• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Aims to Eventually Produce Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tylerr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote
They going to adapt mangas or VN?

I'd hope it was mangas, there are hundreds of worthy ones, and VN almost always get butchered.
anddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:34 am Reply with quote
It's not anime if it's not produced in Japan Laughing Laughing Laughing hahahahah
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:40 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I wouldn't assume that at all, because Netflix exclusive anime like Knights of Sidonia and Seven Deadly Sins are available in multiple languages--Japanese and English, of course, but also French and Spanish and some others. If Netflix is serious about international production, I don't see why they wouldn't be involved with a Japanese studio making real anime that would be released in a myriad of languages worldwide on the same day.

That makes sense. I'm probably just under the false mindset that if a show is dubbed over its worse than the original language it was meant to be in.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:32 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
I'd even settle for their Disney connection getting the X-D dubbed Doraemon series. :D

Especially considering the Doraemon dub is completely gone from XD's scheduling block, as I predicted. Disney is so damn allergic to having anime on their network. I'm sure Yo-Kai Watch will be removed in due time as well.
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:36 am Reply with quote
Well, one downside of globalization is that it results in the dilution of culture... Don't want to open an age-old can of worms here, but I don't feel that Anime's anime unless it's produced by Japanese for Japanese. Same thing with that OEL manga thing years back. If they want to make cartoons, fine. Don't have to label it anime just because it has a "big eyes, sweat drop" art style. That's not the point.

Hopefully it'll be more along the lines of being a sponsor in the production team than anything else.
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:06 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Well, one downside of globalization is that it results in the dilution of culture... Don't want to open an age-old can of worms here, but I don't feel that Anime's anime unless it's produced by Japanese for Japanese. Same thing with that OEL manga thing years back. If they want to make cartoons, fine. Don't have to label it anime just because it has a "big eyes, sweat drop" art style. That's not the point.

And yet Osamu Tezuka, arguably the single biggest influence on the classic look and style of anime, was by his own admission heavily influenced in his own art style by the American comics of the 1940s and 50s, especially Disney comics. So if you want anime that's purely Japanese and "undiluted" by American influences, you're already about 55 years too late for that. But there are some pretty interesting Japanese cartoons from the 1930s and early 40s, and a few of them have even made their way to YouTube.

Anyway, these days it seems like, if anything, it's anime that's influencing western animation more often than the other way around.
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:03 am Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
And yet Osamu Tezuka, arguably the single biggest influence on the classic look and style of anime, was by his own admission heavily influenced in his own art style by the American comics of the 1940s and 50s, especially Disney comics. So if you want anime that's purely Japanese and "undiluted" by American influences, you're already about 55 years too late for that.

Yes, I'm aware of that. Unfortunately, those who believe in Nihonjinron would have you think that the Scroll of Frolicking Animals was the original source of manga.

Regardless, that's not the point I'm making. I'm talking about non-Japanese producing cartoons with the anime "artstyle" and calling it anime.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:14 am Reply with quote
WingKing is right, from the very beginning anime has been a sort of byproduct of cross pollination between Japanese and American cultures. The birth of the style itself was heavily influenced by Disney, and the Japanese themselves have no snobbery about that because they still love Disney to the point where Disney films will outsell even Miyazaki at the box office at times.

There are countless anime influenced by a love for western culture. The 80's especially were heavy influenced by 80's action movies like Terminator, Star Wars, Blade Runner and Alien(s). Ofc there's always been shows too where they were adapting the great works of western literature. Even today I'm certain we would not have the influx of shows about magical schools if it weren't for the insane popularity of Harry Potter in Japan. If you want 'purely' Japanese anime then the best you can really do is stuff like Takahata's Tale of the Bamboo Cutter or perhaps some of Satoshi Kon's stuff.

Actar wrote:
Regardless, that's not the point I'm making. I'm talking about non-Japanese producing cartoons with the anime "artstyle" and calling it anime.

There's nothing that says Japanese 'own' that artstyle though; as mentioned it in itself is a fusion of cultural styles. Most 'anime' even created by Japanese is outsourced to Korea same as American animation so the point is kind of moot. I know 'American anime' conjures up some cringeworthy images, but I think what the Netflix guy meant was that they want to be on the production comittee and help fund more anime. ANY fan of anime should be happy about this because it means more anime will get made as right now the US economy is doing better than the Japanese and outside funding is a great help. Also too it could allow for more diverse opinions as to what shows get funded. Ofc there will always be a market for moe & distincly 'anime' shows; those kind of shows have been around for almost 30 years now... they're not going anywhere. Diversity doesn't hurt any culture, whether it's hollywood movies, anime or music.
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:52 am Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
There's nothing that says Japanese 'own' that artstyle though; as mentioned it in itself is a fusion of cultural styles.

No, the issue that I was raising is with regard to the fact that anime should not be defined by any one artstyle and that many American "anime/manga" creators are just using the term whenever "big eyes and sweat drops" are involved.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:07 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
No, the issue that I was raising is with regard to the fact that anime should not be defined by any one artstyle and that many American "anime/manga" creators are just using the term whenever "big eyes and sweat drops" are involved.

I agree; some not familiar with anime can easily pigeon-hole it into one particular style when there are thousands of different styles. The diversity of artstyles and creativity I think was a factor that drew many of us to anime. If an artist says they draw anime style I'd ask what they mean. Like Otomo? Miyazaki? Takahashi? Koike? Ikeda? Toriyama? They all have such different styles!

That said I think Netflix wants to simply fund anime as part of production committee like Crunchyroll. As mentioned on the podcasts it seems these days doing that gives greater control of a show and is cheaper than a license at times so why not? This ensures that anime is still driven by Japanese creators. Netflix has a good track record so far with its original shows, so I'm optimistic.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:22 am Reply with quote
Considering Seven Deadly Sins is currently among the most watched shows on Netflix for the week, as well as the consistent success of anime on the service , yeah, I can see why they would want to get in on the action.
Isinfier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:25 am Reply with quote
It's not just that, either. The popularity of content that Netflix has helped produce has been pretty massive; House of Cards, Daredevil, Beasts and soon Jessica Jones.

I'm not surprised they want to expand into animation. Hopefully they'll considering licensing some existing content (Kanon, please? We never got a UK release) alongside producing original content.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:27 am Reply with quote
Currently all the Netflix licensed anime so far--their streaming premiers in the US (falsely marketed as "original" content)--have all been the broadcast version and have not been exclusive to them when it comes to home video.

So that allowed Sentai to include the better director's cut of Knight's of Sidonia in their release, for example. But what will happen to the home video releases of actual Netflix productions?

My guess is that it depends if they are in direct control over the content vs merely being an investor on the production committee.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:08 am Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
Pretty sure they'll be English voices only. Which probably wouldn't be bad because they're not dubbing over anything this time.

Given their new service in Japan, I wouldn't count on that being the case.

Last edited by TheAncientOne on Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:39 am Reply with quote
If it's an American company and English-language, it's not anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7