• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voice Actor Boot Camp

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:08 am Reply with quote
Damn, I'll have to find my way to one of these things some day.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:51 am Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
If I was a rich kid who lived in California, I'd so go to this.

Hey, I'm a rich kid in California! Want to trade places? (Hawaii seems like a nice place...)

I don't have much interest in something like this though. I can't voice act for the life of me, and whenever I try, I either sound bored or overdramatic.
gamemasterharry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:59 am Reply with quote
what sucks is that i'm moving to burbank next friday for my college and i don't have the money to do this otherwise i would
cubivore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:48 am Reply with quote
ADV has been doing some sort of VO seminar for about a month now. i heard if you're interested all you have to do is call them. and it's cheeper than the LA one.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:24 am Reply with quote
also remember the area... most things in TX are cheaper

that said, it's been covered already

however, this is a slightly more expensive class, and it is definately more advanced, but having been, is worth it

http://www.creatingvoices.com/vo_classes/workshops/lipsync/lipsync.html

My advice to people is to train in VO and vocals, in addition to any acting classes you can grab. There are some great online resources, not the least of which are the amateur voice acting websites (such as http://voiceactingalliance.com/board/ and www.flava.org)... some of which actually have a strong contingent of professional voice actors as members and staff helping out people who want to learn more about VO.

Once you have some training and feel confident in your abilities, work on developing character voices. Because you can mimic a voice is not a bad skill, but being able to come up with your own character is much more rewarding from a professional perspective. There are several good instructors on both coasts and in-between that I've dealt with, and while it is a difficult process, it's worth it.

For anime, you then need to learn about ADR. I know that almost every panel I've seen from the AVA side has had some ADR clips (I've created a ton of those clips for them, so I'm a bit biased). And several professional anime VAs and guests (like Dave Williams from ADV) do ADR panels all the time. It's a good way to learn about them before deciding to take the next step and spend a few thousand dollars (and yes you will spend several thousand dollars in most cases before you ever do any work... classes, travel costs, demos, headshots, etc.) to pursue this.

I've never done a professional anime, maybe I never well... I don't live in Tx or CA, and despite invites from friends and relatives, I don't see it happening anytime soon. That's life... I've done commercial and industrial, even some animation (just not anime) and games. My advice to people is to go to one of the bootcamps and see what you think. Then go and hang out on some of the forums, maybe spend $100-$250 for a basic recording setup to practice with (there are articles on the forums and various sites as to a good, yet inexpensive home recording chains) and practice what you've learned. When you get comfortable enough that you're not constantly saying "gee is that what I sound like" (the effects of bone conduction really throws most amateurs for a loop for a couple of weeks/months) then look at local instruction and see where it leads you.

It's a lot of work, it can be a lot of fun. It does require an enormous amount of dedication and perseverence and most people won't make it, let alone to a level where you get regular work. Accept this in the beginning, remember that it's about having fun at this point and you'll be golden Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2