• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sonic the Hedgehog Gets His 1st CG Animated Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R. Glover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
BonusStage wrote:
So.. American cartoon, not an anime? Gonna pass Confused Sonic X spoiled me too much I guess

I don't mean to be rude, but what did any of you guys like about Sonic X? Its animation was cheap and soulless, its music was unfitting, and above all, when it wasn't directly taking stuff from the games, it was slow and boring. For Sonic of all characters, this is a cardinal sin.

Which version; the English or Japanese one?
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
BonusStage wrote:
So.. American cartoon, not an anime? Gonna pass Confused Sonic X spoiled me too much I guess

I don't mean to be rude, but what did any of you guys like about Sonic X? Its animation was cheap and soulless, its music was unfitting, and above all, when it wasn't directly taking stuff from the games, it was slow and boring. For Sonic of all characters, this is a cardinal sin.

....I was young and stupid back then...
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
From the look of the shadow, Sonic could be wearing a vest...
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Hoping that Knuckles isn't as muscular as that shadow. It'd be so...off-putting. Though I guess it would make him similar in stature to Storm and Vector...?

Eh, Sonic X. Once upon a time, I thought it was neat. Looking back, I realize how much I hated the character Chris and that the majority of it took place on our own Earth. Sonic's world has endless possibilities. It could have blended genres and been topped with metaphysics. I never did understand why they chose to constrain themselves with our world when it's not only unnecessary, but inhibiting. We had characters Randomly Doing Things and many of the relationships barely progressed beyond one-liners. Why even introduce the extended cast (ie; those beyond Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, Shadow, Amy) if you barely touch their potential? I'm not expecting some science fiction epic. Personally, I think a fun romp with dark touches fits well with Sonic. I just wish it wasn't a husk of what it could been: fun, entertaining, and perhaps a bit nostalgic.

On this show: I hope it's one that is composed of Sonic/Sega/video game geeks. I love when little references are thrown in or minor characters (Mighty, Ray, Fang) get more exposure.
E-Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Sonic is getting another show, not sure what this one will be like until a teaser or promo is shown. In my opinion a reboot or revival on SatAM Sonic would be an ideal new show, but thats wishfull thinking there.
L stole my cookie!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Knuckles has been poppin' some serious roids.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:16 am Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
Davy0 wrote:
Holy shit, this is going to be hilarious in a good or bad way. Maybe both. Glad to see Sonic is getting recognition in media again, now where the hell is my Sonic Archie animated series... Evil or Very Mad

20 years ago is where it was. My god, has it really been that long? As for this, long as there's no Chris Thorndyke, it could be ok. With Sonic X, there was a big debate on whether it simply suffered a bad dub, or was it just a bad show even a good dub couldn't save. (Besides little kids making it more popular here than it was in Japan).

Mmm that series was so good. The nostalgia in me is screaming just hearing that song.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
BonusStage wrote:

Sonic X was pretty much the only Sonic show that actually tried and had a plot and stuff.. and the music was great, the OPs EDs and BGM too. This just looks like more CG garbage and Knuckles design looks weird Sad Plus it just says its a comedy series rather than an action plot focused one.. America can't do plot shows very well though I guess and censorship kinda hurt action shows so I guess it's the best they could do.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
[quote="BonusStage"]
Looneygamemaster wrote:
Sonic X was pretty much the only Sonic show that actually tried and had a plot and stuff..

Um. The ABC Sonic the Hedgehog show totally had a plot. And a pretty dark one at times. That's why its so memorable (and why I love that it continues to live on in the Archie series)
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
Looks at shadows.... I already don't like where this is going....

well if it gets watered down like Sonic X was ( under the hand of thr horror that is 4kids ) , then this is an accident waiting to happen.

R. Glover wrote:
Looneygamemaster wrote:
BonusStage wrote:

Exactly.

If its the US version that is being controlled by 4kids / Vortex , then hell yes.

true the first season had nothing to do with the sonic adventure games , but that is where the chaos and shadow sagas took place cause it did have some elements of their game counterparts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
R. Glover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:20 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:
Looks at shadows.... I already don't like where this is going....

well if it gets watered down like Sonic X was ( under the hand of thr horror that is 4kids ) , then this is an accident waiting to happen.

R. Glover wrote:
Looneygamemaster wrote:
BonusStage wrote:

Exactly.

If its the US version that is being controlled by 4kids / Vortex , then hell yes.

true the first season had nothing to do with the sonic adventure games , but that is where the chaos and shadow sagas took place cause it did have some elements of their game counterparts.

Like I said before, 4Kids Ent. is now 4Licensing Corp., while its subsidiary, 4Kids Productions is now Konami's 4K Media. Vortexx is owned by Saban Brands, which now also owns the Sonic X U.S. dub.

Last edited by R. Glover on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:34 am; edited 4 times in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:05 am Reply with quote
but that still doesnt change the fact that this new series might be DOA ( DEAD ON ARRIVAL )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:19 am Reply with quote
I would rather not see the show as a pure comedy. Dramatic plot elements mixed with clever attitude quips from Sonic is what makes the current Archie series comics so good. Flynn is a masterful writer at this stuff and I say let him do the writing for the new show.

I'm still feeling the scars from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Sure the show had Jaleel White back as Sonic but to put him in a Tex Avery style world just didn't feel right.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:44 am Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
Looneygamemaster wrote:
BonusStage wrote:

Sonic X was pretty much the only Sonic show that actually tried and had a plot and stuff.. and the music was great, the OPs EDs and BGM too. This just looks like more CG garbage and Knuckles design looks weird Sad Plus it just says its a comedy series rather than an action plot focused one.. America can't do plot shows very well though I guess and censorship kinda hurt action shows so I guess it's the best they could do.

SOOO WRONG. Sonic X is NOT the only show that tried, nor is it the only one that had a plot. SATAM, had a plot and "tried" a lot harder then the garbage Sonic X Turned out to be overall, hell even Underground had a plot, it was a meh show, but it had a plot, and give me those annoying lazy sonic sibling recolors over chris thorndyke anyday. AOSTH while not heavy in plot was a nice shout out to classical cartooning.

Anywho I have faith this show will be mildly entertaining, nothing great, but perhaps a fun way to kill 11 minutes. Sad Knuckles looks like he's on steroids, but other then that i'm excited.

If its just a CGI AOSTH with a Dash of Satam & SU thats fine. As long as its better overall then Underground & X, i'll be satisfied.

On a personal note though a continuation of Satam or the OVA cannon would have been more enticing.

Also fun note I know for a fact Dave Polsky *MLP:FIM, South Park* Will be writing for the show as well. So be looking forward to seeing how his episodes turn out.
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
I was slightly interested till they mentioned it would be CG. Not to say it'll be bad, but do prefer cartoon animation to CG animation. Still feeling the scars of Disney abandoning their traditional animated films.

Think people forget this will be targeted for kids of today, not the hardcore Sonic fan. If you want to watch it, that's fine but don't expect Sally to show up and continue off the cliffhanger that good cartoon had. Still, there could be story adaptations of games (Like the Adventure games in X) if you're lucky...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3