• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What's With The Bootlegs On Amazon?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
On the 4K question, what I wish is for Japanese publishers to really embrace it. But I want NA publishers to stick to 1080. This mind sound like a bad deal for NA costumers, but I think that having a difference in high definition can forever put reverse importation fears to rest.

I love that idea, to be honest. Maybe we'll miss out on some indiscernible quality, and as a collector who always wants the best, that might seem a touch ironic, but Blu-ray is about as crystal clear as I imagine I will ever want. And if this would eliminate reverse importation fears, it would be worth it. I'm tired of waiting forever for BDs and getting super lame, barebones sets.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:
EDIT: Sorry, I misremembered. They require a pro account to list DVDs with a msrp higher than $25, which they say is to fight bootlegged disks.

Actually, I was told by an Amazon rep that this does apply to Blu-Rays but does not apply to DVDs.

Hmm, well Amazon isn't letting me list a particular DVD box set without upgrading to a pro account.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
We can't have a discussion about bootlegs on Amazon without referring back to this: Amazon Sells Sailor Moon Bootleg as "Official Boxset"/

My favourite part of the whole saga was when everyone bombarded them with reports and they responded by added "bootleg" to the product title...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
No need for anime to rush to 4K. The medium has mostly been a follower not a leader in technology trends. On a technical level, Justin is right in saying there wouldn't be that much of a visual difference besides big budget theatrical releases. With as volatile and niche an industry such as this, it's to be expected.

Bootlegs of merchandise is inevitable as long as China keeps manufacturing official versions alongside with it in their factories. Due to the nature of their work, there is bound to be cracks and seams that would allow undesirables to sell their wares unchecked, like RMT sellers in MMO's. Unless there's a massive shift in where anime merchandise is to be made, it'll be a cockroach in a nuclear wasteland situation. You just can't get rid of them.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Amazon's fake, or fraudulent merchandise selling policy.
"We do not knowingly sell, nor condone the sale of fake, non-licensed items and merchandise. So don't tell us cause we just don't want to know." Laughing
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Regarding Amazon Prime Video for anime, I do want to warn people that:
1) the quality is crap
2) a fair amount--most of the Sentai titles I checked out--were the broadcast version, not home video version. This goes for titles that have been added to Prime a good while after their DVD/BD release.

So if you decide to "purchase" the videos, you are getting ripped off IMO.

Are you confusing Amazon Instant Video (where they charge you for everything) with Amazon Prime Video (where you pay a subscription, but after about six months they send any title that isn't cheap PD back to Instant sales)?

I haven't seen that much anime on Prime--except for a few straggling Funi castoffs, same as Viewster--and even the mainstream Hollywood movies are starting to become an endangered species.
They sure do deliver on that MTV/Comedy/Nickelodeon "Exclusive deal" with Viacom, though.
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't know what to tell you about bootlegged anime product on Amazon. These items aren't coming from Amazon directly, but from the third party stores that simply sell on Amazon, so taking them down is probably like playing Whack-A-Mole. Clearly, policing these listings has not been a major priority for them.

Of course it's not a major priority for them! Playing "dumb" means they can continue to collect those exorbitant fees from the third partiers! Amazon will only remove a bootleg if a big enough stink is raised.

The same is true with evilBay! Granted, they're a little bit better with policing but typically only with major studio releases. Some years ago I listed a VHS copy of the 1994 Fantastic Four movie (yes, there was a low budget version directed by Roger Corman) I had bought at a convention a couple years earlier. feeBay removed it within a day, citing that it was an unauthorized copy (they were right and I knew it; I originally bought it out of curiosity).
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I wonder... When the Universal logo appears, am I the only one who automatically goes "Comcast *DING*"? Laughing
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I read that first response and couldn't help but wonder if Justin forgot he's talking about 4K content in regards to anime fans. Anime fans that are still buying physical media in 2015. If there was ever a market for niche appeal high end home video releases whose superiority comes more from the power of suggestion than discernible quality, anime fans seem like a good bet.

Yeah, but they don't even make anime in 1080p in 2015. There would be no point. They'd first have to get up to video standards circa like 2010 before moving beyond that. By the time anime is legit made in 4K it might be like 2028 and the world is on 32K.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Are you confusing Amazon Instant Video (where they charge you for everything) with Amazon Prime Video (where you pay a subscription, but after about six months they send any title that isn't cheap PD back to Instant sales)?

In the UK free streaming for Prime subscribers is officially called Amazon Prime Instant Video and the purchasable content is referred to as Shop Instant Video.

I'm guessing Amazon haven't quite fixed their terminology yet, so maybe that's what confused the poster?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
The thing with bootlegged items is that you can compare to the issue of fansubs or scanlations. That is, even if you took a few site down or removed the uploader/seller, more will come.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
I heard a rumour Amazon Instant Video had a rule that all of their content had to be exclusive to their service, consequently a lot of content providers were put off. I don't how true that is though...

I can assure that this is not the case. I have Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix, and if you search, you will find that at least 50-60% of their films are shared by all three. In fact, Epix licenses their movies and shows to both Amazon and Netflix, and supplies a big chunk of the newer movies to both (films from Paramount, Lion's Gate, and MGM.)

As far as anime, most of the shows on Amazon are from Sentai, and most are also streamed on Hulu, Crunchyroll, and The Anime Network.

EricJ2 wrote:

I haven't seen that much anime on Prime--except for a few straggling Funi castoffs, same as Viewster--and even the mainstream Hollywood movies are starting to become an endangered species.
They sure do deliver on that MTV/Comedy/Nickelodeon "Exclusive deal" with Viacom, though.

Most Amazon Prime videos can also be purchased, usually $1.99 to $2.99 an episode (for anime), so you can continue to stream them even after they leave Prime. They do offer a larger number of VOD titles, including shows from Sentai, Viz, and Funimation, that are only available to purchase and are not included in Prime streaming. It's not uncommon for earlier seasons of a show to be available on Prime, but episodes from the most recent season are only available to buy.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
No need for anime to rush to 4K. The medium has mostly been a follower not a leader in technology trends. On a technical level, Justin is right in saying there wouldn't be that much of a visual difference besides big budget theatrical releases. With as volatile and niche an industry such as this, it's to be expected.

There's also the matter of fact that most anime still aren't even produced in 1080p. Some shows and some movies are, but most are not. What seems to be typical for stuff from KyoAni is to have elements like CG backgrounds or OPs in 1080p but the character art in less than that. Right now the best bang for your HD buck is gonna be with high quality BDs of 35mm analog anime, like movies, OVAs, and Outlaw Star.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
On the 4K question, what I wish is for Japanese publishers to really embrace it. But I want NA publishers to stick to 1080. This mind sound like a bad deal for NA costumers, but I think that having a difference in high definition can forever put reverse importation fears to rest.

Really don't see this happening. As Justin has said, 4K brings nothing to the anime table.

Japanese anime fans probably wouldn't want it either. They gain nothing by having anime in 4K, and they would all have to buy 4K players and 4K TVs. None of that is cheap.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
4K? Brought to you from the same people who brought you the 3D tv tech, and you can see where that ended up. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4