• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Screening Abruptly Cancelled at Shanghai Int'l Film Fest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:04 am Reply with quote
I doubt the content is an actual issue, comedy or not, I think this was designed to embarass/piss off the Japanese and send a message to the Comrades that the Ministry can do what it wants.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:24 am Reply with quote
Well, it was banned by the government... I Think Honk Kong and Macau are still allowed to have these titles, being SARs.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:51 am Reply with quote
Why is animation picked on the most when it comes to violence and sexual themes? Live-action movies and TV shows do get their share of backlash but not to the point of being banned, at least not as much as anime.
CeaseActivity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:33 am Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Why is animation picked on the most when it comes to violence and sexual themes? Live-action movies and TV shows do get their share of backlash but not to the point of being banned, at least not as much as anime.

I'm pretty sure that all Chinese tv shows face a ton of censorship though. The problem is that anime tends to be pretty pervy, so if you remove the pervy stuff there's not much left (at least that's what I think is the reasoning behind it)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
I would find it interesting and rather weird if a film rep there said that the real reason it got canceled was because of gov't censorship.
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:24 am Reply with quote
Just fodder for Funimation next marketing campaign for an eventual re-release. I can see it now; "the series so controversial, it was banned in some countries."
microgamer2vs2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
When I was teaching there, several of my students knew of Tokyo Ghoul and Attack on Titan, so those who really want these shows have already found it or still have a means of finding it, just not through any official/government-sanctioned means (major video streaming sites, film festivals, etc.). I'm sure people will continue selling their bootleg merch from these series within the country too. You'd be surprised at how many things are banned/illegal in China, but still happen anyways.
Draft/Matic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
CeaseActivity wrote:
the-antihero wrote:

I'm pretty sure that all Chinese tv shows face a ton of censorship though. The problem is that anime tends to be pretty pervy, so if you remove the pervy stuff there's not much left (at least that's what I think is the reasoning behind it)

Chinese TV DOES get quite a bit of censorship. There was one incident where a contestant on a game show made a comment saying she'd rather "Cry in a BMW than be happy in a bike"something along those lines). After that the CCP decided to have censors making sure things like that don't happen it again. I'm pretty sure some years ago they also enacted some law pulling most anime off the air. Hence most people (99.99%) in China get their anime from online sources (it's quite easy to find anime subs online in China, even with the so called "bans").
endallchaos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
LMAO, I'm glad I don't live in China.
JadeDahlia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Obviously I disagree with censorship but I find it amusing that they apparently only decided to ban season 2 of Girls' Bravo. I haven't seen the show at all but it's interesting that they were that specific.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
JadeDahlia wrote:
Obviously I disagree with censorship but I find it amusing that they apparently only decided to ban season 2 of Girls' Bravo. I haven't seen the show at all but it's interesting that they were that specific.

Maybe it was favoritism Very Happy
the-antihero

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I hate what the world has become, a place where censorship is forced upon in the wrong places due to the sissy-minded pansy generation spewed the 21st century.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:

I suspect this has a lot less to do with these shows being animated than with them being from Japan. In case you hadn't noticed, tensions between these countries have been rising because of Chinese claims over the Senkakus and the Abe Government's advocacy of a more "muscular" military role for Japan. See, for instance, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/11221248/Why-do-Japan-and-China-have-such-a-frosty-relationship.html
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Xionea wrote:
Okay, but Inferno Cop? Really? Let's be real here, is it really necessary to ban a comedy anime where the characters are literally paper cutouts on sticks?
It's probably things like Justice Guy, the cowardly cop, etc or general obscenity grounds.
ajr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Xionea wrote:
Okay, but Inferno Cop? Really? Let's be real here, is it really necessary to ban a comedy anime where the characters are literally paper cutouts on sticks?
It's probably things like Justice Guy, the cowardly cop, etc or general obscenity grounds.

According to reddit, China has a thing about exposed bones.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3