• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Hard Is It To License Western Music For Use In Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brakus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
nagpo wrote:
AbZeroNow wrote:
@WingKing...Roundabout is intact on the Warner DVDs of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Too bad the set has no proper subs with Japanese dub. I hear even the english dub isn't any good.

I wonder if Viz now has the physical release rights to jojo and if so, would they give it a proper release??

As someone else mentioned, VIZ has the rights to Part 3 (Stardust Crusaders). I hope someday I get to hear more of Richard Epcar's take on elder Joseph Joestar's "OH MY GOD" and "OH NO" and so forth. I'd also love for VIZ to re-release Parts 1 and 2 ("The Complete 1st Season") on Blu-ray and proper English subtitles.

The English dub for Parts 1 and 2 weren't bad, really, but it is odd to hear Johnny Yong Bosch pull off an English/British accent for Jonathan Joestar. Patrick Seitz is just his wonderful, hammy self as Dio Brando, though - loved his performance. (He says "... but it was I, Dio!" in the dub of Episode 1, but Patrick is very aware that it's supposed to be "... but it was *me*, Dio!" from the meme.)

Last edited by Brakus on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brakus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:28 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, since the United States is the world's #1 media market, those rights are always the most expensive for us -- even when the project the song is being attached to might only sell a few thousand copies.

Because the record companies are greedy and short-sighted.

Quote:
All of that matters: bigger bands with more cash and a bigger name can drive a much harder bargain (and be pickier in general) when it comes to their licensing deals.

Again, see WKRP. And we're still waiting on The Wonder Years home video release, even though it was announced not too long ago.

WKRP and Wonder Years both have R1 DVD releases with about 90% of the licensed music restored. Shout Factory has WKRP while Time-Life has Wonder Years. Looks like they were able to obtain home video rights for those songs, much like Warner Bros. did with "Roundabout". It does help that Warner Bros. Japan had a hand in the production side of things, at the very least with music clearances.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
There was the single episode of the Maison Ikkoku anime (which Viz released many years ago and I spent stupid money importing from the US) where both the opening and closing titles were by British singer/songwriter Gilbert O'Sullivan - "Alone Again, Naturally" for the OP, and "Get Down", for the ED.
Apparently this was some record company deal which didn't work out. Wikipedia seems to claim this wasn't on the US release, but I've got a DVD which disagrees with them.

The thing with Funimation's release of "Eden of the East" is that the whole dynamic text thing of the opening titles was cut to the beat of "Falling Down", but the replacement song didn't fit, and that really kind of irritated me. I'm no Oasis fan, but the combination of music and title sequence really worked.

The other ones I can think of are the first series of "Mushishi", which used "The Sore Feet Song" by Scottish singer Ally Kerr, who admittedly I've heard nothing else by, but apparently he did get some tours of Japan out of it. Second series of "Mushishi" used "Shiver" by English singer Lucy Rose, and after seeing the first episode I bought her album purely based on listening to that song. Neither of them are household names, so I can see how licensing that would cause less of a problem.

Also, the first series of "Gunslinger Girl" had "The Light Before We Land" by Scottish band The Delgados.

I do have to wonder if the members of Yes wondered why they were suddenly getting more royalty payments from Japan...
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
DLH112 wrote:
I have a similar/related question regarding JoJo and music, but more regarding the names of characters and stands. Also, are subtitles considered absolute/definitive?... what I'm trying to get at is I find it silly that you can clearly hear the characters say "Crazy Diamond" and "Bad Company", (the character even has Bad Co on written on his collar), but the subtitles say "shining diamond" and "worse company". Does this actually do/change anything legal-wise? or is it just kind of a show of good faith? I would understand if it was dubbed over and was completely replaced, but it seems silly.
If its definitely for legal reason, then would the japanese audio need to be removed/altered to change the names?
It sometimes ruins the sense of immersion. Similar to when the JP track uses a character's given name, but the subs use their family name; or when there's a pause in the middle of a sentence so the subs have it in 2 parts, but the sentence structure is different between JP and english so the second parts meaning is subtitled over the first and vice versa.

There was a Tumblr post wandering around and it had to do with the names actually strictly referring to those songs and etc they were based off. Araki the owner of Jojo has permission to use them while down here the legal streamers would rather not risk getting lawsuits.
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
"Thank you!" to the person who answered my JoJo's question.

Dop.L wrote:
Also, the first series of "Gunslinger Girl" had "The Light Before We Land" by Scottish band The Delgados.

And their song "Woke from Dreaming" was also used as in insert song in that series, but those were both cleared to use on the American DVDs.

