• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto: The Seventh Hokage and the Scarlet Spring Spinoff Manga Ends Next Week

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
UncouthFive wrote:
YamiWheeler wrote:
About time.

The series has been dead for a while, let it rest now.

The same outta be said for 5D's, ZEXAL, & Arc-V.

Difference being those are completely separate stories that each have something new to tell, not just an attempt at beating a dead horse with "new" characters that are literally carbon copies of their parents.

At this point, the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime are just advertisements for the card game, and whilst it is still profitable, the anime will continue.

As for Naruto, they told and ruined the story they wanted to tell. It took 15 years. Time to let it die.

GJ, though, for trying to rile me up based on my username... despite failing miserably.
Tajima

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
[quote="YamiWheeler"]
UncouthFive wrote:

As for Naruto, they told and ruined the story they wanted to tell. It took 15 years. Time to let it die.

LOL, yeah, ruined it by ending its run as the 4th most popular series in Japan, with a "final" movie that ended up being the highest grossing in the franchise, and another on the way, with a spinoff mini-series that was the most popular comic in SJ each week it ran, cementing himself as one of the most popular and beloved mangaka in Japan no matter what he does for the rest of his life.

Damn, he really ruined that series. Laughing
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:
LOL, yeah, ruined it by ending its run as the 4th most popular series in Japan, with a "final" movie that ended up being the highest grossing in the franchise, and another on the way, with a spinoff mini-series that was the most popular comic in SJ each week it ran, cementing himself as one of the most popular and beloved mangaka in Japan no matter what he does for the rest of his life.

Damn, he really ruined that series. Laughing

I said he ruined the story, not the series, not the franchise. Success =/= a good story. Look at the Dragonball franchise, for example.

Nice fanboy tangent though. Laughing
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Are people still harping about this? Why do people still insist that there was a chance of that actually happen? It was obvious from the Pain arc and Kage summit there was zero chance of NaruSaku being a thing.

Emerje, 15 years of running the main manga and plenty of character interaction with each other is part of it. Truth be told, even after the events you mentioned, there still was a chance that it would happen but it didn't.

I don't really buy Kishi's claim that NaruHina was planned from the very start because he could've developed their relationship better and had plenty of chance but didn't. Also, in I think the first databook, Kishi said that Hinata was originally meant to be a minor character. The lead character getting shipped with a minor character doesn't really do well relationship wise (to me) unless she was more of a major character.
Tajima

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
YamiWheeler wrote:
Look at the Dragonball franchise, for example.

I see a series even more beloved around the world than Naruto, that's about to have a new anime 20+ years later and is coming off the success of two films by a dude who's basically a legend in and out of Japan.

Oh shit, guys, but some guy named after a YugiOh character didn't like it!

*tumbleweeds blow by* Laughing
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:
YamiWheeler wrote:

I see a series even more beloved around the world than Naruto, that's about to have a new anime 20+ years later and is coming off the success of two films by a dude who's basically a legend in and out of Japan.

Do you understand English? Do you understand the difference between a good story and a successful franchise? Do you understand that your argument is essentially tantamount to arguing that Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey are incredible stories because they are successful? After all, the Twilight franchise alone has "sold over 120 million copies worldwide with translations into at least 38 different languages around the globe," and has 5 movies that made over $3 billion dollars at the box office. (I can throw around irrelevant facts too.)

Dragonball is a beloved franchise, and extremely successful, but that has little to do with its literary value. It broke new ground at the time of its release, and has been incredibly influential to the anime genre, but I'm confident that no rational person is going to say that it has an incredible story.

Whether or not I'm named after a Yu-Gi-Oh! character, at least I'm not an irrational fanboy who thinks he's important because he shares a popular opinion, despite blindly defending his franchise to the death using entirely irrelevant and downright bizarre arguments that ignore basic comprehension of the English language. But hey, I guess that's Naruto's reader base for you; the typical demographic is still in school. Laughing
Tajima

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
YamiWheeler wrote:
Tajima wrote:
YamiWheeler wrote:

Do you understand English? Do you understand the difference between a story and a franchise? Do you understand that your argument is essentially tantamount to arguing that Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey are incredible stories because they are successful? After all, the Twilight franchise alone has "sold over 120 million copies worldwide with translations into at least 38 different languages around the globe," and has 5 movies that made over $3 billion dollars at the box office. (I can throw around irrelevant facts too.)

Dragonball is a beloved franchise, and extremely successful, but that has little to do with its literary value. It broke new ground at the time of its release, and has been incredibly influential to the anime genre, but I'm confident that no rational person is going to say that it has an incredible story.

