• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Take's Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! Manga Gets TV Anime in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:29 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Chrono1000 wrote:

I wouldn't call it revenge but it is good to see a manga series get an anime adaptation that was attacked for zero reason.

I wouldn't call using an image of Uzaki whose a busty high schooler to encourage people (most likely men) to donate blood "attacked for no reason".

Someone is free to criticize the decision of using the art to advertise a blood drive if they like. However criticizing the manga because someone chose to use it to promote a blood drive seems like misplaced blame.

Quote:

And though it shouldn't need to be said if you need to use sexualized imagery to encourage people to donate blood (not sperm) either your priorities or your culture has a problem with plain common sense.

Why does it matter what the imagery is? And for that matter, I doubt the motivation even was sexual at all. The art which was used on the earlier poster was simply the cover to whatever the current volume of the manga was at the time (no. 3, if I remember right). I haven't read any Uzuki-chan, but according to Rebecca Silverman's review here on ANN it doesn't seem to be sexualized much if at all.

To quote her review from August 30 last year:
Quote:
Given the way that Uzaki is drawn – with breasts so large that they're bigger than her head – the story takes surprisingly few ecchi turns. That's a nice surprise, because that means that Uzaki as a character is more than the sum of her boobs; they're a part of her body, but not a piece of who she is as a person. There are a couple of scenes where her design comes into play, but for the most part it's really just an aesthetic choice on the part of the artist.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:48 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Obviously eventhough this would've been made even without the idiocy over them using Uzaki to promote a blood drive.

They used character art from a popular manga to promote a blood donation drive. A very commendable effort. I see no idiocy.

Quote:
I wouldn't call using an image of Uzaki whose a busty high schooler to encourage people (most likely men) to donate blood "attacked for no reason".

If the attack was baseless, as it was, then yes, it was "attacked for no reason"...

Quote:
Chrono1000 wrote:

The poster was completely tame but that person was so egotistical that they would prefer to see people die than to see that poster at blood drives.

Yeah I think you need to step back and rethink this unless she actually said this I guarantee you that wasn't the intent behind her outrage.

However that could have been the effect of what she did. Fortunately reason won and trolls were defeated...

Quote:
And though it shouldn't need to be said if you need to use sexualized imagery to encourage people to donate blood (not sperm) either your priorities or your culture has a problem with plain common sense.

Saying it is sexualised speaks more about your mind than anything else, I see a cutely drawn girl, a lot of things are cute out in the world drawn or not. It's art of the main character from a popular manga, and manga tends to be stylized. Reading this website you should know that...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:47 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:

Why does it matter what the imagery is? And for that matter, I doubt the motivation even was sexual at all.

It's not sexual so they used a character whose popular for a specific reason?

I don't know what the exact intent behind using Uzaki specifically was but I don't think it was soley because "the manga" was popular.

Blanchimont wrote:

They used character art from a popular manga to promote a blood donation drive. A very commendable effort. I see no idiocy.

So say for example they used Fist Of The North Star an iconic and still popular manga one that's known for blood being shed every chapter/episode.

Would that be more logical to encourage people to donate blood?

Or a manga whose main character has a large chest?

Blanchimont wrote:

Saying it is sexualised speaks more about your mind than anything else, I see a cutely drawn girl,

With large breasts under a tight looking shirt.

Blanchimont wrote:
It's art of the main character from a popular manga, and manga tends to be stylized. Reading this website you should know that...

I honestly don't know what this means nor how it reinforces whatever point you're trying to make.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:20 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I don't know what the exact intent behind using Uzaki specifically was but I don't think it was soley because "the manga" was popular.

Considering how popular the manga is, it likely WAS because of it, and because the character was pretty...

Quote:
So say for example they used Fist Of The North Star an iconic and still popular manga one that's known for blood being shed every chapter/episode.

I see no reason they couldn't use that too. It might have been done somewhere already. But it in no way lessens this effort.

Quote:
Or a manga whose main character has a large chest?

