• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Reveals Map of Most Popular Winter Anime Simulcasts in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Why isn't Cardcaptor Sakura doing better on the map? The original series might not have been as big as Sailor Moon, but it has a big enough niche following. The Clear Card arc seems mostly positively received by fans and it did well enough it contributed to Crunchyroll's servers crashing the first few weeks aired.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
"Franxx" should be at the top in Arizona.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:25 pm Reply with quote
So it seems the majority of the people in my home state of Virginia likes watching Record of Grancrest War.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:08 pm Reply with quote
And as usual, I can't even tell what my state is watching. I think it's FranXX but it may as well be "small blue blob", which is the same result in the electoral map.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:07 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
My trash state is watching Death March the most. Rolling Eyes
My former trash home is too. I actually am beginning to like it a little, surprised they even watch anime as everything was "baseball" and "hockey" when I was there. I was the only kid on my block that saw and liked AstroBoy...
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing this more than a week ago. Kinda late on this one ANN.
CTM162

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm a resident of Michigan and can concur with the rest of you Midwesterners about Death March. I don't know anyone here that watches that, but then again, I'm also from the Upper Peninsula; our overall population is somewhere around 300,000.

XerBlade wrote:
You know, Crunchyroll in the source article never once claimed that Frankxx was the most popular series, and being the at the top of the chart in more states than other entries does not mean that it is the most popular series. That isn't how statistics work. I mean, elections should've taught you that much, even if there is that little wrinkle where statistics don't work anything like how human beings in general normally think they should.

While I agree with you on that (Crunchyroll did indeed not say any such thing), there is yet another possibility, based on how little we know from the data gathered: it's possible that some states simply have more viewers than others, despite their overall population. California has more people than New York does, but New York may have more people watching anime, for example.

Doesn't excuse ANN's laziness, though--nor am I defending it (and if I had to say, I'd probably say the same about Overlord II for the same reason). Statistics can indeed lie based on how inaccurate and incomplete a picture they sometimes tell. Crunchyroll is also not providing all its information. I don't know how that data was collected, for instance, or what the numbers are. How do they break it down by state? Do they gather data from registered IP addresses? Accounts? Are they measuring the quantity of time spent watching a show? Crunchyroll says on their website that they measure which show has the most current viewers, by state (so I suppose they are measuring the quantity of views). But how do they measure that? I'd be curious to know.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:27 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
And as usual, I can't even tell what my state is watching. I think it's FranXX but it may as well be "small blue blob", which is the same result in the electoral map.

Which State? I can read them all easily enough. If Rhode Island, yes, it's Darling, but it's 002's head, so I'm not sure what you mean by "small blue blob". If its Massachusetts, that's Overlord II.
MJKS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:48 am Reply with quote
Oh, rats, somebody already made the electoral college joke. Laughing
Nyron

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:22 am Reply with quote
Kind of great how the worst states in the union all have Death March Iselai Harem herpaderp as their #1

Now i know where to never live in the future
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:36 am Reply with quote
Even though Citrus is not doing well in its home country, it is in the US and it is even a massive hit in Europe. Countries from that continent like Spain are fond of dramas and telenovelas. Just another proof that the world loves and respects yuri except Japan where it originates from.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:23 am Reply with quote
This picture of the u.s.a. should be covered with garo. Buts is not. I smell a horror.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:25 pm Reply with quote
CTM162 wrote:
While I agree with you on that (Crunchyroll did indeed not say any such thing), there is yet another possibility, based on how little we know from the data gathered: it's possible that some states simply have more viewers than others, despite their overall population. California has more people than New York does, but New York may have more people watching anime, for example.

Doesn't excuse ANN's laziness, though--nor am I defending it (and if I had to say, I'd probably say the same about Overlord II for the same reason). Statistics can indeed lie based on how inaccurate and incomplete a picture they sometimes tell. Crunchyroll is also not providing all its information. I don't know how that data was collected, for instance, or what the numbers are. How do they break it down by state? Do they gather data from registered IP addresses? Accounts? Are they measuring the quantity of time spent watching a show? Crunchyroll says on their website that they measure which show has the most current viewers, by state (so I suppose they are measuring the quantity of views). But how do they measure that? I'd be curious to know.

If we're going to scrutinize this list so, we may as well throw it away entirely because it only accounts for people who watch anime via CrunchyRoll, and the millions of people who watch it through other means aren't taken into consideration. It's just a neat little chart, not a gospel of truth of American interest.

-Stuart Smith
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Why isn't Cardcaptor Sakura doing better on the map? The original series might not have been as big as Sailor Moon, but it has a big enough niche following. The Clear Card arc seems mostly positively received by fans and it did well enough it contributed to Crunchyroll's servers crashing the first few weeks aired.

Some anime fans simply do not like Magical Girl series, even ones that are violent and dark.
CTM162

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
If we're going to scrutinize this list so, we may as well throw it away entirely because it only accounts for people who watch anime via CrunchyRoll, and the millions of people who watch it through other means aren't taken into consideration. It's just a neat little chart, not a gospel of truth of American interest.

I never claimed it to be. I was expressing interest in how Crunchyroll gathers its data, because as such I can look at it and, well, I typically like knowing how data is compiled (it's right there in my subject heading, in fact). I'm like that, you know. Crunchyroll is indeed only one such place to watch anime online, and so I expressed interest in what they had to say. I wish more existed elsewhere so that I could compare data, but at the moment I don't know of any such place. And at any rate you're never going to get an accurate picture with this logic, because (among other things) there are of course those who simply pirate and don't watch shows through official channels.

I also agreed with the other poster about ANN's laziness in reporting how Crunchyroll gathered its data, because it just looked sloppy, like playing a game of telephone. It wasn't supposed to imply anything more. If you are calling attention to my first paragraph, that was a tongue-in-cheek comment on a show I have zero interest in. Given the subject matter I felt it prudent to point out that, as a person who sometimes uses Crunchyroll, I didn't represent my state there. Because I don't care much for Death March. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3