Whether or not I'm named after a Yu-Gi-Oh! character, at least I'm not an irrational fanboy who thinks he's important because he shares a popular opinion, despite blindly defending his franchise to the death using entirely irrelevant and downright bizarre arguments that ignore basic comprehension of the English language. But hey, I guess that's Naruto's reader base for you; the typical demographic is still in school. Laughing

I've translated all your rambling for you below:

"I don't like it so it sucks". - YamiWheeler (Proud Yu-Gi-Oh fan).

There we go, and I didn't have to waste paragraphs trying to justify my taste in cartoons as being better than someone else's.

Have a good day. Laughing

Mod edit: insults removed -Galap
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:
I've translated all your rambling for you below:

"I don't like it so it sucks". - YamiWheeler (Proud Yu-Gi-Oh fan).

There we go, and I didn't have to waste paragraphs trying to justify my taste in cartoons as being better than someone else's.

Have a good day. Laughing

And here's an analysis of that post:

"I realize I am not intelligent enough to string together a cohesive argument, so I'm going to state the definition of an opinion and restate an earlier entirely irrelevant point and dress it up like a comeback." - Tajima (irrational Narutard)

It's funny you say that though, since this entire interaction began with you trying to justify your taste in cartoons as being better than mine. You even continue to do so in the sentence directly before you said that, and again in your edit. Ironic. Laughing

EDIT: Damn straight, I am. Unlike you and Naruto though, I'm not completely blind to its flaws.

Last edited by YamiWheeler on Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
rikku45

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
that sucks, it felt like it could of gone on for ages.
Tajima

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
YamiWheeler wrote:

It's funny you say that though, since this entire interaction began with you trying to justify your taste in cartoons as being better than mine. You even continue to do so in the sentence directly before you said that, and again in your edit. Ironic. Laughing

Uh, no it didn't. It began with you calling Naruto "dead for a while" and me pointing out that by no definition (other than your own opinion of the story, I guess) would anyone with any rational thought in their brain consider it to be a dead series.

You not liking a story does not make something a failure. Perhaps you will one day learn that your opinion is not factual evidence as to the quality of a work of fiction.

You think someone like you would already know that, though, being a YuGiOh fan and all.

YamiWheeler wrote:

EDIT: Damn straight, I am. Unlike you and Naruto though, I'm not completely blind to its flaws.

There's no way you could be, being a fan of a series THAT bad. Laughing
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:
Uh, no it didn't. It began with you calling Naruto "dead for a while" and me pointing out that by no definition (other than your own opinion of the story, I guess) would anyone with any rational thought in their brain consider it to be a dead series.

You not liking a story does not make something a failure. Perhaps you will one day learn that your opinion is not factual evidence as to the quality of a work of fiction.

You think someone like you would already know that, though, being a YuGiOh fan and all.

Me calling Naruto dead was my opinion of the story that was not directed at you. You decided to jump in since your Narutard pride was hurt, and in true blind fanboy style, you had to come to the masterpiece's rescue! I also at no point called Naruto a failure. The only thing I even insinuated close to that was that Naruto has flaws. Stop putting words in my mouth to justify your unwarranted attack.

Yes, it is my opinion, and at no point did I try to use my opinion as factual evidence. In fact, most of the time, I was battling against your incomprehension of the English language. You, on the other hand, have tried to throw around success as a gauge of a good story. Whether or not a story is good will almost always come down to opinion; there is no right answer, only arguments, and the success of the franchise is not a relevant argument.

Maybe one day you'll grow up and realize how much of what you say about others is a reflection of yourself. Then again, from what I've seen, maybe not...

Tajima wrote:
There's no way you could be, being a fan of a series THAT bad. Laughing

Oh shit guys, some random Narutard on the internet doesn't like Yu-Gi-Oh!

I'm glad to know that if my username was different, you'd have absolutely nothing to say, whilst I'd still be easily and consistently destroying your argument.

Last edited by YamiWheeler on Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tajima

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
YamiWheeler wrote:

I'm glad I've inspired you, kid. Now go get THE HEART OF THE CARDS! Laughing
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:
YamiWheeler wrote:

And that sad non-reply pretty much sums up your entire non-argument. Have a good day. Laughing
Tajima

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
YamiWheeler wrote:
Tajima wrote:
YamiWheeler wrote:

And that sad non-reply pretty much sums up your entire non-argument. Have a good day. Laughing

Will do, YamiWheeler. Will do. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2