It's a light-hearted rom-com about college kids. Using that to entice the younger population who's reading it to the idea of giving blood makes perfect sense.
And just because Uzaki has a large chest doesn't diminish that effort in the least...

Quote:
With large breasts under a tight looking shirt.

She's still cute.

Quote:
I honestly don't know what this means nor how it reinforces whatever point you're trying to make.

It's a manga. It stands to reason a mangaka likely would want to make their characters appealing, and not real life ugly. Manga has always had exaggerated features and not holden to realistic body proportions...
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:05 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
AkumaChef wrote:

Why does it matter what the imagery is? And for that matter, I doubt the motivation even was sexual at all.

It's not sexual so they used a character whose popular for a specific reason?

I think they simply picked a currently trending manga for their advertising. That sort of thing is common in the media industry, just like video game tie-ins, product placement in movies, using currently popular music in ads, etc. The illustration used was the cover for vol. 3, it wasn't specially drawn just for the blood drive, and I don't see anything overtly sexual about it. It's a woman who has big breasts. Whoop de doo. Even the source material the image is drawn from appears to have little sexual content.

Quote:

Or a manga whose main character has a large chest

Whichever one gets the most people to donate blood, which I would think is Uzuki simply because it is currently trendy while Fist is, what, 30+ years old at this point?
James_xeno

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:43 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Obviously eventhough this would've been made even without the idiocy over them using Uzaki to promote a blood drive.

Are you serious? There was certainly idiocy with that whole thing.. But it was with a tiny handful of overly loud nitwits and neo-moralists melting down over a fictional drawing..

BadNewsBlues wrote:

You mean a busty college student. Not that it matters seeing as how it's a fictional character. But it would probably be a good idea to actually have an idea about what it is you want to start pearl clutching and moralizing about. It's also cute how you feel the need to point out your belief that it was likely targeting men, as if that is some sort of proof of wrongdoing or an indictment.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Yeah I think you need to step back and rethink this unless she actually said this I guarantee you that wasn't the intent behind her outrage.

He was clearly talking about likely outcome, not intent. That the person whining was more than likely only concerned with what the poster did to their feel-feels, and what tenets it violated. With all else coming second or not at all. The ideological dogma and stupidity behind the reaction is, as always with such bullshit, quite transparent.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

What the does that even mean? What is it about blood donation that makes it explicitly or implicitly exclusionary to certain types of "imagery"?! Not to mention the idea that there was anything overtly sexual about the image in question, is nonsensical and quite puritan. It's almost like this entire argument was little more than ideological dogma and overt old-school "think of the children" style moralizing extremism from small minded prudes. Lastly.. To look at an image like that and think it too sexual, problematic, that it tells anything about cultural priorities or common sense.. says a lot more about the priorities and common sense of the person holding such views than it does anyone else.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:53 am Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
I think they simply picked a currently trending manga for their advertising. That sort of thing is common in the media industry, just like video game tie-ins, product placement in movies, using currently popular music in ads, etc. The illustration used was the cover for vol. 3, it wasn't specially drawn just for the blood drive, and I don't see anything overtly sexual about it. It's a woman who has big breasts. Whoop de doo. Even the source material the image is drawn from appears to have little sexual content.

Not speaking to you specifically but I think that something that was really 'lost' in the discussion regarding using Uzaki-chan for the blood drive imagery is Uzaki-chan is Take's first real big popular work. Prior Take had been drawing hentai doujinshi and one-shots, and Uzaki-chan will likely be the work that pulls Take out of that section of the manga world into creating more mainstream titles.

I think not only did Red Cross Japan want to use Uzaki-chan because she was popular and her teasing aspect worked well with the message it was trying to send, but I imagine Take JUMPED at the opportunity of having Uzaki-chan portrayed on official imagery that would be distributed throughout Japan. Imagine creating something that really takes off, your character has a lot of recognizable traits, and now all of a sudden she's all over official imagery for Red Cross Japan. I agree; I get that people seem obsessed with her breasts but the source material is fairly tame and handles most of it's sexual situations in a light comedic way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2