• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: CNN Discovers Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, Calls Her Japan's Lady Gaga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What's so different from this pop star to the next?

I dont like J-pop at all,but I would say Kyary Pamyu Pamyu's music is more eccentric then your usual J-pop song.Granted it is still is the same genre and it is not like she is avant-garde or an auteur,but her songs do stand out.
NGK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:24 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
ZanraiKid wrote:
While I can applaud CNN for getting the basic ideas behind Kyary right and portraying the persona accurately, I feel she would have never been recognized if it weren't for the Cool Japan initiative. Since she has been around since 2011 and is only just getting mass media attention, you'd think they recognize her career prior. Also, to say she is Japan's hottest export would be guffaw worthy. Kyary's no where close to being the only hot Japanese act, and even South Korea doesn't acknowledge that PSY is the only thing they have in their favor. Then there is the fact that anime still exists...

No several K-pop groups (ie: BigBang, Girls Generation) has already gotten attention around the world. Both BigBang, and Girls Generation and other K-pop groups has already made their marked on the Billboard and other places. Nowhere, J-pop has ever achieved this on a global scale like K-pop did. PSY has already gotten recognition around the world, Kyary doesn't get this same level of global recognition like PSY did. Anime/manga still exist but these day, Korea is already rocking the world thanks to K-pop and K-dramas, and Korean films. Anime/manga is not enough to get Japan on the global radar again. I feel like Japan could model their Cool Japan from their Korean counterpart, South Korea did it well and now look what happen, Hallyu/Korean Wave. South Korea played the marketing/globalization game better then Japan, if Japan can export more J-dramas, J-pop, and other cool thing not only anime and manga, maybe Japan can replicate it's own Hallyu. I'm not sure if Cool Japan program can reach the same level as South Korea for the Hallyu. Right now, Girls Generation, 2NE1, BigBang, SHINee, Super Junior is more recognized worldwide then any of the local J-pop act that include Kyary.

I'm not sure if it's in the best interest of creators and artists to have Government overseeing them. Creators and artists may even lose some freedom once they take gubmint money.

and as for:

Quote:
Anime/manga is not enough to get Japan on the global radar again.

I'm sure of legions otaku who mainly support to current anime/manga industry would like to keep it that way. Mainstreaming anime/manga to those not versed in Japanese culture is the biggest threat to the thriving otaku culture scene. If Japan does seriously carry out its own Halyu, with anime/manga included, ... be prepared to see a barrage of ignorant critics from the Left armed and ladened with "political-correctness" and other "ism/-isms" (like this for example http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/12/18/anna_in_frozen_her_eyes_are_bigger_than_her_wrists.html - This is just a Disney movie... just wait until they get a hold of the anime most people are watching on the internets these days:lol: ).

In short, anime/manga doesn't need massification... it only needs people who are genuinely interested in the first place (and of course... repeat buyers).

Also, I like the anime/manga we're getting free of "P.C." and other "-ism's" Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2