• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Fullmetal Alchemist Film's Teaser Shows Ryōsuke Yamada as Ed & CG Al

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dune

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I am cautiously optimistic, looks pretty good in some respects (though of course I am waiting to see more). Let's not forget that Warner Bros. just did a fantastic job with the Rurouni Kenshin trilogy, that studio has earned the benefit of the doubt in my opinion.

jppcouto wrote:
My first thought: “You’re a wizard, Edward.”

"At last we found it. The Philosopher's... Stone?!"
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
So far, it looks pretty dang cool to me!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Give the live-action industry a slack. Japan movies doesn't have the budget of Hollywood, hence the SFX, designs, wigs etc. Of course, I am not really a big fan of live-action either, nevertheless, I know myself. Despite me saying "This is gonna be meh", I will still watch it when it's available on BD.

Are you kidding me? That's like a $10 wig off ebay. There's a difference between big budget and just being totally lazy.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the Wig. It looks really good. The CG even looks good for what is probably a lower budget film.

I'm sorry folks, Practical effects just can't do certain things. I'd rather filmmakers not be creatively limited over memberberry influenced hubris.
PercivaI

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this doesn't turn into a disaster like AoT
wolf4537

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
This is something I'm definitely going to watch. Not really sure how well this will turn out, but I'm hoping it will be good.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
PercivaI wrote:
Hopefully this doesn't turn into a disaster like AoT

As long as they don't replace Mustang with an OC who starts plowing Winry, said OC is later revealed to be Edward's long lost brother, reveal that the Homunculi were a failed government experiment, it was actually a post-apocalyptic future, and they have this reveal in a mindf*ck room where a jukebox is for some reason playing, I think we're good.

Honestly, the CGI is not a big complaint from me. After "Death Note," I've come to expect that. Alphonse looks pretty good.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
The director of Ping Pong, one of the best live action manga adaptions, does give me hope...but I'm not sure anything else Sori Fumihiko's done has really worked out.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
#838774 wrote:

Are you kidding me? That's like a $10 wig off ebay. There's a difference between big budget and just being totally lazy.

If you let a $10 wig ruin your image of a movie, then something must be wrong with you.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
The hair is a bit dodgy, granted, but that jacket is perfect. The effects are fine. Not spectacular, not terrible. It's really impossible to tell with so little footage. Based on the locations shown, at least they understand the basic aesthetics of the setting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:02 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
#838774 wrote:

If you let a $10 wig ruin your image of a movie, then something must be wrong with you.

Some thing must be wrong with me to expect a professional costume/wig from a (supposedly high budget) modern movie. The cheap wig thing throws me off and
it looks unnatural and stupid, yeah something must be wrong with me. Can they
actually try making the main damn character to look somewhat decent, and putting
more effort into the costume might help, Oh wait, its too late.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:00 am Reply with quote
as I've been saying when it comes to movies save your bitchin till after you see it
Feilkar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:38 am Reply with quote
omegaproxy wrote:
Saku-dono wrote:
#838774 wrote:

Some thing must be wrong with me to expect a professional costume/wig from a (supposedly high budget) modern movie. The cheap wig thing throws me off and
it looks unnatural and stupid, yeah something must be wrong with me. Can they
actually try making the main damn character to look somewhat decent, and putting
more effort into the costume might help, Oh wait, its too late.

It's not a wig. The actor dyed his hair and grew it out, the only fake part is the extension/braid. I agree, it still looks a little off - but before you go accusing them of not putting any effort in, at least know what you're talking about.
anddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:06 am Reply with quote
omegaproxy wrote:
LOL this is hilarious. Is this a fan made FMA movie or something ? Why is that guy pretending to be Caucasian ?

Looks like he's pretending to be Edward Elric to me. How can you "pretend to be Caucasian"?
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The film will open in Japan in winter 2017.

Winter mean January/February 2017 or December 2017?
Since trailer out already, I assuming early 2017 which is technically also Winter 2017.

Animeking1108 wrote:

No Scar. Maybe I just simply missed his name in the cast list, but in my vision for a FMA movie franchise, the first movie would end with Ed and Al's first encounter with Scar

"The film tells the story in one complete film."
No sequel planned there. No idea how you assume this will be 1st movie?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4