciding whether they actually want to run the repeat or not and stop cutting them mid-run. Some people might be watching those for just the first or more likely maybe just second time and I still remember how frustrating that was on even some of the GITS SAC repeat runs lol. Where they'd get to like a few eps from the end and then just shorten the block rather than finish the last few eps.

Freyanne wrote:
ECW28 wrote:
FlyGuySempai wrote:
Who still watches Toonami anymore? The block has been unwatchable trash since 2017.

Lots of people do. I think the best thing about the block is the live discussions that happen on the unofficial subreddit and discord servers.
Thats just one motivation. Secondly, I have services such as FuniNow, i just prefer to watch week by week on Toonami, binging things, unless its on Blu Ray/DVD, just isn’t my style.

That's basically why I still watch Toonami, although currently I only tune in to see the Demon Slayer dub. It's too fun watching people live-react about an episode, even if you already watched it subbed weeks/months ago.

Yeah I think it's fun.
Plus still plenty of dub premieres.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Blade Runner - Black Lotus is still on the menu bois, nice. Not that i ever got worried but things grew silent for a full year.

Naruto or Jump on general as midnight anime, lol. I can see that for JoJo as those run pretty late in Japan but that´s about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched Toonami in like 3 years. Maybe even more.
Not because I don't like it, but because I don't have cable. I really do miss it and wish I could keep watching it. But now I just feel like I'm far too out of the loop to get back into it. Plus, I generally get everything I wanna watch off Crunchyroll.

I still feel like I'm missing out though Sad
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Toonami is trying to find its footing in an age of streaming and simuldubs, where anime is on all the major streaming services without fear of edits (unless it’s a certain softcore show whose opening is a riff on “In the Navy”) and it’s tough. If people want to see MHA they probably watch it on their own time via Hulu or the like. This is probably why they’re dipping their toes into original productions like Uzumaki.

I think that only applies to shows like MHA who have their dub episodes premiere a few weeks earlier on Funimation than Toonami. Toonami’s been doing better at being the initial premiere center for shows like Attack on Titan, The Promised Neverland, and Demon Slayer.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Not gona lie, I'm usually asleep when Toonami is on. I just don't stay up late anymore, plus as a kid it was fun to watch after school and the midnight run, was a fun reason for me to stay up late as a kid for an hour. These days however I just don't care. If I want to watch a show, I just stream it, regardless of the time of day. I do record the dub for Jojo, but I've been less than impressed with the dub for part 5. Ray Chase is awesome as Bruno, but everyone else is just decent at best, IMO. The fact that I saw the entire series in Japanese last year, doesn't exactly motivate me much to finish the dub either.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:01 pm Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:

Sailor Moon is another option, but might cost a lot for the original series and Crystal is not done yet.

I always wondered if Toonami isn't able to get Sailor Moon back on the block, why not go for Madoka Magica, the other important and popular magical girl series, as an alternative? Unless that still being on Netflix affects its chances on Toonami to nil.
CR85747

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:42 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
MoonPhase1 wrote:

Sailor Moon is another option, but might cost a lot for the original series and Crystal is not done yet.

I always wondered if Toonami isn't able to get Sailor Moon back on the block, why not go for Madoka Magica, the other important and popular magical girl series, as an alternative? Unless that still being on Netflix affects its chances on Toonami to nil.

Sailor Moon is on Hulu in the U.S., and Viz won't allow any edits to be made (though it's unclear if those are necessary anymore).
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:43 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
MoonPhase1 wrote:

Netflix doesn’t really own Madoka, they are just showing it which is why you can also watch it on Crunchyroll, Funimation Now and maybe Hulu too. I think Madoka’s problem is that the length of the episodes are a bit unusual in length in some of the episodes which becomes a problem with broadcasting if they are not going to censor it. Though then again Toonami’s TIE events are always off-balanced the first couple of hours.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:17 pm Reply with quote
ECW28 wrote:

Right. Toonami is a communal experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:25 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
ECW28 wrote:

Right. Toonami is a communal experience.

I enjoy Toonami a lot and I don’t even do those things. Watching Toonami is more like an experience. Like you don’t just watch it.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:34 pm Reply with quote
CR85747 wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
MoonPhase1 wrote:

Sailor Moon is on Hulu in the U.S., and Viz won't allow any edits to be made (though it's unclear if those are necessary anymore).

There’s nothing to censor in Sailor Moon anymore and I doubt Toonami has a problem with the Yuri/Yaoi scenes. It’s all a matter if they can get the rights or not or if they even want to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3