• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Stream Studio Ghibli Films Globally Except in U.S., Canada, Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Canadians are literally the only ones who deserve to be angry about this if they’re not getting HBO Max. But US fans have known about the HBO Max deal for months now so I don’t know what people are shocked about. And the amount of misinformation people keep spreading on social media is baffling to me when you can Google all this information easily.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:30 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Ultimately, though, the ever-shifting mire of legal streaming exclusivity divided among a gradually increasing number of separate services is a capitalism problem, not an America problem.

I would say that it is a railroad robber baron situation where several Hollywood studios have far too much power over the media industry. Instead of having hundreds of competing media companies where exclusive streaming contracts would be very detrimental we have an oligarchy of Hollywood studios that offer exclusive content on their own streaming platforms. There was a brief window where Netflix could buy what they wanted since the Hollywood studios didn't care but steaming has gradually turned into the cable TV model which has been updated for the 21st century.
Nodz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Very good news!!! Very Happy
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Those complaining about streaming exclusivity have to consider that it's either multiple outlets competing which makes sub prices more competitive, or more larger monopolies which is convenient but prices are set at whatever they can get away with. There is no utopian system, there are always pros and cons.

Frankly the current state of affairs is the most affordable it has ever been, especially with the choice to freely sub for just a month of unlimited viewing. One can check out entire completed seasons of multiple shows that way. Then switch. This is only an issue for those who absolutely must watch everything every week from everyone. Heck if you have friends and family, people just share accounts or head over to each others place and log in.

As for old Ghibli stuff, if you really need to remain subbed to watch their films anytime, it's cheaper and simpler to just buy your favorites on blu ray. Especially if you're in the 3 omitted countries listed.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
If you want to watch Ghibli movies without paying for HBO Max, you can easily buy them for BD at Walmart for like $15 a pop. It’s not like Ghibli movies are particularly hard to find or that we haven’t watched them all a dozen times by now.

I haven’t seen most of them...and I’m probably not getting HBO unless I could split it with friends...

Question: can an American visiting Europe or Mexico log into their American Netflix account and get access to the catalogue of their physical location?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:11 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:
So the films will be available via HBO Max (which would be why Netflix couldn’t stream them).

Yes. Thing is, far more people in the US have Netflix than HBO Max. Making it another thing we have to buy into.

Ultimately, though, the ever-shifting mire of legal streaming exclusivity divided among a gradually increasing number of separate services is a capitalism problem, not an America problem. Media companies couldn't kill the internet, so they're trying their best to transform it into the old broadcast TV model. Which, so far, mainly seems to giving digital piracy a new lease on life.

No, this is not a capitalism problem. This is an issue of everyone creating their own service to try and kill off Netflix. I wouldn't be surprised that once Netflix is gone, all the other streaming services will go too, because the intended kill target would be gone. NONE of the media companies has ever liked the existence of Netflix.

Media companies have traditionally hated forms of media distribution that they couldn't control. They tried to stop the VHS tape, they made it difficult for Blockbuster to exist (It never made a profit, except for a couple years), and now they're after NetFlix.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Question: can an American visiting Europe or Mexico log into their American Netflix account and get access to the catalogue of their physical location?

Yes. Netflix content is based on your physical location (determined by your IP address). So when you are traveling, you get access to the content from the country you are visiting (and lose access to the content not available on that country).

Interestingly, Amazon Prime bases everything off your home/credit card address. So while traveling, your content doesn't change.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:47 am Reply with quote
There's a simple solution to this, VPN. Just get a VPN for a couple bucks a month and change your location to a country of your choice and then you can browse that country's Netflix content. Easy.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:49 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Media companies couldn't kill the internet, so they're trying their best to transform it into the old broadcast TV model. Which, so far, mainly seems to giving digital piracy a new lease on life.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. TV tried forever to compete with YouTube for years, going so far as to even give YouTubers their own shows and movies on their network to try to get their fandom watching. Didn't really work. Then they eventually realized they could just pay to have YouTube promote their own channels and videos. So now pretty much all the front page trending stuff is segments from late night talk shows and big networks and looks no different than your DirectTV or Xfinity splash screen. You can even rent/buy movies and shows on YouTube.

kusanagi-sama wrote:
No, this is not a capitalism problem. This is an issue of everyone creating their own service to try and kill off Netflix. I wouldn't be surprised that once Netflix is gone, all the other streaming services will go too, because the intended kill target would be gone. NONE of the media companies has ever liked the existence of Netflix.

Media companies have traditionally hated forms of media distribution that they couldn't control. They tried to stop the VHS tape, they made it difficult for Blockbuster to exist (It never made a profit, except for a couple years), and now they're after NetFlix.

Series like The Office and Friends saw huge success on Netflix. It introduced those shows to a new generation and widespread popularity on the internet. The networks who own those shows freaked out and panicked upon realizing they weren't the ones making money out of it. So they scooped the license back from Netflix as soon as they could and are now shoving them on their own upcoming streaming services. Same thing when Disney pulled it's catalog and the upcoming Marvel stuff.

