• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Isn't More Anime Shown On American TV?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
With most channels having a preference to air their own original content, anime shows on daytime TV just aren't a reality anymore (kids' anime shows being the exception). Plus, thanks to streaming on the Internet, most people no longer need TV airings to watch anime anymore.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
[...] Syfy's Starz anime blocks (which coincided with a downturn in CN's broadcast of anime) seemed to do okay until that network had grown to be able to do an entire slate of their own series.

Is that why that happened? I always wondered about that.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I feel like in the nadir of [adult swim] action, about the 5-7 years prior to the Toonami reboot(possibly longer than that), There had been a slew of shows, dubbed, that could have aired on TV but didn't.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:52 pm Reply with quote
It's a little sad that daytime Cartoon Network shows zero anime, not even Pokemon anymore. What little action cartoons they do show are put in death slots, too.

Last edited by ninjamitsuki on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Primus wrote:
[...] Syfy's Starz anime blocks (which coincided with a downturn in CN's broadcast of anime) seemed to do okay until that network had grown to be able to do an entire slate of their own series.

Is that why that happened? I always wondered about that.

I don't know anything for certain. I imagine a number reasons led to that block's death. Syfy wanting to shift more focus to original material is probably one of them (you can see a big expansion in what they were doing the same year Ani-Weekday died). Starz being unable to find worthwhile content to keep it afloat was likely a big one. That Manga Entertainment library isn't particularly deep and while they were willing to work with the other companies, they didn't grab enough headliners. I'm a fan of Rave Master, but if that dub flopped on Cartoon Network, it wasn't going to find a big audience at night on Syfy.

It is telling, though, that the 2015 block only aired on Chiller. It and Syfy are sister channels and Chiller used to run Ani-Weekday encores. That kind of tells me Universal felt Syfy had grown larger than that.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

I don't think you can really dig into catalog either. Most of the stuff that would be on offer to TV stations would be shows already available on DVD/BD and streaming. Kind of hard to convince someone to watch a show weekly when they can watch it all for free on Funimation's site or buy a complete series collection for $30 off of Amazon. Remember when Chiller tried to make an anime block featuring older and lesser known shows? It lasted less than a month.

I did learn about Vampire Wars from Chiller, so not a total loss.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Where would you air it? Toonami/Adult Swim has an established demographic of action shows. Moe isn't really for kids as much as it is for adults who want something slower and more fanservice-y. Nickelodeon and Disney wouldn't exactly air these shows without heavy edits that diminish the value of the shows in question.

To be fair, Disney X-D's version of the 00's Doraemon was pretty darn good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agg3C3fzFwY

Unfortunately, the angry fans, who by now believed that any commercial-broadcast dub of a kids-anime series would be 4Kids' Glitter Force even when it wasn't, and chopped with edit/localizations beyond recognition--and bearing old Disney grudges from who-knows-when--tried to drive the dub off our shores with torches and pitchforks before it even aired....Oh, remember the "Pizza Wars"? Rolling Eyes

Disney did manage to give the second season a dub, but in the end, it just wasn't "x-treme!" enough for X-D's hyper-caffeinated attempt to try and borrow daytime Cartoon Network's demographic thunder.
So it became expendable, and a new game/fighting anime took its place.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Just to make it clear guys, but especially angelmcazares and Primus, I asked that question way back in April 2015, which can be found in the Answerman article "The Changing Tides". I know that question sounds really obvious and silly in the year 2017, but back in 2015, I was just simply clueless about the reason why most English dubs of anime rarely air on American TV. And because there was no clear answer online, I had no choice but to ask the Answerman.

By the way Answerman, I really appreciate your answer and is very informative. But why did you reuse that question and your answer for the article today, even though it can be found in "The Changing Tides"? Were you recently getting a lot of emails from people asking you a very similar question? I'm not trying to blame you or anything, I'm just curious.

CatSword wrote:
I feel like almost every other country has more of a presence of anime on TV than the US. The only examples I can think of with less are Canada and the UK.

What you just said was exactly what I was thinking back in 2015. Even to this day, I think so, but nowadays I better understand why that is. Unlike the US and Canada, almost every other country is very reliant on foreign animated shows since they don't produce their own domestic animated shows most of the time.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Considering the only way that I can watch anime now is either on DVD/Blu-Ray or on Toonami, I'm glad that there's at least some way still some way for me to try and watch "new" anime. Sadly, streaming is not an option for me (very poor internet connection, plus sharing it with roommates that play online MMOs 8-12 hours per day and leave their computers running almost 24/7 when not playing, which they use probably about 70% of the monthly bandwidth allowance... -sighs-) although I hope one day it can be an option.

