• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Discs of Steel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Anime Sols, which has regularly struggled with getting enough awareness for its campaigns,

Replace awareness with lazy fans.

Are you saying it's the fans' job to function as Anime Sols' marketing arm?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel:
Quote:
Are you saying it's the fans' job to function as Anime Sols' marketing arm?

For crowdfunders, yes. Unless they really don't want the show to reach its goal, then they can do what they want. Just don't lie in certain surveys about what you might purchase versus what you will purchase. Licensors don't like that.

Anyway, Mami still needs $3,700 to reach its goal.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Here's my question: Studio Pierrot has already made money off of the series because 3 of the boxes have been funded. Are they out any money if they don't get box 4 funded?

Admittedly, this is an odd part. Mike Toole has brought it up before on Twitter, but if you think of the drives as totaling to an overall required amount, then Mami should be fully funded by now, especially with the overflow that the previous three sets earned. Unfortunately, Sols's partner companies are seemingly considering each set its own separate production while also apparently considering the entire thing as a whole. In other words, the fact that the previous three sets earned extra money doesn't matter for the last set, but at the same time if the last set doesn't succeed then the entire project will likely be looked at as a failure.

It sounds ridiculous, but at the same time is sounds very "Japanese business"-esque.

Quote:
I could be totally wrong, but doesn't Anime Sols do all the work for them? Or is it a pride thing?

Technically, Sols is doing everything for free. The drives aren't just to produce the DVD sets, but also to cover the costs of translation, timing, web maintenance, & other Sols-related costs as well as the general production & distribution costs. Sam has admitted numerous times that Anime Sols has almost no budget to work with & essentially relies on successful drives just to continue existing.

If something like Creamy Mami & Dear Brother can get their last sets funded, though, then maybe the partner companies will be willing to give Sols some actual budget to work with & maybe even give Sam an employee to take some of the workload off of him so he can focus more on stuff like promotion & improving the website. This is just a guess, though.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, I'll just reiterate the following: No Mami, no Sugar Sugar Rune or Tokyo Mew Mew.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Just don't lie in certain surveys about what you might purchase versus what you will purchase. Licensors don't like that.

Where are you getting information about the results of the Anime Sols survey? I didn't find anything in Anime Sols news section or anywhere on ANN, nor did any new series announcements on Sols mention the survey results as a reason for the selection.

Moreover, how is anyone going to offer a commitment to buying a series they've probably never seen? The mostly very old stuff Sols offers isn't well covered by fansubs (although the successful drives have been). Isn't that what the streaming is for? So who's going to promise to buy something before the series is even being streamed?

Lord Geo wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:
Here's my question: Studio Pierrot has already made money off of the series because 3 of the boxes have been funded. Are they out any money if they don't get box 4 funded?

Admittedly, this is an odd part. Mike Toole has brought it up before on Twitter, but if you think of the drives as totaling to an overall required amount, then Mami should be fully funded by now, especially with the overflow that the previous three sets earned. Unfortunately, Sols's partner companies are seemingly considering each set its own separate production while also apparently considering the entire thing as a whole. In other words, the fact that the previous three sets earned extra money doesn't matter for the last set, but at the same time if the last set doesn't succeed then the entire project will likely be looked at as a failure.

It sounds ridiculous, but at the same time is sounds very "Japanese business"-esque.

Kind of annoying because it doesn't match up with what was said about later drives for a series needing less money. I think they have been, but by a token amount.

Last edited by Fronzel on Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel:
Quote:
Where are you getting information about the results of the Anime Sols survey?

They sent out a mailer saying Polymar was the most requested. Too bad they were catfished.

Quote:
Moreover, how is anyone going to offer a commitment to buying a series they've probably never seen?

Well, first off, they're streaming the entire thing, so problem solved. But that didn't stop Mai Mai Miracle from being funded, either, so that's not much of an excuse.

Quote:
The mostly very old stuff Sols offers isn't well covered by fansubs.

Actually, with the exception of longer stuff like Yatterman, they've been thoroughly fansubbed, which is the bane of Sols' existence-unless the fans are willing to buy 'em anyway, as is the case with Dear Brother.

Quote:
So who's going to promise to buy something before the series is even being streamed?

People who filled out the surveys, it seems. Of course, their promises don't mean a thing, but fortunately, there are still some titles they're committed to, no matter what.

Meanwhile, Mami still needs about $3,700 to reach its goal.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
The mostly very old stuff Sols offers isn't well covered by fansubs. Isn't that what the streaming is for? So who's going to promise to buy something before the series is even being streamed?

Um, the anime streams on Sols (for free) in advance of the funding drives (or during them), so there's no need to hunt for fansubs, unless you think you need to see every episode in sets 2-4 before buying set 1.

