• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Quick Answers Part 5

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We'll likely never know the answer to that, although if you asked me personally, I'd wager it doesn't have as much of a problem as Hollywood

Really? I'd wager it's worse. Sexual harassment is generally considered part of a culture in Japan, and most crimes go unreported because people don't want to cause trouble for themselves or their family members.

Consider this article from last year: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/11/05/national/media-national/dubious-cost-sexual-assault-japan/#.WfekaFRSxdg[/u]
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I have only limited experience with J-Pop and K-Pop, but what I've seen of the latter is more sexualized than Japanese groups. Girls' Generation in particular seems very different from AKB48. Here's the former appearing with David Letterman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exa5-P0_uKo I wouldn't call that performance "cutesy." It did blow Regis Philbin's whistle though.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Re: Sexual Harassment: sexual harassment is mentioned a lot in anime and manga. As a joke ("LOL, if you say something like that, she'll accuse you of sexual harassment!") Or a threat (female character to male character: "if you don't do what I want you to do, I'll falsely accuse you of sexual harassment!") It has been used in a context that takes it seriously and sympathizes with the victim occasionally, but the jokey-threatening uses are much more frequent.
I used to roll my eyes at the jokes, but it's been bothering me more every time I notice them. As Justin noted, it's considered embarrassing for everyone involved to accuse a co-worker of sexual harassment, including the victim, so I suspect the problem is more widespread than it is reported, much like subway molestations.

Just three years ago, a female assembly woman was taunted by an older male Diet member as she was giving a speech on women in the workplace.. The assemblyman later apologized and resigned after a lot of public pressure. But if he felt entitled to do that in public at a Diet meeting, I can't imagine what people think they can get away with in private business.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
The only one I ever remember hearing about Japanese fans liking the English dub (before today) was Lucky Star
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-01-07/lucky-star-bd-ships-in-japan-in-may-with-english-track

I heard that one on a different forum, that a few Japanese fans were pleased with the English VAs' performances particularly Tsukasa.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:48 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
I've heard rumors about some Japanese fans preferring the dubbed voices for certain shows/characters (e.g. Cowboy Bebop, and Johnny Yong Bosch's Lelouch in Code Geass). Obviously, the majority wouldn't have heard them, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised, particularly for these titles.

I'm... advanced-intermediate, let's say, in Japanese, and I have different preferences for different shows. There are a lot of shows that have a large portion of both English and Japanese casts in common with Code Geass, and I tend to prefer the dubs for those (K, in particular). I don't know how someone wouldn't prefer Bosch's performance in either of those, he has so much more depth than either of those seiyuu... his performance shows both the strength and intelligence, and vulnerability of both those characters (Lelouch and Fushimi), plus that teasing sexiness that drips out like honey...

But my current favorite show, on the other hand, is an idol show where the characters are influenced so much by their seiyuu, who play them in live shows as well, that I don't think a dub would work for it, because the characters are their voice actors. In a very Disney-like way. (particularly KENN's character <3 )

I wish they'd make an idol show in English, so I could see what some of my favorite English voice actors would do with characters like that... (Like, an original English series of drama CDs or something, not a dub of a Japanese series).

........ why don't English voice actors do drama CDs? They say it's because people would pirate them, but someone should organize a kickstarter or something for them. The dubbed Code Geass drama CDs are some of the greatest things ever.

I honestly wouldn't put Bosch before Fukuyama, both are equally good at the roles. Though Fukuyama's Lelouch has a much more booming voice than Bosch's, that's the only big difference. But I can't honestly say one is better than the other here. I could say that about Trigun though.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

yeah, but the question is about the anime industry in particular.
GSAttack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Just as several others have already posted I went to school back when many schools were changing the grades they covered. There was Elementary School, Middle School, Junior High School and High School. During that time for me 9th Graders were referred to as Freshman regardless if they were in a 4-year High School or their last year in Junior High. The other 3 references were still used for 10th through 12th grade. With all the housing development, the schools were transitioning the grades they covered based on the student population in their area.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:37 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
v1cious wrote:

yeah, but the question is about the anime industry in particular.

