• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals English Dub Casts for WorldEnd, Sakura Quest Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
^ First, Funimation has added significant new VA talent in the last few years. I think they are unjustly accused of not using much new talent. I personally don't get fatigued of hearing the same, old proven voice actors if they deliver. Even if they are recycled, the cast for Sakura Quest is still all star.

Yeah I think they've been doing a really good job mixing their VAs and also adding new talented VAs.

Hypeathon wrote:
One moment you hear fans express fatigue over using more veteran voice actors again, then the next you hear fans express concern when they actually do cast fresh blood.

That's where I was coming from.

Very true.
They can never win (sure sometimes it's different fans but either way they still get flack one way or the other). I think Funi's done a very good job for a while now.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:10 am Reply with quote
On the topic of reusing the same VA, especially by the same director, this is common even in the movies. For example, Johnny Depp has been in a number of Tim Burton films. Also, it is perhaps more often the Japanese reuse the same VA and yet I don't see that complaint as often.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:

When you hear one thing after another about all these right and wrong ways to make an anime dub, even ones that contradict one another, it paints a muddled picture. One moment you hear fans express fatigue over using more veteran voice actors again, then the next you hear fans express concern when they actually do cast fresh blood.
That was a big complaint in the 00s and early 10s, but you rarely hear about it these days. I remember at one point you would always hear about people getting sick of hearing Johnny Yong Bosch in everything. The issue with a lot of Funimations dubs, is because they are chucking so many, a lot of shows are comprised of entirely fresh VAs, so there's no balance. On top of that, because so many are rushed simuldubs, these inexperienced VAs are being more rushed than usual.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
If Funi was only doing 4-5 simuldubs a season and not licensing so many seasonal shows (I mean like licensing 8 per season), then maybe the simuldubs wouldn't seem as rushed to some people.

From the Caitlin Glass Voice Actor FB page (post was made on 5/8 around 7PM AZ time): "Sakura What-fast? SAKURA QUESTFAST!

Sakura What-fast? SAKURA QUESTFAST!
What the heck is Sakura Questfast?

It's a live stream Q&A with the cast as we watch this week's episode of Sakura Quest!

Watch the show Tuesday night,
Send questions for cast to:
[email protected]

Hopefully, I can let you know by Tuesday who will be there for the Questfast the next day.

This week, Questfast is Thursday, but after that it'll be Wednesdays, on the regular!
We've got lots of fun stuff planned! Hope you can join us!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2