• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Mega Drive Megatron

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't have any interest in collecting figurines myself (got enough ancient Lego models gathering massive amounts of dust as-is!), but I always loved reading the column anyway because of how entertaining Dave's write-ups were. Best of luck in your future endeavors!
old_yoshi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed all the columns Dave! Sorry to see it go.

So long and thanks for all the fish!
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Not enough things to do with it? This guy doesn't understand the point of a Transformers toy. The point is to transform, and many collectors of this kinda stuff complain about gimmicky toys. Often adding a gimmick to a Transformer just ruins the toy in general. This figure is a good Transformers toy. Maybe not a good action figure, but it's not meant to be an action figure...
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:19 am Reply with quote
I wish you the best in the projects you have currently underway. It's a shame to see the column go as it is, but I guess it is indeed truth that nothing lasts forever and changes are sometimes needed (or at least people in charge decide they're). I find the final review a very good pick and I hope that when similar reviews show up in the future on ANN they're as varied (media and franchise-wise) as you always tried to be.

Anyways several times I felt identified with whatever figure you decided to showcase while other times I would not even receive them for free but I stil clicked on the article and read your review because of your insight. Besides, whoever collects figures at one point or another finds him/herself reading this kind of things or watching a youtube review about the subject cause they're frankly relaxing.
navycherub

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:16 am Reply with quote
I'm so disappointed this is going away. Your personality really made this column special.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:20 am Reply with quote
You forgot to mention that all of the buttons on the controller are spring loaded so they feel a little like the real thing. Excellent little touch there.

Also keep in mind that being poseable and being able to hold a pose while standing are two very different things. He actually has above average articulation for a figure with virtually no ball joints (just some tiny ones in his ankles). Full range in his hips (thanks to jointed hip panels), nearly double knee joints (just a little short of bending all the way) and the ball jointed ankles give his legs a lot of flexibility. His shoulders have full range, but his elbows are only 90 degrees and he doesn't have a wrist swivel, but he does have one above the elbow and his wrist can be pivoted in a little bit out if wanted. His neck has full range side to side, he can look up and down a bit as well, and he can spin at the waist.

As far as actually standing goes, I find the trick is to pull the feet back so that his toes just barely peek out from under his lower leg and make the most of those side stabilizer parts, that's what they're there for.

I only have a few small complaints: 1) I wish the cord on the controller was removable. 2) I wish he had proper 5mm peg holds in his hands for holding weapons (looks like they corrected this with PS Prime). 3) I really wish the game cartridge turned into something, either a weapon or a Soundwave-like minion.

It's hard to express in words alone just how cool Mega Drive Megatron is. He's probably my favorite Transformer of the year and this is coming from a guy that's bought all of the Japanese MP releases this year. He easily has the most compact transformation I've ever seen in a transformer and I own over a thousand of them. Even when you look a the Mega Drive mode you have to keep in mind that a whole 1/3 of that is gun and 2/3 is Megatron. I really hope that the tricks that Takara Tomy learned making this carry over into MP figures later on. There's nothing else like it making it very hard (for me anyway) to pick apart.

Well, Dave, thanks for the fun. It's hard to see and the current Astro Toy go away, but I look forward to seeing what the next evolution brings.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I wish you the best in the projects you have currently underway. It's a shame to see the column go as it is, but I guess it is indeed truth that nothing lasts forever and changes are sometimes needed (or at least people in charge decide they're). I find the final review a very good pick and I hope that when similar reviews show up in the future on ANN they're as varied (media and franchise-wise) as you always tried to be.

Anyways several times I felt identified with whatever figure you decided to showcase while other times I would not even receive them for free but I stil clicked on the article and read your review because of your insight. Besides, whoever collects figures at one point or another finds him/herself reading this kind of things or watching a youtube review about the subject cause they're frankly relaxing.
MagicallyDelicious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's unfortunate news. Even though a large portion of the figures reviewed didn't necessarily line up with my personal tastes, I still enjoyed this column. I hope ANN keeps a column about figures in some form, at least.

I would have loved to read the CCSakura article, by the way!
jtron

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Like several others in the thread I'm barely a toy person at all (I do have a weakness for plush anime mascots) but read this column for your writing. Thanks for the good times! Of course I'll be keeping up with Kawaiikochans... and I'll keep checking Subatomic Brainfreeze just in case you start updating regularly again.

PS In my dream last night, I walked by a room where people were watching anime... I asked them what it was and they said "SASURAIGER". This is entirely your fault.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
A shame to see you go, David. Your articles were always pretty entertaining to read, but I wish you well in whatever you do following this. Thanks for showing us these sometimes great, sometimes crappy quality figures that cost more than a video game to buy.

Megatron as a Mega Drive, haha, that really is amusing. Didn't know Megsy was a fan of Sonic. XP
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Man, it's sad to see you go. I enjoyed the collumn, even though I'm not too into figures. I actually did end up getting one or two after following this column. I know it will be under new management, but it won't be the same. Good luck with whatever the future brings you.
Lann

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:35 am Reply with quote
Bring back Rob. I miss him Sad
Kosaka

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed the column, and am sorry to see David Cabrera go, especially since it seems he was presented with changes and told to take it or leave it. I'll be interested to see how the new column compares to David Cabrera's columns, and if I'll be able to at least understand why having David Cabrera's version of the column wasn't compatible with adding new content.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2