• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Amazon Prime Video - Worst Streaming Platform Ever?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
The final episode of Atom The Beginning was showing a "video unavailable" error message for over a week. Finally talked to them using their chat feature- after a half hour of confirming it wasn't on my side and that the problem was on more than one device thewy apologized and gave $5 for my time. It was up the next day.

But yes, I've had similar problems as above. Shows not loading on broadcast day, missing subtitles.

Although with their subtitles you have to remember that they run them through their Closed Captioning function and they remember the last choice you made on the video player. So, if you watched something else, like a movie in English, and turned the CC off for it- you won't have subtitles the next time you watch anime.

Psycho 101 wrote:
I am going to move this to the General Anime section. Doesn't really fit in the Retail section. Plus others, who might have the same issue, might see and comment in the more widely used Anime section.

I'll say it again. - The forum could really use a Streaming/Broadcast section under the retail section just to talk about these sorts of issues and simply keep track of what's "on."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:01 am Reply with quote
@ Spastic Minnow - I was aware of how changing your settings can effect things, but that's not an issue for me since, so far, the only thing I've watched on AP is anime. Even if I go into settings to try and turn on the subtitle option, it will show that there are no subtitles to select.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
Yes, that's how its been when I've had the same problem.
I hven't had any problem with Girl's Last Tour on the US Anime Strike yet. I think one episode of Ballroom initially didn't have subs once this past season though. They were up the second time I checked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Himouto! Umaru-chan R #4 is currently without subtitles on US' Anime Strike.
Found the contact link, reported the problem via chat, had to confirm the problem. They basically said that the content provider uploaded it without including the subtitles, they'll contact them to get it fixed.
They gave me $5 again.

... so, don''t see it as a problem... see it as a way to get $5 (aka the cost of a month of Anime Strike... although they don't apply it to monthly charges- only purchases)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
That episode had subtitles for me. Getting a $5 rebate is not an option for me since we don't get Anime Strike in Canada. All AS titles we get up show up in the AP videos. I suppose if I made enough of stink, I might get some sort of rebate. I'd rather just have dependable service, though.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
The rebate is from Amazon itself, I was just equating the cost. It has nothing to do with the Anime Strike service.
The moral is, Amazon wants people to tell them when something is wrong and will apologize for issues you bring them with rebates... but only for purchases
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I get ya. Something for me to ponder. Trouble is I don't actually buy much off Amazon these days.
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:52 am Reply with quote
I really hate the lack of being able to manually set the video quality. Sometimes it looks like a mass of pixels and I have to reload, even though I’m on gigabit internet and could theoretically stream an actual Blu-ray in real-time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
@ gsilver: when you say lack of being able to manually set the video quality, I assume you want more options than just the three settings AP currently offers: good, better and best, correct?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
W.... T.... F
Episode 5 of Just Because is currently playing with the subtitles from Episode 4 .
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Just to let you know, SM, but I had the proper subs. Gosh, isn't dealing with Amazon streaming FUN??? Rolling Eyes
Lupica

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I've had no problems - but I'm in the UK, which means that I probably not watch things at the same time of day as a viewer in NA. Furthermore, we don't get any of the Sentai titles that are put through Anime Strike. They're streamed on a different site entirely.

There does seem to be some vagueness in the timing for things going online each week. They don't really promise a time so I'm just glad it arrives at all. UK streaming services tend to be so bad that this level of service is still an improvement!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
@ Lupica - I assume HiDive is the site that streams Sentai's Anime Strike titles in the UK. I envy you. I'd love to have that option in Canada.
gsilver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ gsilver: when you say lack of being able to manually set the video quality, I assume you want more options than just the three settings AP currently offers: good, better and best, correct?

Hmmm... That good, better and best thing appears to be new.

It looks pretty crappy for a while, but not as bad as it used to.

It'll often clear up after a while, but at least the beginning of every episode looks pretty awful.
The above is a huge improvement of what I've seen recently... and still has lots of compression artifacts.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:21 am Reply with quote
But to diverge the conversation a bit.

The mercifully short-lived english Nico Nico site's player... still much worse.
Defaulted with the inane chatter on and took quite some time to figure out how to turn off. No control of quality- constant breakdowns and IIRC it would never remember where you left off in a show if it did breakdown and while there were always subtitles I think they had a habit of turning off or needing to be turned on every time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6