• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gantz Creator Urges Fans to Buy Manga New, Not Used

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tensai GinAce

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Merxamers wrote:
I almost always buy new nowadays, since i'm in a situation where i can afford the occasional manga volume. To be honest, i've spent quite a bit of time purchasing series that i had already previously read thru scanlations during my much poorer, college days (Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, Hellsing, Magi, etc.). Digital manga is a blessing; over the last 5 years i've collected every digital volume of One Piece, Claymore, and many others that would swamp me if i'd tried to get them all in print.

Яeverse wrote:
With the low cost of manga how cheap are people to buy it used?

Manga really isn't that cheap; single volumes range from 9 to 12 dollars, while most omnibi are at least $20. Most used manga i've found have been $4-5 each, and for some out-of-print series used manga is the only option. Most digital manga i've found are about $7 or less, so that's definitely the way to go if the money's tight

In what world is 9 to 12 dollars not considered cheap? Most people earn that much in like only half an hour to even as little as 10 minutes at work. One days wage of eight hours is enough for people to buy over 10 volumes of manga.

I bought the 18 volumes of Hokuto no Ken ultimate edition when I was in Nara for 3100 yen used... if I wanted to buy them new I would have to spend around 14500 to 15000 yen. so yeah, for a college student like me it does make a great difference... now, ofcourse I buy new manga too (like Plunderer, Gintama, Vagabond, Bleach, Kounodori, Meitantei Conan, Piano no Mori, and many more..) but for someone who loves to read a lot of manga , I can't buy everything I want to read new... of-course I'm gonna read some at manga cafe's or buy them use.... (I understand that the difference in price between used and new in the US might be completely different)..... but yeah no matter what income you have, it won't hurt you to buy new every now and then, specially if you are passionate about the medium.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
...or they could go to a library. But wait, by this logic, the library is a den for pirates, isn't it? Also, they'd so impose DRM on physical media if they could. No more lending, no more sharing, no more anything. Those are lost sales after all, aren't they?

Sorry, call me cynical, but while I'm all for creators making the money they're "entitled" to, buying used is perfectly legal, so even the anti-pirates shouldn't have an issue with that either.

Yeah.. this is pretty much where I was coming from, but on principal now maybe I'll just stop going to thrift stores altogether to be honest :/

Яeverse wrote:
How would buying used be useful for the industry, it seems unlikely that buying a used manga from someone trying to clear out space in their house is going to help the industry.

I guess I was just basing this off of the fact that publishers and writers never really seemed to have a problem with used books (and that products are protected under ownership laws for good reason and purpose) but it looks like I'm wrong in this case.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Oku using the imagine breaker on kids.

Anyway, Oku is right. Just buy them new more times than not folks.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I'd buy Gantz if it wasn't out of print.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or is everyone here who is telling others to buy new because "it's cheap", someone who works?

You people seem to be forgetting the main target of these series... it's people from 10y to 25y.
I'm in uni and i work on my free time but i sure as hell won't be spending my hard earned money on 10 euro books when i can get it at 1 euro (max) on ebay.

Supporting the industry is very important, but f*ck it if you're spending more than you should just for it...
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I try to buy Japanese manga new, but when they're out of print you have no choice but to buy it used (especially if it's a really old manga). So it's not really our fault, it's more the publisher's fault for not printing any more (or enough) copies.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
for books--> buy USED

unlike used cars and other things.. the condition of the books are easy to check so buying used would be a better choice.

In the age of online retailers growing in prevalence and having more selection than brick and mortar stores, your description of the ease of buying used is not applicable.

interesting.... so if buying USED i have to go to a brick and mortar store ?

you can't buy used books on ebay, amazon, etc..?

sellers hate having to deal with "items not as described" claims.. for books you don't have to worry about the condition as much as other things

so yes.. buy USED books

if a person doesn't even have the money to buy USED books, check a local library since they might have the books they want available for borrow (membership is free).

You can also request certain books for them to buy. This is probably the reason why they have the whole manga (up to the latest volume) series of bleach, naruto and one piece here..

