• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III Gets 5th Anime Series Set in France

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Excellent. It's a good time to be a Lupin fan. I have to give Yamamoto and Koike credit for giving it the booster shot in 2012 and saving it from mediocrity it stagnated in for years. Between this and the continuing Koike features, the franchise is in mostly good hands.

But hopefully it'll only have a Yuji Ono OST so we won't get a bogus English dub airing with lame international version music. It's why I refuse to watch the Toonami airing. It sickens me they would use the Italian TV airing music.

Somer-_- wrote:

I do miss the yearly specials though.

Why? They've been terrible for over a decade. As long as Takeshi Koike puts a new movie out now and then, we don't really need the TV specials anymore.

Revolutionary wrote:
Would love if it were lighthearted and silly like the first three series, but I'm not holding my breath. This looks to be a continuation of the 2015 series in every way.

Part IV was pretty lighthearted, though. I mean, not Part III lighthearted, but lighthearted, outside of the Nix/MI6 stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
I hear this show is a ratings bomb on Toonami right now, I guess people in the west just don't care about Lupin ? getting 0.23 on the 18-49 demos.

.23 in terms of ratings share or household ratings? Because that makes a huge difference.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Sweet more Lupin hopefuly they will have more Goemon this time
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Sweet more Lupin hopefuly they will have more Goemon this time

Goemon can be a difficult character to work with, since he's so overpowered, making him struggle is annoying when you know he can do more, and making him use his full range of abilities is no fun because it makes everyone else look bad. So you have to strike a careful balance. Like the recent Goemon movie by Takeshi Koike!

Anyway, Goemon got a focus episode in Part IV just like Jigen (and better than Jigen's). I don't see why he wouldn't get at least one other in "Part V".

But I think that we don't need every member of the team in every episode, and we occasionally don't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Would love if it were lighthearted and silly like the first three series,

Part 1 was.....not that lighthearted and part 2 could get dark at times itself (mood whiplash be damned).

residentgrigo wrote:
Great news and all but the new season should be a bit shorter than the order IV got. A snappier 3rd act would be nice too and no new waify, ok? The last one had way too much screentime.

You must've ignored most of the promotional material.....along with forgetting a lot of episodes, movies, & specials where's there's almost always a particular female who features into the plot.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
They should actually do Part 6 sooner cause Jigen's VA is not getting younger! But man, hype for this Part 5. So excited to see the gang back!
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed part IV so more Lupin is okay with me especially if it is handled with the same care as part IV. Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
penguin:
Quote:
But hopefully it'll only have a Yuji Ono OST so we won't get a bogus English dub airing with lame international version music. It's why I refuse to watch the Toonami airing. It sickens me they would use the Italian TV airing music.

They did it, because it needed to stand out from the likes of at least the new 24, Archer, Prison Break, Kingsman, and AS's own Mike Tyson Mysteries.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Seeing the Mont Saint-Michel in the miniature pic remind me that I need to do my French tour on Famous Historical French site, such as Carcassonne, le pont du Gard or the famous Cathedral Notre-Dame de Strasbourg.

As a French it's easily done.

As for the the project in itself they got my attention and oh us French are sorry for changing Lupin's name as Edgar it was a dumb move from our part, pity our traduction staff don't commit sepuku Twisted Evil
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quote
AkaRed: Well, back then, it was either change the name, or pay the LeBlanc Estate. Wink
dark13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
dark13 wrote:
I hear this show is a ratings bomb on Toonami right now, I guess people in the west just don't care about Lupin ? getting 0.23 on the 18-49 demos.

.23 in terms of ratings share or household ratings? Because that makes a huge difference.
Household and it think it was 0.26 http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-6-24-2017.html
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
AkaRed wrote:
Seeing the Mont Saint-Michel in the miniature pic remind me that I need to do my French tour on Famous Historical French site, such as Carcassonne, le pont du Gard or the famous Cathedral Notre-Dame de Strasbourg.

As a French it's easily done.

As for the the project in itself they got my attention and oh us French are sorry for changing Lupin's name as Edgar it was a dumb move from our part, pity our traduction staff don't commit sepuku Twisted Evil

I don't blame you. I blame French copyright law and Maurice Leblanc's estate.

MAKE LUPIN GREAT AGAIN!
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Last series was ordered by an Italian network and aired on TV there first (along with an alternate intro song) so wonder if this time they've done a deal with a French network.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
dark13 wrote:
it may have something to do with it's time slot of 2 am.

That certainly doesn't help. I get that Toonami likes to pick up shows that are related to prior adult swim or Toonami series, but I'm still a little surprised since adult swim only picked up some episodes of Part II, and then ran those same episodes over and over, rather than license more Lupin, so I'm not sure that Lupin was ever that big of a hit for the network.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:37 am Reply with quote
It's crazy to think it took this long given the character was directly inspired by a series of French novels.

Super excited for this! Just recently got into Lupin and it's a fantastic series with a great cast of characters (Jigen's my personal favorite). I can't wait to see more and it's awesome that the franchise is kicking again after such a long gap without any new mainline entries.

Though I do find it interesting that he's still wearing the blue jacket from part four. Up until this point every iteration has featured a new color. My personal pick would've been purple.

Also, who's the guy that said Part 1 was lighthearted? Lol. Even Part 2 could get pretty intense with some episodes. And also, did I hear someone disrespecting Rebecca in this thread? I don't take too kindly to that. And it sucks if the show really isn't performing well on Toonami, but I suppose what can you expect when you relegate it to 2am on a Saturday? I always heard that part 2 did quite well on Adult Swim back in the day, but who knows. Personally I'm just waiting for it to finish airing so I can finally watch the dub.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3