• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Death Note Creator Arrested for Possessing a Knife

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:54 pm Reply with quote
It's basically a cheap law that a cop will use when they when to make a bust...my buddy got pinch for the same thing on the fourth of July weekend, and he explained to the cop that he was only a few miles outside of the camping grounds.
I_AM_L

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Makes me want to check the laws if I ever go on vacation there.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I hope he doesn't actually get sent to jail. That would be so stupid. The thing I find interesting is they say it was found in his console..I assume by that they mean the glovebox. The thing is a cop can't search your glovebox or center console without a warrant or probable cause. Now without a warrant they still can't if it's locked. I dunno what Japanese laws are like but I would think that they can't just simply search anything they want without just reason. Who knows what their laws are like though. For all of you out there though if your glove box locks then lock it. Cops can't search it without a warrant and if they do make sure you tell your lawyer because the evidence can't be used at that point as it's "tainted." The only exception is with a drug sniffing dog if it dtects anything. I know this btw because I'm a criminal Justice Major in college...don't want people getting the wrong idea lol.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Properly used an ordinary razor blade, one of those small ones, can easily kill. It doesn't take that much pressure applied nor much length before a blade reaches a vital artery. Surprising someone and slitting their throat is very different from trying to stab someone to death. And, no matter how small, a cutting blade is still a deadly weapon. No one thought box cutters were particularly dangerous until terrorists used them to hijack four planes on September 11, 2001.

Basic rule of personal defense: Anything can be a weapon. Remember this if you are ever in a situation where someone is trying to hurt you. Heavy objects can be bludgeons, sharp objects cutting or stabbing weapons, and etc.

Oh, and not to turn this into a debate about it, but September 11th has come into such incredibly harsh criticism that I wouldn't use what is claimed to have happened as an example of anything if you want to avoid an argument.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Properly used an ordinary razor blade, one of those small ones, can easily kill. It doesn't take that much pressure applied nor much length before a blade reaches a vital artery. Surprising someone and slitting their throat is very different from trying to stab someone to death. And, no matter how small, a cutting blade is still a deadly weapon. No one thought box cutters were particularly dangerous until terrorists used them to hijack four planes on September 11, 2001.

Basic rule of personal defense: Anything can be a weapon. Remember this if you are ever in a situation where someone is trying to hurt you. Heavy objects can be bludgeons, sharp objects cutting or stabbing weapons, and etc.

Oh, and not to turn this into a debate about it, but September 11th has come into such incredibly harsh criticism that I wouldn't use what is claimed to have happened as an example of anything if you want to avoid an argument.

Something about your tone is incredibly incredulous.

I mean he was just pointing out anything sharp can be used as a weapon, duh. Or are you just trolling? In that case precede.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spikemcruffy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:30 pm Reply with quote
jj

Last edited by Spikemcruffy on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Riyousha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Takeshi Obata with a knife is his car? But he's a creator not a serial killer.

What's next? Stan Lee with a big dangerous axe?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
selenta wrote:

Something about your tone is incredibly incredulous.

I mean he was just pointing out anything sharp can be used as a weapon, duh. Or are you just trolling? In that case precede.

Actually I think he was just warning me that using the reference might spark a pointless political debate which is entirely possible. To the best of my knowledge, there isn't any significant debate over the methods used to hijack the planes.

My point was indeed to just point out the usefulness of any sharp object as a weapon. Thanks for the defense Dargonxtc

Due to a rather horrible event that happened to my family, I'm quick to bring up the lethality of any edged weapon. There are a lot of people who don't take knives of any length seriously because firearms are more effective at killing. I can tell you that knives can be just as destructive to people's lives.

Believe me.
SomeWhiteGuy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Wait, I dont see anywhere in the news article that says how the officer found the knife. Was the car being searched? If so then why? Or was the knife just out in the open?
ironwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Very true. I have quite a bit of knowledge/experience in this area. I have taught/practiced Yuen Kay San Wing Chun Kung Fu for 14+ years precisely from a self-defense standpoint--to be blunt, I teach "how to kill people." I should note that I accept only a handful of students (I don't charge a fee), and then after a personal psych evaluation. I will personally attest to the fact that a small blade can very deadly in the hands of a skilled individual.

As an aside, I have a Class II Federal Firearms License which allows me to manufacture machineguns, suppressors, and other National Firearms Act weapons (all the GOOD anime weapons Smile ). I also have hundreds of hours of tactical training with firearms while working with law enforcement. In my experience, weapons laws are rarely effective for preventing crime and usually cause quite the opposite.

Weapons laws provide a political "feel-good" while allowing the government entity to maintain control of the populace. They are particularly effective for populace control if established for a long enough period that they are culturally accepted and ingrained. In this case, varying levels of totalitarianism can be enacted by a government body with little effort. No need to elaborate further as history is rife with examples.

I'll assume this is the case with the Japanese since they are a socialized democracy rather than a "true" democracy. NOTE: the US is moving toward a bastardization of facism and representative democracy.

EDIT: In the US a cop can search ANY vehicle under the auspice of "reasonable suspicion," regardless of whether or not you consent to a search. If such an unwarranted search is later contested in court, the cop must prove that he had "reasonable suspicion." We have far less rights regarding vehicular searches than most realize, particularly after passage of the Patriot Act.
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Kudos towards ironwarrior, he's 100% on the money. Especially the effectiveness of such anal laws.

td99
camelot187757

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
seriously, who cares?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this doesn't hurt him too badly.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

Not just anything sharp. ANYTHING can be used as a weapon. From simple things like hands to nuclear weapons.

But man, my pocket knife is 9 cm and I'm still allowed to own that.

camelot187757 wrote:
seriously, who cares?
Those of us waiting for Obata's beutiful artwork to be in yet another series very soon.
noriko-takaya

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:04 pm Reply with quote
In Japan, citizens have fewer protections of the right to privacy and fewer rights for criminal suspects than in the United States. Japanese police routinely search citizens at will and twice a year pay "home visits" to citizens' residences. Suspect confession rate is 95% and trial conviction rate is more than 99.9%. The possession of legal weapons in Japan is severely restricted by law and dates back to when the modernization of Japan began to take place. This started with the confiscation of all weapons carried by samurai. There is a book out there, The Seven Myths of Gun Control, which explains Japan's laws regarding weapons, including firearms. You can go here for more news regarding this: http://www.guncite.com/journals/dkjgc.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4