• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: '[New Life+] Young Again in Another World' Anime's Protagonist, Novel Creator Cause Contro

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:

Because he is referencing a historical event he is a racist? At the end of the day it's just fiction, if you don't like it then ignore it no one is forcing you to watch it...

No, he is not racist for “referencing historical events”, he is being downright a dick for calling Chinese people “bugs” and their country as “bug country”, and calling Koreans in the meanest way possible, how would you defend that?

If he is projecting his personal hatred toward certain countries, then they have all the rights in the world to at least call him out.

PS: You can check his Twitter account, he shamelessly admits he purposely referenced the Rape of Nanjing, and try to harass people who call him out. After several rounds of flame war, he deleted all of his tweets about the bug country.
-SP-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Vent wrote:
-SP- wrote:

Because he is referencing a historical event he is a racist? At the end of the day it's just fiction, if you don't like it then ignore it no one is forcing you to watch it...

I mean, when the historical event he's referencing is a war crime perpetrated by his country during its attack on another country he has in the past referred to using a specific negative bigoted term, and he's using it as jokey joke backstory in his silly isekai harem series...

Yyyyeeaah? Probably?

If I were to write a story using the Nagasaki and Hiroshima bombings as a backstory and talked about how many Japanese I killed, would that make me a racist? I don't think so. At the end of the day he was referencing a historical event, there no need to jump the gun and assume his intentions were bad.

Engineering Nerd wrote:
-SP- wrote:

No, he is not racist for “referencing historical events”, he is being downright a dick for calling Chinese people “bugs” and their country as “bug country”, and calling Koreans in the meanest way possible, how would you defend that?

If he is projecting his personal hatred toward certain countries, then they have all the rights in the world to at least call him out.

PS: You can check his Twitter account, he shamelessly admits he purposely referenced the Rape of Nanjing, and try to harass people who call him out. After several rounds of flame war, he deleted all of his tweets about the bug country.

I don't know what your talking about, I am simply going off of what I know of which is whatever was listed in this article. I only made a judgement based on this information, if he did say that, then that is a different issue.

Last edited by -SP- on Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Man reading these first few comments seriously makes me want to puke.

I want to thank a few commenters for adding context to the controversy and noting that the people slaughtered by the protagonist were not Chinese. The author does appear to have made racist comments in the past, but that does not seem to translate into his work(at least I hope). I'm gonna I'll head to r/anime to see what the deal is.

But commenters saying that fiction doesn't matter so you can't get mad about it is some of the dumbest crap I've heard, made even stupider by the fact that that's the go to argument of lots of anime fans that don't like criticism of the medium. Anime is racist,sexist,shallow? It's fiction, don't get so butthurt, you snowflake! I'm glad this seems to be a false alarm, otherwise I'd be a lot more pissed at the immaturity here.
meruru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Also, to help put it on perspective, the thousands number might not even be much of an artistic exaggeration. They killed a many as 400 thousand Chinese, they did things like hold contests to see who could kill 100 in one go. It was VERY horrific.
Otaku Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
GlassesMan wrote:

I want to thank a few commenters for adding context to the controversy and noting that the people slaughtered by the protagonist were not Chinese. The author does appear to have made racist comments in the past, but that does not seem to translate into his work(at least I hope). I'm gonna I'll head to r/anime to see what the deal is.

But commenters saying that fiction doesn't matter so you can't get mad about it is some of the dumbest crap I've heard, made even stupider by the fact that that's the go to argument of lots of anime fans that don't like criticism of the medium. Anime is racist,sexist,shallow? It's fiction, don't get so butthurt, you snowflake! I'm glad this seems to be a false alarm, otherwise I'd be a lot more pissed at the immaturity here.

People have different opinions get over it. Fiction is fiction and non-fiction is not, if authors want to hide behind a fiction work then so be it. It's not immaturity but a way to justify their opinions.
Otaku Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Otaku Sensei wrote:
GlassesMan wrote:

People have different opinions get over it. Fiction is fiction and non-fiction is not, if authors want to hide behind a fiction work then so be it. It's not immaturity but a way to justify their opinions.

meruru wrote:
Also, to help put it on perspective, the thousands number might not even be much of an artistic exaggeration. They killed a many as 400 thousand Chinese, they did things like hold contests to see who could kill 100 in one go. It was VERY horrific.

