• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Evangelion Theme Song Writer Makes Over Hundred Million Yen in Royalties

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Take what you can get. If you're getting all that you might as well invest, although a cave is generally not good for ROI.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
traveling wrote:
I don't understand how she's almost broke.

$1 million, but over 20 years - that's only $50,000 a year. I could spend that. Very Happy

More seriously, a single bad big investment can suck up huge amounts of money. Sad. Crying or Very sad
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Plus Eva is long. It's like thousands of minutes.

Uh, no. If you totaled up all NGE animation so far - the original series, End of Evangelion, Death and Rebirth, and the three recent movies - you still have under 1,200 minutes. So a thousand would be correct, but not thousands.

Gasero wrote:

She has (not)hing to worry about in terms of criticism. After a couple decades nobody knows much about Evangelion despite its continued financial success.

Either you meant something other than what this said, or else you are clueless about NGE, which is one of the most enduringly popular anime franchises ever made.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Whodaheckcares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
WHO THE HELL IS THE BASTARD WHO WASTED *HER* MONEY ON A DAMN CAVE???? I leave the article with more questions than answers...
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:

$1 million, but over 20 years - that's only $50,000 a year.

ANN wrote:
Oikawa revealed that she made over a hundred million yen (currently equivalent to $828,796) annually in royalties from the piece.
Mature-Kun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Stick to getting paid. NGE is nothing spacial. Not missing much TBH.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Gasero wrote:

She has (not)hing to worry about in terms of criticism. After a couple decades nobody knows much about Evangelion despite its continued financial success.

Either you meant something other than what this said, or else you are clueless about NGE, which is one of the most enduringly popular anime franchises ever made.

Many people know about Casablanca, how many have watch the film though ? Same thing with Evangelion. It's a cultural icon at least in Japan. That doesn't mean every Tom, Harry, Joe, their cousins and kids have watched the series. Don't mix up the two things.

Last edited by Cptn_Taylor on Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Birriaman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Birriaman wrote:
Talented but not very bright... Another one-hit-wonder. Can anyone explain to me how his ex-husband could use up her entire royalties on a cave??? Anybody know the story?

She earns almost a million dollars a year in royalties from that song. He didn't use up her royalties. She is taken care of for life, just from that one little song. You never know what the future will bring, and what opportunities will come your way.

You know though, even if she read your comment, and understood the two personal insults you threw her way, she'd still be laughing all the way to the bank.

... Yeah, all the way to that $800+ bank account. Must have bought a few more caves.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
She has earned all those royalties yet still hasn't watched the anime? Perhaps she was caught with taking advantage of the royalties rather than see the finished product.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
She currently only has 100,000 yen ($829) in the bank, however, because her ex-husband bought a cave in Cappadocia (a region in Turkey known for its cave dwellings) for about 300 million yen ($2.5 million).

Why? And that far away from Japan, too.
consignia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Mature-Kun wrote:
NGE is nothing spacial.

Well it occupies at least two dimensions...
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
Mature-Kun wrote:
NGE is nothing spacial.

Well it occupies at least two dimensions...

Laughing Laughing Wink
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Whodaheckcares wrote:
WHO THE HELL IS THE BASTARD WHO WASTED *HER* MONEY ON A DAMN CAVE???? I leave the article with more questions than answers...

I guy with a pretty great man cave. Hopefully filled with Rei and Asuka merch.
Seska1973

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
The News talk about her Work and such, and you guys are just curious in this Money thing. Are you Jealous? Do you think inside he could trow the money into your Home instant into a Cave?

Or do you think here is some other reason at work? That this Cave only existed to spend/burn a Big amount of Money to pay less Fees?
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Gasero wrote:

I've never been to Japan so I do not know the relative popularity of Eva compared to modern series that receive more media attention. I think that most people in karaoke bars are likely from the era that Eva was most popular but since that time more modern series have taken media spotlight.

But, I was mostly trying to say that despite Eva's convoluted and almost nonsense plot people keep throwing money at the series. I was interested after viewing some of the series, but my enjoyment substantially waned as the story continued. I don't know why other people enjoy Eva anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4