• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Arrested for Uploading The Seven Deadly Sins Manga to Site

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:42 am Reply with quote
Sanyo wrote:
I guess it's the beginning of the end for scanlations then, huh?

For the Chinese translated ones, it seems, which seems to be mainly used by the big weekly manga anyway. Actually bought volumes/magazines being translated and posted online will probably never stop happening.
Shaddy_Pl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:54 am Reply with quote
SageModeKakarot wrote:

there are free or cheap LEGAL ways to read manga, why people still use Scantlation sites i will never know, is it to get it a few days early well BIG DEAL! what difference does a few days make?????

Well, I am from Poland. I buy Fairy Tail manga in paper version from US Kodansha. I can't read new chapters from Crunchyroll.
I don't know if premium membership will allowe me to read it, but I don't see a point in paying $6.95/month to read 4 chapters every month, and then pay another $11 for printed volume.

If I would like to do this legal, I should:
a) pay double, forst to crunchyroll to read chapter, second to Kodansha for printed version
b) stop buying printed version and read only online from crunchyroll
c) wait till april to read what happend next in volume 54.
d) Stop reading manga.

I support Kodansha, but I will read scans online, because I have no other logical option.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
An ideal solution that I don't understand isn't more widely used to do the simulpub like Crunchyroll and Viz does. One reason might be the blasted rights issue and also determining which manga to simulpub. However, if you get enough translators to translate 10-15 titles, I think that is a good starting point.
UltScorpion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:21 am Reply with quote
I still feel like arresting people isn't a practical way of stopping piracy of any kind from happening. Once again, I feel like Gabe Newell said it best.
“The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting anti-piracy technology to work. It’s by giving those people a service that’s better than what they’re receiving from the pirates.”
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote
First off all, I come from India.

There is no manga here in book stores, none where I live. I would have to travel all the way to the north of my country IF and only IF there is manga available there. My anime situation is pretty much the same. Many of you are only thinking about the US or at least you're only mentioning the US.

To all you people saying scanlation is only hurting manga, you are wrong. It DOES hurt manga sales but also it introduces people to new series.

How many manga from smaller manga magazines from Japan do you see in English, ones which don't have an anime?

I understand your point when it comes to most popular weekly and monthly shounen manga. But what about those smaller shounen titles? And again, a person in India like me has to rely on scanlations for manga like Noragami. (Note: If they put it on Crunchyroll Manga, I would be so happy, I'd support it.)

If I had relied on Shoujo Beat(or other English shoujo publishers in America) alone for shoujo manga, I would never have found out Last Game, Hibi Chouchou, Colette wa Shinu Koto ni Shita, Kuro Hakushaku wa Hoshi or Mederu, Joou no Hana and countless other shoujo. Even Akatsuki no Yona gained popularity only after it got licensed.

Because of scanlation, I buy manga directly from Japan nowadays. Not just manga either. Drama CDs, Anime magazines and the like as well. Are all people like this? NO. But do all people reading scanlation not support the mangaka? NO.

tl;dr You can't just dismiss scanlation, but at the same time, people should stop pirating content that is easily available.

What is the solution to all of this? I have no idea, but I know that stopping scanlation is not the answer.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote
It's all a conspiracy by the evil CPC
KilluaX3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:52 am Reply with quote
traitorAIZEN wrote:
Just my unpopular opinion.

If they keep this up, there won't be anyone who would translate/upload it to manga sites anymore. Then without anyone uploading it, there would be less and less people who would know that these mangas exist. Who would even buy mangas they don't know?

If these manga sharing sites/groups close, it would slowly but surely kill the industry.

No. Japanese people are the ones who buy manga. It wouldn't even hurt the industry.
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:26 am Reply with quote
You realize in both cases the bigger issue is that these scans were being released before any sort of actual official release, right? Most scanlations are behind the official releases, but the really popular series have often been scanlated in advance. Scanlations won't end any time soon, but I won't be sad if people actually have to wait for an official release instead of pirating almost a week in advance
dark13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
Aaronrules380 wrote:
You realize in both cases the bigger issue is that these scans were being released before any sort of actual official release, right? Most scanlations are behind the official releases, but the really popular series have often been scanlated in advance. Scanlations won't end any time soon, but I won't be sad if people actually have to wait for an official release instead of pirating almost a week in advance
that Just means pirates will just have to release scans on official dates that way they don't get arrested.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:36 am Reply with quote
Sanyo wrote:

Not at all. Not even close. The current arrests have nothing to do with scanlations. It's the publishers, and the authorities arresting people for uploading manga, same as they've done for years. It's just this time they happened to stumble across the source for several speed scanlators.

The absolute most this will do is push a few series to be scanlated closer to the official release date, when the source of the leaks is much more difficult to find than figuring out a delivery guy is selling a few copies.
dark13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
Sanyo wrote:

Not at all. Not even close. The current arrests have nothing to do with scanlations. It's the publishers, and the authorities arresting people for uploading manga, same as they've done for years. It's just this time they happened to stumble across the source for several speed scanlators.

The absolute most this will do is push a few series to be scanlated closer to the official release date, when the source of the leaks is much more difficult to find than figuring out a delivery guy is selling a few copies.
Pretty much this, in other words its changes Nothing
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
I went to Google and typed in "manga scan". I clicked the first link that came up. It's an illegal manga scan site.

On the right side of the homepage is a listing of the most popular manga scan series. Now some people keep saying that "the vast majority of scanlations are for old works that would never release overseas". So what "old, obscure series" are showing up in the popular scans list?

Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, One Piece, Attack on Titan, Hunter x Hunter, Toriko, etc.

Yeaaaahhhh those are pretty old and obscure all right, no chance of those ones releasing overseas. Rolling Eyes
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
Sanyo wrote:

Nah_ piracy will never die. It just evolves itself.
dark13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:54 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I went to Google and typed in "manga scan". I clicked the first link that came up. It's an illegal manga scan site.

On the right side of the homepage is a listing of the most popular manga scan series. Now some people keep saying that "the vast majority of scanlations are for old works that would never release overseas". So what "old, obscure series" are showing up in the popular scans list?

Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, One Piece, Attack on Titan, Hunter x Hunter, Toriko, etc.

Yeaaaahhhh those are pretty old and obscure all right, no chance of those ones releasing overseas. Rolling Eyes
Are you sure because this what I found when I did that.......first link a saw and already a series I don't even know Try harder my old Friend Wink

Last edited by dark13 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
Are you sure because this what I found when I did that [...] first link a saw and already a series I don't even know Try harder my old Friend Wink

I'm not sure it's allowed to post links for manga scan sites on the forums, so you might want to remove the link in your post.

I can't account for your different search results list, unless you typed something different or Google is tailoring results for you differently. The first link that appeared for me was a site called "Manga Reader".

And I'm not your friend, buddy (South Park reference). You've been on the site for two months.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5