Yes it was horrific just like every other war in the world, Also 400,000 was an estimate from China, no one really knows how many people were killed.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
[quote=“sp”]
I don't know what your talking about, I am simply going off of what I know of which is whatever was listed in this article. I only made a judgement based on this information, if he did say that, then that is a different issue.[/quote]

Then please read the article again, on the Twitter part, to see what kind of degrading language the guy you are defending just said. I believe you are decent enough to at least call him out on that part at least
-SP-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
[quote=“sp”]
I don't know what your talking about, I am simply going off of what I know of which is whatever was listed in this article. I only made a judgement based on this information, if he did say that, then that is a different issue.

Then please read the article again, on the Twitter part, to see what kind of degrading language the guy you are defending just said. I believe you are decent enough to at least call him out on that part at least

I missed that part, so I will admit my mistake there, regardless I still believe that people are getting carried away by this. There are countless fiction stories based on wars, this is nothing new to me, don't like it? then move on, I don't care for this manga so I won't be checking out the Anime.

Last edited by -SP- on Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
You've made your stance very clear. It's just also absurd.
Congress

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Otaku Sensei wrote:
Otaku Sensei wrote:
GlassesMan wrote:

meruru wrote:

Yes it was horrific just like every other war in the world, Also 400,000 was an estimate from China, no one really knows how many people were killed.

No one knows how many people really died in the Holocaust, either.

If you have no reason to doubt the numbers, just don't do it. Doing so opens up a can of worms that you really don't want to deal with.
-SP-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Vent wrote:
You've made your stance very clear. It's just also absurd.

I assume your talking to me, if so then let me you my stance is not "absurd" but realistic. This manga was made for the Japanese audience, wow I know surprising. So I an individual Chinese guys opinions matter much. I already admitted to not properly reading the article, which was my own mistake, so I won't defend the guy. But if you don't like what you see then ignore it. The Japanese nuclear bombings are referenced in plenty of tv shows and books, Some in very bad ways, but do the creators care about the opinions of the Japanese? I doubt it. At the end of the day this event took place, there's no reason to let it bother you any further, especially since this is created by the citizen of the country that committed the crime.
Otaku Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Congress wrote:
Otaku Sensei wrote:
Otaku Sensei wrote:
GlassesMan wrote:

meruru wrote:

No one knows how many people really died in the Holocaust, either.

If you have no reason to doubt the numbers, just don't do it. Doing so opens up a can of worms that you really don't want to deal with.

That's essentially the same thing as listing the exact numbers, if you don't know, don't list it.
Cloudywind

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:04 pm Reply with quote
While the author's views are deplorable, discussions I've read on this topic elsewhere indicate that

- the book makes no mention that the war was the Second Sino-Japanese War, it simply states that it was a "world war" without even offering any dates

- contrary to SonmiChina's assertions on certain forums, the book makes no mention of the Rape of Nanking, nor the identity of the 3700ish people he killed throughout his military service, nor does it say that these people were killed in China, only that he was in China working for the Mafia for 5 years before joining the army

- SonmiChina's own calculations that place him in WW2 (that he was 94 in 2014, went to China at the age of 15 in 1935, and joined the army in 1940) mean the main character couldn't even have been at the Rape of Nanking, since it happened in late 1937, during which time the main character is mentioned to have been working for the Chinese mafia and killed 900 or so people as a mafia assassin

It seems more like the writer just threw out some ridiculous number to make his character seem like an edgy badass "oh he killed 900 people for the Chinese mafia, then 3700 people in a world war" without thinking too hard about the deeper potentially war crime related ramifications. Heck, the main character had his memory wiped by God so he doesn't even remember his life on Earth, this is just an edgy backstory the author came up with later.

I really think SonmiChina would have been better off just focusing on the author's racist tweets, since those at least are entirely unambiguous and don't rely on subtle implications.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Bunch of retarded complaining about an anime
You have to be too mentally weak to take offense at something like that.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I really don't care much about the main subject matter here because I don't want to debate in something like that. What's more annoying to me is the fact that this seems like another light novel with harem again and I'm not happy with that. Can't they make this like Youjo Senki at least or akin to Drifters or even Hellsing Ultimate, badass old man being younger again to fight in the frontline of war in another world, that discusses about the aspects of war in various circumstances while showcasing epic fantasy battles? Nope.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4