• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film Streams 2 More Videos to Introduce Major

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KSweeley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
So, when will the name Major spoiler[Mira Killian] be officially announced?

This book on Amazon, The Art of Ghost in the Shell, states that Scarlett Johansson's character name is Major spoiler[Mira Killian]: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1683830008/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote:

Discover the incredible art behind Ghost in the Shell, the much-anticipated sci-fi thriller starring Scarlett Johansson.

Discover the incredible artwork behind the creation of Ghost in the Shell, the much-anticipated live-action film that brings to life the adventures of cybernetic detective Major spoiler[Mira Killian] and her crack cyberterrorism squad, Section 9. Directed by Rupert Sanders and starring Scarlett Johansson as the Major, the film required the creation of a unique futuristic world where the vast majority of the population has had their bodies augmented with cybernetic enhancements. Working with the award-winning Weta Workshop, Sanders and his team designed every aspect of this startling new world, from cityscapes filled with holograms the size of skyscrapers to robotic geishas, futuristic weaponry, and bionic limbs. This deluxe book reveals the full creative journey behind Ghost in the Shell through interviews with the cast and crew and a wealth of incredible never-before-seen art that showcases the amazing vision that brought the film to the screen.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
That's silly. Plenty of people became aware of, and went out and bought, the 300, Sin City, and V for Vendetta books after those films came out, and that's just graphic novels. Think about The Fault in Our Stars.

0nsen wrote:
Only in very rare cases have I ever turned to the already animated parts of a manga after watching it's respective anime. Or read the book after watching a movie version of it.

That might be your own personal preference, though. Just glancing at a single one of my bookshelves, here's some manga I picked up after watching their respective anime:

Anne Happy
D-Frag
Watamote
Galko-chan
Kiniro Mosaic
Akuma no Riddle
My Monster Secret
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Non Non Biyori
Strawberry Panic
gwdone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty cool folks.... Check out how detailed the Weta Workshop is doing for GITS. The Geisha is one of my favorite aspects they are adapting from Innocence. If this amount of detail is going to be throughout the movie, then it should be more than a treat to watch.

Adam Savage at Weta Workshop discussing the making of the Geisha-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jry_oPfPhdY

The details of the Major's suit at Weta Workshop-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UFpAgr5W8Q
0nsen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:41 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Just glancing at a single one of my bookshelves, here's some manga I picked up after watching their respective anime:

Anne Happy, D-Frag, Watamote, Galko-chan, Kiniro Mosaic, Akuma no Riddle, My Monster Secret, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Non Non Biyori, Strawberry Panic

My list is longer, but the point stands, because there are at least 3.000 anime for which I didn't pick up the manga. Or Visual Novel. Or Light Novel. Or game. Or whatever. And when I do pick up the source, I usually skip the already animated parts, because my only interest is the continuation of the story.

Besides, I would consider myself an enthusiast. Don't look at enthusiasts for this, look at your parents or grandparents.
Woomy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:28 am Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
Mhora wrote:
Even if the movie is terrible, this will only make non-anime fans more aware of anime in general and its scource material.

This is untrue. In the perception of unrelated people, live-action adaptations override the original. Like how anime adaptations override the part of the manga version that got animated, for example. Only in very rare cases have I ever turned to the already animated parts of a manga after watching it's respective anime. Or read the book after watching a movie version of it. It's the same with reboots. What came before will eventually fade out of existence in the public eye. Or how many people do you think will go out and watch the original King Kong (1933) after seeing the new release Skull Island (2017) in theatres? (Enthusiasts are different, obviously.)

So what live-action adaptions of anime actually do is to chip away at anime in general. It's not as dramatic as it sounds, won't diminish the original and will bring attention to the franchise, but don't confuse what adaptions do to the original in the public eye.

As they say, there is no Tsukihime anime.

This is just silly.

There are plenty of examples I've seen of people diving into source material thanks to film adaptions. Look at the Marvel movies, and how those have turned some people on to comics. And when it comes to remakes/reboots, people generally condemn those things for existing (an attitude pretty hackneyed at this point if you ask me) because the original is usually always in the public conscious.

As for GITS, you're honestly overestimating the appeal this series ever had. This is a franchise that is not known really at all beyond the anime watching community. I don't see this adaption somehow obscuring the still popular original for those people.

As for the rest, either this film will interest them in the original, or they just won't bother. And it won't hurt anything. Plenty of anime fans will still watch GITS, non-anime fans won't. The world keeps on spinning.

Just chill.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
Woomy wrote:
There are plenty of examples I've seen of people diving into source material thanks to film adaptions. Look at the Marvel movies, and how those have turned some people on to comics.

Marvel saw little to no boost from movies when it came to comic sales, so I question that assertion. Superhero movies have all but taken over the mainstream representarion of the characters, as have most other comic and book adaptions like Walking Dead and A Song of Ice and Fire. The fact people call A Song of Ice and Fire Game of Thrones is evidence enough of that. Or how the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter movies will always be the default depictions of the characters over the original books. 'Some people' checking out the source material is always overridden by the public at large.

Anime is unique in it generally tried to be a straight adaption of the source material, rarely dumbed down or marketed towards a mainstream audience.

-Stuart Smith
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm still excited for this film.
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:36 am Reply with quote
YamiWheeler wrote:
fathergoat wrote:
IMO the visuals look great but I expect hollywood to completely FUBAR the story. I already hate that they're calling her "Major" not "The Major" or "Major Kusanagi" but "Major" like that is her actual first name and not a title. It's like nails on a chalkboard. But the real fear is that they'll add some romance B.S. and/or a bunch of political preaching.

What a stupid complaint.
Also the anime movies and shows are all incredibly political. If you don't like that, this franchise isn't for you.

It's stupid to find it annoying that a character with a name isn't being referred to by their name?

I expected this anyway because she has a Japanese name and they cast a non-Japanese actress.
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
Mhora wrote:
Even if the movie is terrible, this will only make non-anime fans more aware of anime in general and its scource material.

This is untrue. In the perception of unrelated people, live-action adaptations override the original. Like how anime adaptations override the part of the manga version that got animated, for example. Only in very rare cases have I ever turned to the already animated parts of a manga after watching it's respective anime. Or read the book after watching a movie version of it. It's the same with reboots. What came before will eventually fade out of existence in the public eye. Or how many people do you think will go out and watch the original King Kong (1933) after seeing the new release Skull Island (2017) in theatres? (Enthusiasts are different, obviously.)

So what live-action adaptions of anime actually do is to chip away at anime in general. It's not as dramatic as it sounds, won't diminish the original and will bring attention to the franchise, but don't confuse what adaptions do to the original in the public eye.

As they say, there is no Tsukihime anime.

If the source material is too dated I think most wouldn't bother including myself but in the case of GitS the anime isn't too old and there's also Arise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2