• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hana to Yume Magazine Lists New Anime for Natsuki Takaya's Fruits Basket Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lys

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:05 am Reply with quote
Recovering from my initial great surprise, I'm wondering how and by whom this Hana to Yume cover image was discovered on the official website--it's not shown anywhere in plain sight (they generally don't reveal the new issue's cover publicly until the day it goes on sale). The magazine itself won't be out for 8 more days...
Oggers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:22 am Reply with quote
This is a pleasant surprise! I was really into Fruits Basket as a teenager, and it would be great to see the manga's whole story finally adapted into an anime.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:02 am Reply with quote
pirateaddict wrote:
That would be epic, I've wanted the rest of the manga to be animated since I watched the first series. The manga was wonderful and I was frustrated that they didn't continue with it.

Same! I'm absolutely giddy at this possibility. Fruits Basket remains one of my all-time favorite shoujo manga; its soap opera-levels of drama and emotion were my jam and it actually got me to rethink about life and how I approached stressful situations.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote
MischievousMelody wrote:
wolf10 wrote:
Wait, that Natsuki Takaya is allowing her work to be adapted into an anime? And FruBa, of all things? What world line is this?

Fruits Basket got an anime adaptation before. Is there something weird about that?

Anyway, considering how good the manga is, this anime could be worth a watch.

There is. She said on multiple occasions that she would not let there be another Fruits Basket anime because of differing views between her and the director.
XSp

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:39 am Reply with quote
Well then, prepare your tearducts!
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
MischievousMelody wrote:
wolf10 wrote:
Wait, that Natsuki Takaya is allowing her work to be adapted into an anime? And FruBa, of all things? What world line is this?

Fruits Basket got an anime adaptation before. Is there something weird about that?

Anyway, considering how good the manga is, this anime could be worth a watch.

Takaya was notoriously difficult to work with during the production of the original anime. She often got into arguments with the director and complained when certain voice actors didn't play the characters she wanted. People theorize that's the reason why there was never a second season (that, and Akito spoiler[being voiced by a man] retroactively created a huge plot hole).
Spooky Blades

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
Omg, finally they decided to adapt the rest of the story, i hope they do it well because there is a lot of material to cover.
starlightshine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Holy mother of anime, this was not news I ever expected to hear. Never would I have expected a day of seeing a complete anime adaptation of one of my favourite manga ever. I wonder how on earth they managed to convince Takaya-sensei to let them adapt Furuba again after the 2001 anime...

Kaori Makimura wrote:

I hope that the music is similar to the 2001 series, it was incredible and fit very well.

Not sure if you know but the artist who did most of Furuba's OST, as well as the OP and ED, passed away about a decade ago, so they will definitely have to hire someone new to do the music. I just hope it's someone who can give us a magnificent one like the original anime's one was.

Edit: Forgot to mention the name, it's Okazaki Ritsuko.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Fruits Basket is getting a new modern day anime reboot to properly tell the complete story? I am so in!

Now the big question that everyone will be asking is whether or not Funimation will be able to try to get Laura Bailey back to reprise her role as Tohru because the last time that we heard Bailey in an anime role was Soul Eater and its spinoff and that felt like a long time ago! If they're unable to get her back then I guess Alexis Tipton will feel like a suitable replacement if they are unable to get Bailey back.

Knowing how long the last anime series was and knowing the twists and revelations of where the manga ended up since then, I expect some recastings to be in order after knowing what Akito's back story entails.
connysanada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
THis is very good! Fruits Basket was the first anime I fully watched and that got me hooked up to the manga/anime genre, so much that a reboot is necesary!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why people keep assuming that Funimation will be dubbing the new version? This will probably be the subject of a bidding war as soon as the right's holders open negotiations (long before it airs). It could be any of the North American distributors depending on factors we can't analyze at the moment. Could be Aniplex for all we know at the moment. Twisted Evil
Inverti Herikawa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I wonder why people keep assuming that Funimation will be dubbing the new version? This will probably be the subject of a bidding war as soon as the right's holders open negotiations (long before it airs). It could be any of the North American distributors depending on factors we can't analyze at the moment. Could be Aniplex for all we know at the moment. Twisted Evil

Because Funimation still owns the license for the first Fruits Basket series. Judging by Funimation's licensing patterns, they'll likely grab the new series too, seeing as FB is one of their earlier dubs, and it holds nostalgic value for them and for the fans of the dub. It WOULD be for the best if Funi gets the license, since that's the only way we're ever gonna see Eng reprisals for the same characters.

Laura Bailey most probably won't be returning to reprise as Toru, and I'd be really freaking surprised if she does. Funi's probably gonna go for Alexis Tipton to fill in as Toru though, since Alexis is Laura's soundalike. Despite that, I could definitely see Eric Vale (Yuki), Jerry Jewell (Kyo), John Burgmeier (Shigure) and many more VAs from the Eng dub reprising. Not all of them, since some of them no longer voice for Funi, but definitely a lot of them.

Last edited by Inverti Herikawa on Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
SailorPluto1313

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeeeeesss!! This anime is a classic and definitely deserves a new adaption that will tell the WHOLE story this time.

I hope they go back to some other anime that need a serious remake to adapt the whole story like Pandora Hearts, 07-Ghost, and Vampire Knight, with the first two needing an English dub.

I love news like this, because it means there is still hope for some series to get their whole story animated in the future.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Oh my new Fruba anime?! Be still my heart! I really hope it's a full series. (though I wouldn't totally mind a belated second season) I love the original plenty but I'd like to see what a new anime would do in expanding more of the story the original wasn't able to cover.

I know we're all thinking well ahead in terms of English dubbing but hopefully if it goes to Funimation again they'd be able to get most of the cast back.

I know some have gone largely behind the scenes but most of the primary cast seems to be there (granted I'm sure there's plenty who aren't). At the very least I'd imagine Laura Bailey will be jumping at the chance she absolutely loves Thoru.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, what news to wake up to! I remember seeing a couple episodes of the 2001 anime due to being involved in an anime club in high school and I liked what I saw, but never got around to actually watching the rest of it. Now that I’m seeing the responses here about how flawed that anime was as a adaptation, I think I would gladly re-start my entry in this series by watching this remake. This is going to be quite interesting, to say the least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4