• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Akira Toriyama to Draw Manga About Goku's Mom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
I can't believe it's taken this long. At this point, I thought Goku just spawned or something.

It's not really that surprising when you consider Toriyama didn't actually create Bardock. It's mentioned in the manga that Goku looks like his father, but no name or picture is given in the manga until after Bardock appeared animated. Doesn't seem like he's ever really had much interest in exploring his characters' backgrounds that far.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

On another note, I think it is really lame (and boring) that Goku's mother is going to be a gentle person. Typical Japanese sexist mindset at play where women are expected to be demure housewives, not bloodthirsty battle-hungry warriors.

Agreed. Was really hoping she was going to be some awesome badass, but alas, females, even saiyan females, just have to fit the stereotypes...

Except...Dragon Ball females typically aren't overly sweet. Most of them have enough willpower to make even the much-more-powerful male character quiver with fear. So in a way, Goku's mom being the opposite of all of that is actually a refreshing difference for the series. And the fact that it flies in the face of expectations just makes it so Toriyama, IMO.

Granted, there is still the issue that most female DB characters exist solely to make more male characters...*sigh*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
xXInfinite026Xx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
the skinny wrote:
Quote:
She fights along with Bardock in a four-Saiyan team

If it's Bardock's crew, then it should be Fasha!

Buuuuut by the sound of it (she has a gentle nature) looks like Toriyama probably botched that up...

The article sounds a bit misleading, but it describes that she used to be on Bardock's Team, presumably one before his last crew featured in the TV special.

Also, there's many suggestions that points to Fasha (or rather her real name, Selypa) not being Goku's mother since she is on a distant planet with Bardock when she asks him about his son being born.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

On another note, I think it is really lame (and boring) that Goku's mother is going to be a gentle person. Typical Japanese sexist mindset at play where women are expected to be demure housewives, not bloodthirsty battle-hungry warriors.

Agreed. Was really hoping she was going to be some awesome badass, but alas, females, even saiyan females, just have to fit the stereotypes...

I'm sure her personality will be written in as the source of Goku's good nature, though that just ignores the whole hitting his head thing.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Unless the bump to his head was just what brought his more gentle nature that he had inherited to the forefront, so it could be a bit of both.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Yeah, I was kind of disheartened to find out that Goku's mother wasn't a hardened warrior as well; it would have been cool for Toriyama to take it that way. At least the DB saga still has some pretty killer female characters in Android 18, Videl, Bulma and (if you count GT) Pan.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully she won't also be voiced by Nozawa.
DerekPadula

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for linking to my article on Goku's mother, Anime News Network!

There's more info there that will answer most of your questions.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Goku's family, it's really a shame Toriyama didn't make Raditz more relevant character in series, than just first DBZ boss.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
the skinny wrote:
Quote:
She fights along with Bardock in a four-Saiyan team

If it's Bardock's crew, then it should be Fasha!

Buuuuut by the sound of it (she has a gentle nature) looks like Toriyama probably botched that up...

no kidding. though it would explain where goku got his gentle side from. but he better not make her pathetic like, otherwise this is gonna backfire big time. though at least their not gonna make her a chi chi clone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deadwing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
Speaking of Goku's family, it's really a shame Toriyama didn't make Raditz more relevant character in series, than just first DBZ boss.

That always bugged me as well. I mean, he's the main character's brother, yet he's just some minor villain who lasts for several chapters, is killed off, and is never mentioned again.

Speaking of Raditz, it seems like a recurring fan theory is that just like how Goku takes after Bardock, Raditz favors their mother. In other words, she's really tall with a widow's peak and ridiculously long, bushy hair. There was some fanart that accompanied an old late 90s AU fanfic that showed her looking like that. She was the tallest character in the picture.
Apashi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She fights along with Bardock in a four-Saiyan team, where he repeatedly saves her.

I really like the sound of this, except for that the male fighter has to save the gentle woman. I'm not sure if Toriyama can handle a non-sexist relationship either. I really hope he can but, it isn't likely. It was appropriate in the 80's but he may get flamed for this now. I love dbz couples, I just wish he would give the women some more credit.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I don't care what Gine's nature is, the mere fact that she now exists and Toriyama is finally willing to give her a story is more than enough for me. Honestly, the mystery surrounding Goku's mother was a major loose end that never got tied up over the years so finally seeing Toriyama notice this loose end and tie it up is great.

Now, if he can only set the record straight as to whether Dragon Ball Online is canon to Z.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
What it makes me wonder is if another one of anime's parentage mysteries will ever be solved... will Naoko Takeuchi ever reveal if Princess Serenity had a father in the Silver Millennium, or did she just come about via pathogenesis from Queen Serenity or something?
LaSean

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Quote:
As a consequence, she is assigned to a meat distribution center.

Both dark and funny! Ah, right, she's not the meat, I guess. So it's just kind of weird then. And apparently, another person has forgotten about Radditz.

Quote:
In 2011, Bardock, the father of Dragon Ball lead protagonist Goku, became the star of his own manga, Episode of Bardock, which expanded on his backstory.

If that was the origin of the special I saw, it didn't expand his backstory, it demolished it and built a super saiyan apartment complex over it.
Yeah it's not canon. It's just a "what if" scenario written by someone else can't remember her name.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3