If anything, I think they've got the reverse problem (Ye Olde "why buy the cow when you're getting the milk for free"). I find it hard to believe, in a nation of 300,000,000+, that it's that hard to find 200-300 who want to support any particular anime.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
The mostly very old stuff Sols offers isn't well covered by fansubs. Isn't that what the streaming is for? So who's going to promise to buy something before the series is even being streamed?

Um, the anime streams on Sols (for free) in advance of the funding drives (or during them), so there's no need to hunt for fansubs, unless you think you need to see every episode in sets 2-4 before buying set

GATSU wanted hard promises of funding from the survey that Sols had out a while ago. This was gauging interest in series before Sols put any of them up.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Mikeseki:
Quote:
I find it hard to believe, in a nation of 300,000,000+, that it's that hard to find 200-300 who want to support any particular anime.

It's not Kickstarter, so it's beneath the majority of fans. Since it's better to be in with the cool people who also have their ID's stolen from weak security than to be with that lame mom-and-pop site which at least knows how to encrypt its info. Rolling Eyes

Fronzel:
Quote:
GATSU wanted hard promises of funding from the survey that Sols had out a while ago. This was gauging interest in series before Sols put any of them up.

Sols said Polymar was the most requested show to be funded. That implies that the fans are willing to support it, if happens. But it didn't get supported when it did happen, which means they're liars. Moving on, Mami is still $3,645 away from its goal.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh, are you so bitter because Polymer didn't get funded and you really wanted it to be? Luckily, no one's obligated to fulfill what they've selected on a survey, so it's really just a case of "though shit." Maybe everyone forgot about AnimeSols when those surveys were made nearly a year ago, remember how people on ANN didn't even know of its existence until after some pledge drives ended? That's probably still the case.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
walw:
Quote:
Oh, are you so bitter because Polymer didn't get funded and you really wanted it to be?

No, I don't really care, 'cus the show only worked on some levels for me. I did like it overall, but there are too many weak episodes which recycle storylines or just have really crappy villains. And I already told Sols which Tatsunoko shows they should be crowdfunding which have a chance of actual success. But they did throw fans a friggin' bone by offering them a chance to fund it at half price last year. And they still bailed. So that part is what irks me. Plus, the whole "reaching out and trying to connect with that ungrateful audience" part.

Quote:
Luckily, no one's obligated to fulfill what they've selected on a survey, so it's really just a case of "though shit."

You misspelled tough. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Maybe everyone forgot about AnimeSols when those surveys were made nearly a year ago,

It wasn't a year ago. It was months ago.

Quote:
remember how people on ANN didn't even know of its existence until after some pledge drives ended?

Ok, but now they do know. So what's their current excuse, other then, "I get off on crashing-and-burning the aspirations of other anime fans"?

Anyway, Mami needs $3,600, now.
asdqweiop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Is AnimeSols even needed anymore with the rash of Discotek/Sentai releases of older shows? A year ago I was excited to put up my money to get older shows released. Now I'm failing to see the need for crowd funding when we're starting to get a pretty steady stream of normal releases at (and this has for me, personally, become a bit of a sticking point) a fraction of the cost.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
asd:
Quote:
Is AnimeSols even needed anymore with the rash of Discotek/Sentai releases of older shows?

Yes, and I already said why: Because there are still older shows which Discotek and Sentai will not pick up, either because they've been pirated to death, or because the demand is not there. The demand should be hypothetically higher for magical girl and shoujo shows if that audience didn't torrent or bootleg them while falsely claiming they're mega-fans. [See also: Sailor Moon, Kodocha and probably Full Moon O Sagashite. And as for dude titles, Ippo. ]

Meanwhile, Mami needs about $3,500, now.

Last edited by GATSU on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:13 pm; edited 5 times in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Great questions this week, particularly the one about Blu-Ray episode divvying.

Yep. That was something I had been meaning to ask about but kept forgetting. I suppose the reason for my forgetfulness was because, like Justin said, it doesn't really matter much how they divide it. But like the person asking said, the extras we see didn't seem like enough to warrant putting the bulk of a show on the first disc, so I was certainly curious. I hadn't even considered that it was mostly because of a difference in layering.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
@GATSU: Did it occur to you that the Mami fans may have spent a lot of money at the beginning of the drive to help fund the series, and simply aren't able/willing to spend more to get the 4th set funded?

I contributed $40 for the first set. When the 2nd set was on the edge of failing I upped my initial $40 contribution to $100. I spent another $40 on the 3rd set. If the series manages to get fully released I'll have spent over $200 on just this one series. Financially I'm at a point already that I'm not willing to spend more than the $40 contribution to help get the 4th set released, let alone contribute to any other series released on the site, and I can't help but wonder how many other contributors are in the same boat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9