There was also another series, I forget the name right now, that used a couple of Backstreet Boys songs. I think that's a series that was never released outside Japan, though.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Someone brought up Monster's ending theme a bit earlier; from what I remember the vocal track was missing from the SyFy broadcast too. (Still hate you forever Viz.) The same show had a few in-episode music issues too: the famous "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" was replaced with a vague sound-alike during one scene that made explicit reference to it, and another character's favorite song was meant to be "Be My Baby" by the Ronettes but received the same treatment. I think that instance was even worse, because the character was nicknamed "The Baby" as an explicit reference to that song, so removing it made the whole thing lose its import.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
Here's an odd one. My fansubs of Monster have the ED songs as listed in the ANN encyclopaedia: For The Love of Life by David Sylvian for eps 1-32 and Make It Home by Fujiko Heming for eps 33-74. The official Siren Visual release has the David Sylvian song for the entire series, with the vocal track removed.

Top Gun wrote:
Someone brought up Monster's ending theme a bit earlier; from what I remember the vocal track was missing from the SyFy broadcast too. (Still hate you forever Viz.) The same show had a few in-episode music issues too: the famous "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" was replaced with a vague sound-alike during one scene that made explicit reference to it, and another character's favorite song was meant to be "Be My Baby" by the Ronettes but received the same treatment. I think that instance was even worse, because the character was nicknamed "The Baby" as an explicit reference to that song, so removing it made the whole thing lose its import.

The missing songs in Monster is all on Japan because they actually had two different masters made for the show and the one that was released outside of Japan is the international version which, in addition to the songs being cut, actually had it's music score rearranged, in both English & Japanese versions. This was revealed after Viz's one & only set officially came out because there was a huge stink over the changed score at the old AoD/Mania forums and it later came out that one of the European releases (I believe it was the French DVDs) had the same problems so it wasn't completely Viz's fault like everyone originally thought (though they didn't help at all being silent about it and that set was released around the same time they were getting heat over missing songs from Nana & Hunter x Hunter 99's releases).
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Errin: It's more gratuitous now, but society was a little less reactive to it then. You wouldn't get the backlash to 'Girls on Film' that you got against, say, 'Blurred Lines'.

Brakus: But they couldn't get all the songs, because those record companies aren't thinking about the higher value of their catalog being placed alongside other notable works of pop culture, such as those shows. It's also what's held up this thing here. Like I said. Pure greed.

Last edited by GATSU on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Sylontack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
You are correct. Speed Grapher used Duran Duran's "Girls on Film" for its original OP, and Funi had to replace it because they couldn't get the rights to use that song in the US (I can only imagine how expensive it would've been, especially for a series that I don't think was all that popular).

I actually loved Speed Grapher's use of Girls on Film and was super bummed when I found out it wasn't on the English release. If I recall correctly it wasn't a case of it being expensive but they found out there was a bit of a mess involved with the licence and it wasn't actually attainable at the time (I think they approached the band directly but as a result the band found out the rights had been taken from them or something like that. I'm a little foggy on it).

Re: Ergo Proxy, I own the Australian DVDs but so far I've only watched it when it aired on TV in Australia ages ago, but every episode to memory had Paranoid Android (I specifically remember because I was pretty much a primary school kid at the time and the song bugged me but a couple of years later I became a snotty-yet-basic alternative listener and Radiohead was my gateway band so I was pretty chuffed about it later on)
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
There was also another series, I forget the name right now, that used a couple of Backstreet Boys songs. I think that's a series that was never released outside Japan, though.
That would be The Story of Young Hanada from 2002-03, and indeed it at least hasn't been released in North America at all. Don't know about elsewhere.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Well, there's also One Piece Film Z, which had two Avril Lavigne's songs.
UkiyaSeed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:50 pm Reply with quote
(Reads part about Savage Garden)
Guess that means there's no need for Crunchyroll to rename Savage Garden in Part VI once David animates Part VI then.
Mikurotoro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
OK if anime distributors in the US can't get the rights to certain songs in anime then how is it that the singers/bands,record labels,& songwriters have absolutely NO problems with US animation studios using some of the very same music in there own cartoons? Can someone please explain that? Thanks in advance!
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
I remember hearing "You Raise Me Up" in Japanese for the opening of Romeo x Juliet it was also in English for one episode I guess when the song is sung by someone else the rules are different since all of it was intact for the DVD releases. Confused
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
Does anybody know what is up with Kamisama no Memochou?The first episode uses Mr. Big's "Colorado Bulldog" as its ending theme, but the Sentai release uses the regular ending theme for that episode instead. The series isn't that popular but seeing as how Hellsing doesn't seem to have any trouble using "Shine" I've wondered why it was changed/removed (unless the JP home videos also do this).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4