• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Release Dragon Ball Super: Broly in Theaters in January

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Southkaio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Johnny Galecki as Broly

Would you folks like to see this happening?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:02 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I think this speaks to what Super has been about lately. And it's a sad truth of the state of DB. Merchandising. Broly was a very popular villain among casual fans due to his brutality and savagery, so Toriyama is bringing him back. However, like with Frieza in the Resurrection F arc/movie, it's a bad move. Super is far too watered down to make a character like Broly truly work.

Super did interesting things with an interesting villain, Freeza. Broly isn't even a tenth as charismatic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Here’s the interesting thing all you Broly haters seem to be forgetting.

The guy hasn’t had a movie in 25 years. It’s literally been over 2 decades since he’s been a major character in anything.

So stop acting like DB majorly puts him in everything when he all is these days is just another fanservice character like Bardock or Bojack’s female minion.

Plus it should always be stated that Broly is gonna get a heavy reimagining so he might end up being a completely different character.

Also honestly I’m kind of disturbed by the rather elitist vibe going on here. So some people like Broly, so what? Guys a decent popcorn villain like all the rest of the old DBZ movie villains.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Enturax wrote:

The only reason Super still exists is because of the unthinking fans who are SUPER easy to satisfy, no matter how many times it'd have stumbled and fall off the cliff, the brainiacs of the fanbase will be waiting on the bottom to catch it, just so they can be together at the bottom.

This bit presumes that all of DragonBall prior to Super had quality writing, characterizations, & animation.

Scion Drake wrote:
So stop acting like DB majorly puts him in everything when he all is these days is just another fanservice character like Bardock or Bojack’s female minion.

............Ummmm Bardock is nowhere near as hyped up as Brolly nor is Zangya (who unlike the other 2 hasn't been featured all that regularly in various media.

Hell she wasn't even playable in Budokai 3 while those two were.
Enturax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:02 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

This bit presumes that all of DragonBall prior to Super had quality writing, characterizations, & animation.

Please, don't be another one of those people accusing DB/Z for what it wasn't meant to be just so you can defend Super for what it isn't, because it certainly isn't a good DBZ continuation. And before you say that Z wasn't a good continuation of the original, go check its last episodes and compare it to Z's 1st. Not that it's important because people hoped for a Z-like continuation and the creators clearly wanted to do that very thing too.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I've always been fine with Broly, but for those who aren't...c'mon, this is a whole new Broly written by Toriyama. Give him a chance.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Enturax wrote:

Please, don't be another one of those people accusing DB/Z for what it wasn't meant to be just so you can defend Super

Please don't be one of those DragonBall Z fans who engage in hyperbole and other nonsense to make Super out to be much worse than it really is..oh wait too late.

Enturax wrote:

for what it isn't, because it certainly isn't a good DBZ continuation.

Neither was GT and depending on who you ask part 2/Z what's your point?

Enturax wrote:

And before you say that Z wasn't a good continuation of the original, go check its last episodes and compare it to Z's 1st.

Why would I do this when I don't hate Z and when I'm not someone whose grasping on straws to justify his contempt of Super (which I also don't hate) which yes has it's flaws.....just like Z and Part 1?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2