Last edited by AnimeAddict2014 on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Like others here I'd only buy used if the volumes I needed were out of print.

EvilOmar78 wrote:
Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:
I'd buy Gantz if it wasn't out of print.

Which volumes are out of print?

Volumes 3, 6, 7, 10, 16, 18, 20, 21, 25, 26 and 30. There could be a few more though. Really frustrating as well, I decided to start collecting the series before reading only to find out there were some out of print and it's driving me crazy now.
grouwl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I buy my manga new from the stores, Berserk, Gantz, Blade of the immortal, Terra Formars...Gotta support my team in town even if I don't go to sports.

If you don't pay the salaries of the people that bring you "your hobby" then who will? you'd love to work for free, aren't you? let pay the authors with downloadable files of rent, food and livelihood!!!

Now if Japan where to be kind enough to have a limited release of manga in english, another would be the story, but they don't, so we won't...scanlation wins!!

the unwillingness to pay for the work comic artists produce. Accustomed to getting our manga for free, we are no longer willing to pay for it. Sooner or later we are either going to have to pay for professional manga translation. Or we are all going to pay for it.

But not india...India doesn't matter...never had.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I bought so much manga from used books stores when I was a college student in Japan it isn't even funny. I love those shops. You can find all kinds of out-of-print manga there.

Also, Japan has changed a lot over the decades. You can buy a new reprint of a vintage manga, but it will be censored to hell due to political correctness. The majority of the time it is changing the dialogue to PC terms, but sometimes they will change the artwork, or even drop certain "problematic" chapters altogether.
tentensan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I have always bought new manga religiously. Even if it costs me a pretty penny. Where I live, which is New York, it's hard to find any second-hand bookstore that sells the manga I want. I tend to stray away from used books because most of them are either ripped to shreds or written up in. The only time I would buy second-hand is if the series I want is out of print. Also, has anyone ever been to a library?? Those books are jacked up beyond repair sometimes. Also, the books I always got from the library to read has had immature writing in them due to children reading the manga and can't handle the skinship or sexy scenes that are in there.

A lot of people have told me that buying manga is a waste of time because you can read them for free online but, I have always found that argument ridiculous. No one is supporting the industry if they just read the free stuff online. I feel like people should consider buying manga once they could afford it. Confused
peno

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
My opinion, though some may hate me for this. The original author was paid when the book was originally sold and that's all that should matter to them. Why it should matter if the original owner will keep the book in their own bookshelves, threw it away when they don't need it anymore, or sell it to someone, who (in most cases) wouldn't buy it anyway. In my opinion, the latter option is the best for authors, because that way, more people may enjoy their work, people who, as I wrote, wouldn't enjoy it otherwise.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Sorry buddy, but as a consumer it's my prerogative to find the best deals on what I buy, just as it's a retailer's prerogative to get me to spend as much as reasonably possible over time. I try to buy whatever's available new, but that's mostly out of concern for condition; if there's a like-new item available for substantially less than a brand-new one, I don't have any qualms whatsoever about going for it. And if by "list price" he means that people should be only spending the full MSRP, then I have a certain bridge in New York I'd like to sell him.

Яeverse wrote:
In what world is 9 to 12 dollars not considered cheap? Most people earn that much in like only half an hour to even as little as 10 minutes at work. One days wage of eight hours is enough for people to buy over 10 volumes of manga.

Um, that price range is WELL above the national minimum wage in the US. There are a huge number of people out there who make less than that per hour.

Last edited by Top Gun on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
CryptFiend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I spend $20 more or less in manga per month, digital manga, that is 3 volumes. Obviously I read more than that per month.

I read the rest online.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

Most of the Central and Eastern Asia (except China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and South Korea, of course), as well as a good part of the former USSR countries, including some regions of Russia. For me 10-12 dollars is above the 1/10-th of my monthly salary, and I'm not consider myself as a poor man.

But we don't have a stable manga market here, so even if the problem was not about the money, the demand could hardly be satisfied.

Last edited by WANNFH on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6