• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokemon Kicks Off 10th Anniversary

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:27 pm Reply with quote
The Seventh Son wrote:
10 F***ING YEARS!? its been that long? it just won't die, will it? sure, there are anime series that have been around longer, but theyre at least GOOD. It may be considered anime, but its the bastard child of the anime industry, right up there with other card game animes. all it is is a massive corporate sceme set up by Nintendo that takes the form of an anime. it set up the road for many other animes to be used as cash cows, and has, along with DBZ, given anime a bad name, labling it as "that pokemon, yugioh and DBZ shit". the man who came up with pokemon deserves some sort of intense punishment. me and over 99% of the worldwide anime fanbase wants it to die. personally, i just wish it was never spawned.

Why would it die? I'm starting to get annoyed by people who have the belief that it's always been just a "fad" and would die out after 2 or 3 years. The phenomenon is gone, but it's just as much a Nintendo icon as Mario and Zelda are.
CanSomebodySayMedic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote
[Vastly unacceptable grammar & spelling. Improve before you continue to post here. -Nagi]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Tear Moore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm starting to get annoyed by people who have the belief that it's always been just a "fad" and would die out after 2 or 3 years.

Yeah, I am as well. Whenever I tell someone about the tenth anniversary special coming up, they immediately get annoyed by the fact that it's still continuing.

When I was about nine or so, I specifically remember my dad telling me that the show probably would not last for another year or two. Then, the next season would come around, and he would repeatedly say the same thing every time it was mentioned, basically.

Well, it hasn't died. (Although it has, sadly, gotten much worse.)

Cheers to my father being wrong; long live Pokemon. Anime smile

..And you know, I'm sure that not 99% of the anime fans or whatever want Pokemon to "die." It's not Pokemon's fault that anime has taken a turn, it's just how the general population is introduced to it. Pokemon is the one everyone remembers, and since the "fad" died out several years ago, people just assume that all anime deserves the same fate. I believe if Satoshi Tajiri had indeed not created Pokemon, the anime brought to America wouldn't be perceived any different, necessarily. It's just a matter of who got here first, so to speak.

And I truly am sorry if you think Pokemon is the cause for everyone to hate anime or something. But really, I don't mean to offend you, but at least try to get over it, please. Anime dazed
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Knowing that this show is still very popular in Japan, even over the king of the card games, Yugioh, means that it still has a strong following in the country of its origin. And because of that, it, with Yugioh have become billion dollar franchises. And they won't stop, unless they make a wrong move or something happens to make people stop supporting these franchises over night. Even if there is a decline it would still take a good five years to shut them down, I would think. Although there is a one franchise that has been shut down over here (Star Trek).
Pokemon paved the way to make anime more out there to people over here, it might not be one we appreciate now, but I'm sure more people can identify the word "anime" now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2