• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Amazon's Anime Strike Offers Downloadable Episodes, Free Monthly Manga Volumes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:52 am Reply with quote
"Hey, Anime Strike, could you please reconsider the double paywall?"

"What's that?! Downloadable episodes?"

"No...no, Anime Strike, no one said anything about-"

"DOWNLOADABLE EPISODES!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quote
I might consider it if Anime Strike was rolled into Prime proper of if I got the option to pay fore only Anime Strike. Double paywall is sadistic.
scrwbll19

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quote
"Mr. Amazon, tear down this pay wall!"

Really though, I would hop on Amazon in a heartbeat if they did not charge over twice for what I pay for Crunchyroll. For that matter, with VRV being a thing, I can get a DUMPLOAD of content more for only $10 USD per month, which includes both Crunchyroll and Funimation. Likewise, Amazon's catalog is so small that the cost-to-number-of-shows ratio is insane. Granted, I love seeing them have Nanoha and all (where the heck is ViVid?), but they need to step up to the plate a LOT more before they can charge the prices of what they want. Sure, if you are a Prime member already, this might be fine, but I couldn't care less about the rest of that content, which is Amazon's fatal assumption: we couldn't care less about the rest of their Prime junk.
darkdeath174

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:56 am Reply with quote
GeorgH wrote:
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
princess passa passa wrote:
* Double Paywall
* US only

It's not USA only, or to be precise, international Amazon video users get access to the anime without the requirement to add the extra strike fee.

Source?
International Amazon video users only get access to selected series - in UK currently 3 spring-season simulcasts, and delays are common. Most older Anime Strike series are also unavaiable there.
So you get less than a half of the content, but still have to pay over 100$ a year.

I guess it's similar in CA or AU, but I can't prove it as they protected even the content-listings with a paywall & IP-wall there.

Amazon actually only has 3 shows this season, everything else comes from a NA based partnership.

It seems Sentai might be trying to get shows on PrimeVideo.com for Canadians, as 3 shows are on there, Sagrada Reset, Armed Girl's Machiavellism and Kabukibu!, but only the first episodes have been uploaded. Sentai hasn't made an official announcement this, and I can't get them or Amazon will tell what is going on with it. So that's why I say "might be", as there is zero info on it.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:02 am Reply with quote
This is really awesome for the ten people who can take advantage of it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
"Hey, Anime Strike, could you please reconsider the double paywall?"

"What's that?! Downloadable episodes?"

"No...no, Anime Strike, no one said anything about-"

"DOWNLOADABLE EPISODES!"

Don't forget one volume of a manga, which you don't get to pick for yourself.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote
Boy howdy, Amazon sure does seem intent on dodging the issue about that double paywall, don't they? Confused
Zilan

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Please take a hint and go away please amazon strike.
xchampion

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Amazon has the time and money to wait out this process until they have the amount of content where people will pay for the service regardless of the double pay wall. They have the money to crush Crunchyroll and Funimation's streaming platforms if they wanted to. They don't care about the double pay wall because everything they make in addition to Prime is Icing on the cake. Downloading episodes to watch offline has been a staple of prime video for years, but it was just finally added to anime strike. I assume they would like people who don't have prime to buy it for anime strike, but I'm sure they are fine with it has an extra feature for people who already have prime who like anime. I fall into that group and many others do as well. It is what it is and luckily the negative aspects of the service doesn't affect me.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
They have the money to crush Crunchyroll and Funimation's streaming platforms if they wanted to.

What makes you believe atm they do not want to crush the competition? The have seen crunchy's numbers and they want that pie, not just a slice. At least Netflix is in the "If anything is popular, get me more of that" and anime happens to be popular, but Amazon went into a buying splurge that happens to be so costly (for them) that they launched Anime Strike as a plan to pay for the extra cost, but they would not invest so much money just to be another player like the Anime Network or Daisuki.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
^And yet they only got about a third of the new shows, so if this venture was as costly as you say (considering the costs of licensing, it may well have been), why would they spend even more to acquire everything, provided the licensors would even want to have only one buyer in the US market, which they certainly don't. They have the money, but they have other more productive and profitable things going on, so they won't just throw everything they have at licensing anime. If anything, they got as many shows as they did this season by working with Sentai, who have connections that Amazon doesn't (Amazon only got three shows itself). Money is certainly important but that only goes so far. Connections are just as important in the licensing market, and CR's greater number of simulcasts despite being a smaller company shows that.

I don't see myself using this feature but if it sweetens the pot for some people, all the better.
Zilan

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I can only assume anime strike is not doing well considering the huge amount of negativity among fans. Which has to get you wondering what will they do? Remove the double paywall? Not pick up as many shows? Dissolve completely? I hear people say "oh amazon has the money to wait this out! They dont care!" I think thats a stupid assumption to make. They took a chance, and got a ton of shows this season. From a business standpoint it would be dumb to continue investing in something thats not making you profit. It'll be interesting seeing how this pans out. Im all for them stepping out completely. But if the price is right and the anime i want is there i have no problem dropping CR or even paying for both.
UltScorpion

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Here's a thought Amazon,

If you're gonna stick with this stupid Anime Strike service, How about have it not require a Prime subscription or at least if it does, how about it not require a Prime subscription if you already have Prime privileges from a relative?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Only reason I wanted this subscription was for Scums Wish.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
In au/nz there's 31 anime in total. 3 are simulcast shows. Cost is 2.99 usd a month so I'm not sure where you got the $100+ a year from. The only real awesome thing is that American Gods is now on amazon plus all of the old Nanoha. I was cosidering dropping it but it is pretty cheep ... and American Gods!!!!

Scruffy, In the US you have to have Amazon Prime ($99) before you can get to the Anime titles, then it's an extra $4.99 per month. Total cost for a year is approx. $160.00. If you are getting it for $2.99 US then you have a steal going.

Mark Gosdin

Why is everyone acting as if what amazon is doing is the equvalent of if funimation made it that you had to buy their service in order to buy cruchyrol's service. Which it's simply not the case. Everyone acting as if Prime is a through away service with not merit of it's own, that they have to buy in order to get Strike. Which is absurd.

The amount of perks you get from Prime is well worth the price and chances are you already own it for those perks. Now, they offer you an exclusive service for a small price that streams your niche hobby and you act as if it should be included in the already highly inclusive prime membership. Hell, my friend owns Prime primarily to watch Grand Tour, and you are bitch about paying extra 5 dollars for a possibly huge future catalogue of anime. Petty is what it seems like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4