• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Licenses Kotoura-san School Comedy TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes Kotoura-san. A show I watched and quickly forgot, definitely not one of those must own series for me personally. I can scarcely remember anything about it other than it was unremarkable.

Still it's in-keeping with NISAs other oddball licences and as per usual they've done a very nice set. I'm really liking their newly redesigned Premium Editions, so much more shelf friendly IMO.

Bit surprised they didn't play it safe and just give it a Standard Edition though, hopefully they picked it up cheap.

Megiddo wrote:
I'm much more likely to pick up last year's Sabagebu! which Ohta directed.

Same. Really enjoyed that show when it was airing, Momoka had me in a constant fit of giggles.
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I am a big fan of this series (except for one certain episode which stunk up the place), so I am quite happy to see it licensed; it was in my Top 5 for 2013, after all. It's one that I will definitely pick up myself if I don't get a review copy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Masara

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I'll be buying this. Even though the feels were certainly forced, that doesn't mean they weren't there.

NISA is currently my favorite NA distributor. I really miss those unique boxes you used to have for your PE releases.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I was kind of aghast when I saw they'd done that, though I understand why. I just sincerely hope they go back to the old style for new seasons of old shows.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow that was the fastest preorder I ever committed to.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
MischievousMelody wrote:
I was wondering how it was on Netflix when it wasn't licensed!

Arpeggio of Blue Steel was also on Netflix, but we later discovered CR actually had the home video rights to it, so I wonder if perhaps the same was true for Kotoura-san.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I am a big fan of this series (except for one certain episode which stunk up the place)...

Uh, was that episode . . . eleven? spoiler[The end of the serial attacker arc?]

MischievousMelody wrote:
I was wondering how it was on Netflix when it wasn't licensed!

It looks like it had been licensed but only for internet streaming. NISA then picked up the NA home video rights which hitherto were still unclaimed.

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Early 2013 was a dark time for anime.

Yeah, it was. Thirty-seven series began airing in winter and most of them were uniformly weak:

http://anichart.net/archive/winter-13

Thankfully the following spring season was (a little) stronger:

http://anichart.net/archive/spring-13
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Masara wrote:
I really miss those unique boxes you used to have for your PE releases.

I'd love to find the twerp who convinced you to ditch them and lop off his head...and pee down his neck hole. Twisted Evil
While I didn't do anything to convince them ( so no peeing down my neck hole please), I certainly was very happy they stopped using the long boxes. They look weird next to my other anime, and I don't have the space to display them by themselves.
Key

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Key wrote:
I am a big fan of this series (except for one certain episode which stunk up the place)...

Uh, was that episode . . . eleven? spoiler[The end of the serial attacker arc?]

While I didn't have a big problem with that one, I will certainly admit that it was the second-weakest episode.

No, I'm referring to the amusement park episode (ep 7, maybe?). I definitely praised the series in spite of both of those episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Melicans

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Early 2013 was a dark time for anime.

Yeah, it was. Thirty-seven series began airing in winter and most of them were uniformly weak:

http://anichart.net/archive/winter-13

Eh, I don't think it was all that bad. Not really any standout hits, but Haganai NEXT, GJ-bu, Kotoura, Problem Children, and Oreshura all gave me plenty of enjoyment. Not anything groundbreaking or with any real lasting legacy, but certainly enjoyable. Huh, only GJ-bu remains unlicensed out of the ones I watched that season. Maybe one day that will be picked up too.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:45 am Reply with quote
This one is tempting... I expect that the price point on the premium edition will prevent me from buying it though... Too bad, because NISA certainly knows how to produce a nice premium package! Their art books are really nice. I own a few of them, but I'd have to like the series more to fork out that amount of cash.
Blue21

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
Ooh, I loved this one. Probably my favourite 2013 anime. Is it too much to ask for the manga to get licensed?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

Early 2013 was a dark time for anime. Well, except for Love Live.

Eh, another thing winter 2013 had going for it was the fourth season of Minami-ke, returning to Japanese television after a four year hiatus and almost as great as Masahiko Ohta's original season (although I think the two Asread seasons are better than they get credit for, even if neither one is nearly as good as Minami-ke season 1 or season 4).
Melicans

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:
Ooh, I loved this one. Probably my favourite 2013 anime. Is it too much to ask for the manga to get licensed?

It has been, albeit digital only. You can get it on emanga I believe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2