• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Perfect Insider

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:38 am Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
chito895 wrote:
I want to see more about Shiki and her relationship with that old dude that was with her in the car. I, however, was kind of confused. That scene in the car was supposed to be in the past, right?

I think that was supposed to be Shiki's little sister and the director of the lab (the one who left in the helicopter to go pick her up).

He refers to her as Shiki, and it's narrated by the same person who did the bookending voice-overs in the first episode (presumably the director) so I'm pretty certain it's meant to be a flashback to Shiki's past as viewed through this character, same as when we saw her at age 5 in the last scene of episode 01
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:16 am Reply with quote
So we've got three insufferable main characters, an entire cast who can't be bothered to WALK let alone run after the slowest-moving cart in the world, the most awkwardly, cheaply-animated boat scene I've seen since Three Headed Shark Attack, and some dude hard perving on a 13-year-old? And it's only episode two!!!!

Yeah, nope. Why is this season being propped up so hard by shorts? Rhetorical question, it's an unknowable mystery. Razz
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
hamayadea wrote:
Nishinosono Moe's ojōsama behaviour this episode came left-field for me. One wouldn't expect a university student, especially a public one such as Nagoya. Never held a knive? Really? That's either stretching the suspense of disbelief thin, or she's playing it dumb. If the former, then a head-shake is in order. If the latter, then it can fit quite well with the rest of her persona exhibited thus far, thus making it more acceptable, IMO.

I'd venture to guess that typical Japanese dinners don't usually require a knife to eat. Obviously she's not going to cook anything, because the servants would be preparing her meals and (I assume) deciding the menu, and she'd go home to eat since she lives close to the college. We don't know exactly what her diet's like, but if the servants stick to meals that can be eaten with chopsticks and never prepare any western-style dinners, then it becomes more understandable.

Actually the word used in Japanese is houchou, which is specifically the big kitchen knives used to cut meat and chop vegetables. That word doesn't describe butter knives or steak knives, which she has almost certainly held.
The richer a Japanese person is, the more likely they are to eat a predominantly western diet. You'll notice rich characters often are unfamiliar with super normal Japanese food...like yakisoba.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
Actually the word used in Japanese is houchou, which is specifically the big kitchen knives used to cut meat and chop vegetables. That word doesn't describe butter knives or steak knives, which she has almost certainly held.

Thanks, that's good to know. One of those subtle distinctions that gets lost when one doesn't speak a language, and it clarifies the scene very neatly.
chito895

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I pretty strong episode. I would've loved to see spoiler[Shiki's corpse, so that way I could get some confirmation that her parts are indeed severed].

So that girl from the flashback was indeed Shiki, and we got more of her at the end of this episode. Looks like she was pretty ahead of her age in some respects. And how old is Souhei? Because the dude lil' Shiki spoiler[kissed with right in the end of the episode really looked like him, but also looked like the director of the lab].
Via_01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:47 pm Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
I pretty strong episode. I would've loved to see spoiler[Shiki's corpse, so that way I could get some confirmation that her parts are indeed severed].

So that girl from the flashback was indeed Shiki, and we got more of her at the end of this episode. Looks like she was pretty ahead of her age in some respects. And how old is Souhei? Because the dude lil' Shiki spoiler[kissed with right in the end of the episode really looked like him, but also looked like the director of the lab].

Saikawa is spoiler[is older than Shiki, who's 29 by the show takes place, but definitely not old enough to look like the man on the flashback 16 years prior. That's definitely the director.]

But yeah, this episode was pretty damn strong. We finally got introduced to the murder mystery and the characters remain pretty endearing; this is truly turning up to be one of the most solid shows in the season.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Crazy theory time, the corpse is actually Magata sister! She arrive early but the director didn't tell anyone, they've been preparing this together for 15 year. By killing her sister she can take her identity (the video of her we saw was just computer generated) and access the family fortune, and maybe take revenge on her family or something.

Nah I have no idea, at this point we don't have any information. No computer system is impossible to break, no matter how advance, and it's not like it's impossible to enter a room another way than trough it's main door, could just dig a hole or break a wall.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I didn't quite grasp why that guy was so adamantly opposed to going inside the room. They had two guards there who seemed quite willing to take the risk, if there was any.

I'm also betting the marimba will figure into this somehow. Smile That's such an odd instrument for him to just have lying about that there must be a reason.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:24 am Reply with quote
Little different than the jdrama. I guess I will keep watching this.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quote
The supervision is the same as Elfen Lied.
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I like the look of the mystery so far. This show is definitely proving more interesting for me than the other "mystery" (and I use that term loosely in that case.) show this season.

At this point my still basic theory is based on the talk about how this seemed to have been planned for a long time. I currently think that maybe the killer was actually inside the room all along and was hidden under that bridal outfit to escape. This seems too simple though plus it leaves me to wonder how it went unnoticed even though I think I remember them saying they had cameras monitoring the inside of the room too. Not to mention what would happen if someone had actually stopped the cart physically. "oops you found me!" Laughing Of course considering how early on this may have been planned some sort of secret passage is also a possibility. I also wouldn't be surprised if some sort of sister swapping was going on considering how the "younger" sister looks older.

Its nice to have a chance to try figuring out this shows mystery since I was sadly unable to participate in the Rokka threads.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:02 am Reply with quote
Has the dialogue gotten any less pretentious or have any likeable characters been introduced? I'm barely watching anything this season but shorts and I'm thinking about picking something back up that I tapped out on earlier, but I can't tell from the reviews since they've been glowing since the beginning, which I thought was shit.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:54 am Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
Has the dialogue gotten any less pretentious or have any likeable characters been introduced? I'm barely watching anything this season but shorts and I'm thinking about picking something back up that I tapped out on earlier, but I can't tell from the reviews since they've been glowing since the beginning, which I thought was shit.

The dialogue generally now has much more to do with the actual mystery than any kind of philosophy the characters have. Once in a while they'll still spout something silly but far less often than before.

As for likable characters, no, not really. Core cast is still Magata and Nishinosono, with some secondary characters related to the mystery that don't do much.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:08 am Reply with quote
I can't believe they haven't examined the corpse and that big box it rode out on that someone could have hid in!

So at this point for all we know the corpse is just a giant wedding cake with rotten meat juices mixed in to give it the appropriate smell. Hey, I've seen those cake competitions. It's amazing what they can do. I predict that personality number 3 is a master pastry chef. You'll see.

I am enjoying the show, but am annoyed at them missing the very obvious elephants in the room. And duh, the director was killed by an automated robotic arm put in place by the sister (or hmmm, could it be daughter?). It could easily trash the radio too. And they *are* masters of creating things like that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Really enjoyed the episode 5 review; this show is surpassing my expectations by establishing that thematic connection between Moe and Magata.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8