Still, with TV becoming far less popular among the majority of the population, it's probably on a matter of time before even Saturday night anime blocks like Toonami are a fond memory of the past. Although I hope it still will be something maybe 5-10 years off in the future. There's something about watching anime on TV that - even before my current situation - is enjoyable, and I'd like to hope that maybe by the time my husband and I have kids, there will still be a chance for them to watch some sort of anime made for younger children (like more iterations of Pokemon! Razz ) and enjoy it in the same way I did when I was a child and teen.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Because the people who watch American TV hate it. End of story.

They can't hate something the majority of them have never seen much less heard of before.

Jonny Mendes wrote:

We can watch what we want, when we want, subbed, dubbed and without the stupid TV edits.

You do know that even Japan is prone to making TV edits to their shows right?

Hell they even edit hentai for some asinine reason.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
How many times has this kind of question been asked on Answerman alone?

two words. A LOT!!!!!!

Quote:
They live on laptops and tablets and smartphones, not in front of a television. The internet is a much better place for anime, in that way.

not quite. its actually a double edge sword in my estimation. its right now ok cause the sub versions of those series are fee and legal the companies stream website and on sites like hulu in order to combat the illegal fansubs back in the 2000's which were completely out of control. however for the english dub of that series its another story. for one thing those simulstreams let alone an english dub by itself , you basically need a paying subscription to see it and not everyone of us have the doh to do that which is why most of us would rather watch it on TV channels like adult swim. the other option which is a massive issue at this time is the now rampant illegal streaming of english dub episodes from fansites. and no matter how much times those companies shut them down, another one will easily take its place. its probably why series like hunter x hunter , AoT , DBZ Kai & DB super are doing well on AS viewershipwise cause their eps show on that channel first instead of online where it can be easily pirated.

so while the internet might be a better place for anime at this time, it definitely will not be in the long run alongs as there are ways to watch them via illegal streaming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

you basically need a paying subscription to see it and not everyone of us have the doh to do that

Not for nothing but if one is capable of paying for their utilities and other bills I would assume they can pay for a subscription based service like Crunchyroll. Unless of course things are so tight for them that they're using internet at a separate location because they can't afford it for their houses.

jr240483 wrote:

which is why most of us would rather watch it on TV channels like adult swim. the other option which is a massive issue at this time is the now rampant illegal streaming of english dub episodes from fansites. and no matter how much times those companies shut them down, another one will easily take its place. its probably why series like hunter x hunter , AoT , DBZ Kai & DB super are doing well on AS viewershipwise cause their eps show on that channel first instead of online where it can be easily pirated.

TV viewership especially for anime has never been very high so they're not really putting butts on couches.

jr240483 wrote:

so while the internet might be a better place for anime at this time, it definitely will not be in the long run alongs as there are ways to watch them via illegal streaming.

Yeah replete with bad quality and in some instances watermarks. Illegal streaming doesn't mean in anyway we'll start seeing less legal streams for anime or any other TV media.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:19 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
They can't hate something the majority of them have never seen much less heard of before.

Are you not from around here?
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Jonny Mendes wrote:

We can watch what we want, when we want, subbed, dubbed and without the stupid TV edits.

You do know that even Japan is prone to making TV edits to their shows right?

Hell they even edit hentai for some asinine reason.

They don't edit. They censor some parts of the body. All then the other things remain the same.

American TV edits change scenes, places, foods, characters, cut some episodes, etc
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:55 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
I usually have these conversations with friends and online as well in forums. The anime boom in the 1990's and early 2000's, while it didn't stay for long, it definitely did it's job in getting anime out to the world at least.

Part of why it didn't stay for long was that, according to Jason DeMarco, who ran and still runs Toonami, was that the Cartoon Network executives liked the huge numbers Toonami brought in a little TOO much. The executives took control of the block to themselves bit by bit without really understanding who was actually watching or why. That's why the later years had preschool shows like Hamtaro on there: They didn't realize the Toonami block skewed older than their usual audience or that it was an action block.

Paiprince wrote:
Because the people who watch American TV hate it. End of story.

That's a weird dichotomy to make.

CatSword wrote:
I feel like almost every other country has more of a presence of anime on TV than the US. The only examples I can think of with less are Canada and the UK.