If it's ingrained in their normal culture, don't you think it's gonna be commonplace in the anime industry as well? We already know how charges are treated by the Japanese entertainment industry, as outlined by said article.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
There's the long-held claim the "Cowboy Bebop" director preferred the Eng. dub over the Japanese. Even if these are just rumors, I would say many of us dub fans would like to know some of the sources of how these rumors came about.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
10-12. Freshman, Sophomore, Senior. As a kid, when I read books, I had to sort out what this "junior" nonsense was and why people in the 10th grade were called sophomores.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Really? I'd wager it's worse. Sexual harassment is generally considered part of a culture in Japan, and most crimes go unreported because people don't want to cause trouble for themselves or their family members.

Consider this article from last year: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/11/05/national/media-national/dubious-cost-sexual-assault-japan/#.WfekaFRSxdg[/u]

How is this any different than America? It took some of these people decades to even mention Weinstein, or any other people being creeps. Kevin Spacey was accused of an incident that happened over 30 years ago just the other day. If the only proof you have is 'not all crimes are reported', then it's not a very strong argument because that applies to every other culture as well. Your article mentions an actor settling out of court, which is common here as well. It's very common how a few hundred thousand dollars suddenly makes accusations go away.

HeeroTX wrote:
The only one I ever remember hearing about Japanese fans liking the English dub (before today) was Lucky Star
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-01-07/lucky-star-bd-ships-in-japan-in-may-with-english-track

Nothing in that article says Japanese fans like the dub, it just mentions the dub appears on the BD, which is not uncommon for rereleases since its an easy bonus. Any dub being preferable to the original in Japan makes little sense given the huge fandom of Seiyuu culture. It sounds like the whishes of American fans wanting to be relevant in Japan.

-Stuart Smith
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

HeeroTX wrote:

Nothing in that article says Japanese fans like the dub, it just mentions the dub appears on the BD, which is not uncommon for rereleases since its an easy bonus. Any dub being preferable to the original in Japan makes little sense given the huge fandom of Seiyuu culture. It sounds like the whishes of American fans wanting to be relevant in Japan.

-Stuart Smith

To them I'm sure it's more a curiosity bonus. Though I'm sure if we subtitled certain English dubs to anime for them where the dubbers added a wealth of profanity to the title that wasn't in the original they'd laugh their butts off. Or maybe just shake their heads.
Superfield

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I live in Utah, and the post-war scenario that he described is exactly how our school system is structured. High school technically begins (that is, your grades start to count towards graduation) in 9th grade (which is universally referred to using that term, and not "freshmen"), although you are still at the junior high building. 10th is "sophomore", with 11th and 12th being "junior" and "senior", as you'd expect.

There's been some discussion within the district of bringing the 9th graders into the high school proper, but it's never gotten far, as people around here like that kids get a little more time before being thrown to the high school wolves, particularly in regards to physical education (there are some who don't even like that phys ed has classes that span grades at all).
FD2Raptor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:41 am Reply with quote
Regarding conversation about Eng Dub in Japan:
There was that YuYuYu Eng dub by Pony Canyon that was mentioned on the shows official radio program by the three host seiyuu, Terui Haruka Uchida Yumi and Kurosawa Tomoyo. And I kinda remembered that in the discussion they seemed to be under the impression that DVD+BD packaging is the norm in the US. This was like 2 years ago so while I think they did comment on how the Eng dub sounds, I don't really remember the specifics (plus this being a PonyC dub, I don't think that they'd be saying anything negative about it anyway).

And I think there was another instance in the Love Live Sunshine radio, in the context before Aquors went to the US and the seiyuus wondered how did the speech quirks/catch phrase of their character (the "zura" of Hanamaru, "Giran" of Yohane or the "Kiseki da yo - It's a miracle" by Chika, etc...) translate to English.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:43 am Reply with quote
Wow, I did not know American schools used to be structured the same way as Japanese schools are now. I also didn't know Junior High was/is even a thing. I thought Middle/Intermediate/Junior High were all just embellishing terms that meant the same thing, since all the schools with those names cover the same grade years (7-8) in my area, to my knowledge.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3