Of course, the problem is nobody new is going to stumble upon those shows now since those services are more niche and specifically for people who want NBC's or HBO's catalog. So they're never going to see another explosion in resurgence again like they did on Netflix. Kinda a paradox. The only people who's going to watch those shows now are the people who are already fans. Everything's getting fragmented again so we'll likely see less and less of older shows blowing up thanks to newfound exposure. But hey, Netflix is getting Seinfeld at least. The streaming wars are only going to get bigger and uglier.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:02 am Reply with quote
Wish Ghibli allowed AT&T to put this on what are arguably the best anime streaming services of any AT&T-owned company: VRV and/or Crunchyroll.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:19 am Reply with quote
In regards to the possibility of the films streaming on Crave in Canada:

https://twitter.com/CarttCa/status/1219685861085806594

"I asked. Their deal with Warner is for HBO Max original content only. So Studio Ghibli would fall outside of that and no, Bell doesn't have the rights to that content."
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Interestingly, Amazon Prime bases everything off your home/credit card address. So while traveling, your content doesn't change.

It actually does. Back in 2018 I was in the US and had Amazon on that address, I couldn't access some shows I was watching when I left the US.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I certainly hope somebody works something out for Canada, as it would be equal parts shameful and silly if only they were left out of newly-streamable Ghibli content.

Tenbyakugon wrote:
I think it’s an interesting thought you’ve arisen though, that the collective of streaming providers could be pushing consumers to the black market because of the collective pricing of providers compared to cable pricing. I think that happens anyway with some people because that’s just fiscally more responsible and U.S.’ laws haven’t codified the illegality of the action of “third party” streaming (unless my knowledge is now outdated) to where it black-and-white is so. (This doesn’t exactly qualify as piracy, by definition, either.) We saw this behavior in more sort of laypeople when they saw they could get services like Terrarium TV and Kodi through their Amazon Fire devices when this is something so many technologically inclined individuals had already been doing this sort of thing for years (why MegaVideo was shut down years prior). Producers attempt to use their decisions to outweigh those of consumers, however in the market the latter is much more prominent, right, so it’s difficult for consumers to actually be overridden if there is a way to circumvent producers’. That back-and-forth of who outdoing whom is just the market.

Pirates are not consumers, strictly speaking; in economic terms, consumers are those who pay for products and services, not simply "any entity that consumes anything." "Just get it for free" is not a valid consumer response to issues with prices or services. Imagine if any other market or business were looked at this way:
"No, I wasn't shoplifting, I was just being more fiscally responsible. All I was doing was trying to outdo the store and circumvent their decision to make people pay for stuff. I can't believe they tried to install anti-theft scanners to override me and my choices. So anti-consumer! That's just the market at work." If we have a situation where so-called "consumers" can just indulge in whatever they want and only pay if they feel like it, then we no longer have a market -- we have economic anarchy.

On a technical level, watching an illegal stream is no different from downloading a file via torrents and such and then deleting it afterwards, as streaming a video downloads a temporary copy to one's cache.

Back around 15-20 years ago, those who were dissatisfied with cable packages and pricing said, "We don't want these expensive, one-size-fits-all deals. Let us pay a la carte to get the content we want." Now that the market has responded by offering those a la carte options (still at a cheaper price than oldschool cable, even with many subscriptions combined), the response is, "We don't want to pay all these multiple subscriptions. Give us everything in one subscription, except make it less than 10% of what cable used to cost, on our own on-demand schedule instead of linear TV schedules, with no commercials, mindblowing innovative interface/recommendation features, and a constant supply of new content with lavish sets/costumes/effects, brilliant writing, and all in HD/4K." I mean at some point, something's got to give. Seems to me like it's the "consumers" who've gotten too greedy and are demanding too much for too little.

As jdnation points out, the current landscape, whether in anime or mainstream/Western entertainment, is far more affordable than it was in the past. There may some bumps in the road, but the overall slope in costs is an unmistakable descent.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
In regards to the possibility of the films streaming on Crave in Canada:

https://twitter.com/CarttCa/status/1219685861085806594

"I asked. Their deal with Warner is for HBO Max original content only. So Studio Ghibli would fall outside of that and no, Bell doesn't have the rights to that content."

That's certainly concerning. If Bell doesn't have the rights, why couldn't Netflix gave gotten it for Canada? Or is Warner just gonna sit on CA rights and not offer legal access? That would basically make them the only country in the world that wouldn't be able to stream Ghibli (unless countries that don't have Netflix like China are in a similar situation).
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:08 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
That's certainly concerning. If Bell doesn't have the rights, why couldn't Netflix gave gotten it for Canada? Or is Warner just gonna sit on CA rights and not offer legal access? That would basically make them the only country in the world that wouldn't be able to stream Ghibli (unless countries that don't have Netflix like China are in a similar situation).

GKIDS are behind the HBO Max deal.
The Wild Bunch are behind the international Netflix sale.

GKIDS likely has the Canadian Ghibli SVOD rights, but because Netflix wasn't dealing with them, they were never on the table. I'm not sure how often Netflix makes individual content agreements for a market as "small" as Canada. They stream other GKIDS material, so it's not impossible those get bundled in a future deal, but still.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3