The US , the UK, and Canada are all major producers of animation. The TV channels that show animation are also ones used to being in full control of their content, and they produce so much of the stuff that there's little room for other stuff.

angelmcazares wrote:
Every time I see someone ask and lament that not much anime airs on tv my reaction is: WHO CARES. Watching something on linear tv is very antiquated at this point. I know that a big anime hit on tv benefits the industry, but the current model of legal simulcasts and DVD/BD's down the road seems to be working well.

Problem is that streaming services don't have quite the stumble-upon factor that traditional television has. You can't just come across a show quite as easily, find it interesting, and start watching. If you're watching something streaming, I can bet it's because you've already learned of it yourself, either on your own or word-of-mouth recommendation from someone you trust.

I guarantee Designated Survivor would not have had nearly as many viewers as it currently does (and it deserves them all--it's a great show) if it hadn't premiered right after the Super Bowl, for instance. The stumble-upon factor is huge.

ninjamitsuki wrote:
It's a little sad that daytime Cartoon Network shows zero anime, not even Pokemon anymore. What little action cartoons they do show are put in death slots, too.

Action shows are expensive to make compared to comedy shows. Cartoon Network can make a mint with Teen Titans GO! on a comparatively minuscule budget than they would with any action show they've produced in the last 20 years.

Sonic Boom does have action elements in it though, and it's doing well in the ratings. But it is a sitcom primarily, action secondarily (and some episodes don't have any fighting).

EricJ2 wrote:

Unfortunately, the angry fans, who by now believed that any commercial-broadcast dub of a kids-anime series would be 4Kids' Glitter Force even when it wasn't, and chopped with edit/localizations beyond recognition--and bearing old Disney grudges from who-knows-when--tried to drive the dub off our shores with torches and pitchforks before it even aired....Oh, remember the "Pizza Wars"? Rolling Eyes

It is definitely quite sad that the hardcore was vocal enough to put an end to something that could've had a lot of casual appeal. I don't know much about Doraemon's ratings numbers, but I quite enjoyed what I saw. I felt like I was 12 again.

There is definitely a kind of fandom rivalry between the hardcore anime fans and anything associated with western animation though. It was infamous in earlier decades, and while it's lower-profile now than it used to be, it hasn't completely diminished like the famous Star Trek-Star Wars rivalry.

Aura Ichadora wrote:
Considering the only way that I can watch anime now is either on DVD/Blu-Ray or on Toonami, I'm glad that there's at least some way still some way for me to try and watch "new" anime. Sadly, streaming is not an option for me (very poor internet connection, plus sharing it with roommates that play online MMOs 8-12 hours per day and leave their computers running almost 24/7 when not playing, which they use probably about 70% of the monthly bandwidth allowance... -sighs-) although I hope one day it can be an option.

Still, with TV becoming far less popular among the majority of the population, it's probably on a matter of time before even Saturday night anime blocks like Toonami are a fond memory of the past. Although I hope it still will be something maybe 5-10 years off in the future. There's something about watching anime on TV that - even before my current situation - is enjoyable, and I'd like to hope that maybe by the time my husband and I have kids, there will still be a chance for them to watch some sort of anime made for younger children (like more iterations of Pokemon! Razz ) and enjoy it in the same way I did when I was a child and teen.

I'm in the same situation. My aunt lives with us and she streams 24/7 on three or four devices at once. She is not some sort of Ozymandias-type genius who can pay attention to multiple shows going on at once. Rather, she does it because she can't pay attention to any one show and she leaves them all on so when she bores of a program she can shift her eyes to something else. And when I mean 24/7, I literally mean that. She'll take them to the shower, she'll leave them on when going outside (in her always-locked room so I can't just pause it), and she'll fall asleep with them on, then wake up later and just keep watching like nothing ever happened.

The end result is that our Internet sucks hard. Also, we have Frontier Communications as our Internet service provider, which is full of disconnections and has a relatively low speed to begin with (which makes online gaming unplayable oftentimes too), and it's the only ISP that serves our neighborhood besides a small startup whose speed is literally 50 times worse (as in less than 1 Mbps down and less than 0.1 Mbps up).

Joe Mello wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Are you not from around here?

If you're talking about the United States, anime, for most people, is this distant, almost mythical thing that a bunch of kids and a few creepy manchildren are really into. The only series your random Average Joe will recognize by name are Dragon Ball Z, Pokémon, Digimon, Sailor Moon, Naruto, and maybe Ghost in the Shell, One-Punch Man, and Attack on Titan even if they cannot recognize any of the characters and all anime looks the same to them.

Ever seen the Adult Swim series Perfect Hair Forever? That's how many Americans perceive anime to be like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7