• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone bothered by incestuous relationships in some anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Namie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, it does give an anime storyline a certain edge and we are usually fascinated by taboo issues etc. Yes, ‘forbidden love’ does have an alluring factor, which makes an anime so much appealing. (due to its complexity) However, I still find it a little disturbing. I may not be a religious person and I definitely approve of homosexuality and such. But incestuous relationships do have a profound effect on my perspectives. I don’t really mind if it occurs between cousins… but if it involves a brother and a sister or a parent and a child, I think we’re dealing with more of an ethical issue here… Nevertheless, I’m aware that it is only fictitious (I hope Razz ) and I know anime is meant to defy reality at some point.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:07 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
A study (Weisfeld GE, Czilli T, Phillips KA, Gall JA, Lichtman CM. Possible olfaction-based mechanisms in human kin recognition and inbreeding avoidance. J Exp Child Psychol. 2003 Jul;85(3):279-95) has shown that pheromones may play a role.

Weisfeld GE, Czilli T, Phillips KA, Gall JA and Lichtman CM wrote:
In Study III, mutual olfactory aversion occurred only in the father-daughter and brother-sister nuclear family relationships. Recognition occurred between opposite-sex siblings but not same-sex siblings. Thus, olfaction may help mediate the development of incest avoidance during childhood (the Westermarck effect).

Interesting that the Oedipal mother-son relationship didn't show aversion. If Westermarck's theory is true and this is the underlying cause, then it would need to be a learned response, and thus distinct from the unlearned pheromonal sex responses.

dormcat wrote:
A very new hypothesis (Denic S, Nicholls MG. Incestuous gene in consanguinophilia and incest: Toward a consilience theory of incest taboo. Med Hypotheses. 2006;66(1):52-8) has linked it with malaria.

Denic S and Nicholls MG wrote:
We propose that the incestuous anti-w allele was co-selected with some of the genes protective against malaria because anti-w facilitates mating between genetically close individuals whose offspring better survive malaria.

I guess that would fit in quite well with the ancient Egyptians then, if the benefit of passing on resistance to malaria outweighed the usual problems with inbreeding.

dormcat wrote:
Ever heard ancient Egypt? See the discussion between angel_lover and abunai, two of the smartest ANNers.
Embarassed

Last edited by angel_lover on Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
daxomni

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Well, what do you think about it? When posting an opinion question like this to open a thread, it's suggested that you accompany it with your own take on the matter. It provides a little more to discuss later on.

Well, what do YOU think about it, Nagisa?

Personally, while kissing cousins and sibling incest isn't appealing to me in real life, it doesn't really bother me in anime. Parent-child incest is bit more disturbing though, regardless if it's consensual or not, and I'm rather surprised how common it appears as comical innuendo in mainstream anime series. I guess it's just a culture thing. Over in Japan they must not see it as nearly as taboo as some Western cultures do.

I'm curious if anyone thinks that watching anime might eventually desensitize you to otherwise taboo concepts like incest? On most internet forums (even those hosed outside of North America) you almost never see anyone who proudly refers to themselves as a rape fan, scat addict, or loli-lover, but on some anime forums such posts seem surprisingly common.

I don't know if anime just helps people who were already fans to simply open up about their previously held views, or if anime actually changes people over time until they don't see things the same way they once did. Any thoughts?
Iemander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think pretty much all taboos are bad and unnatural. Attraction between sexes is still afterall instinctive and perfectly natural.

For anyone who has read Dune, this might describe it best, we don't live like mentats or Bene Gesserits, we're still flawed "animals" with instincts. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
I don't know if anime just helps people who were already fans to simply open up about their previously held views, or if anime actually changes people over time until they don't see things the same way they once did. Any thoughts?

Interesting, how about starting up another thread for that?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:31 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:

So just because I don't feel like putting in my own reply, I'm not allowed to do my job and moderate the thread? Hm...nope, doesn't work that way. I'd curb that attitude of yours next time, if I were you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
shikatamasu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I am one who is not bothered too much with an anime that does portray an incestuous realtionship. As many here in this thread have stated, these are stories, fiction. But acts of incest do happen in the real world, and questioning the morality of that isn't for me to decide. Frankly, I wouldn't want the job. One series I have seen spoiler[that suggests incest between brother and sister] is Hitsuji no Uta. I felt it really hightened the suspense and moody darkness of this story. Another example was in Texhnolyze, which when I realized what was going on..well it squicked me a bit Embarassed, but again it just added one more layer to a plot IMO of a society falling apart at its seams.
Iemander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
daxomni wrote:

So just because I don't feel like putting in my own reply, I'm not allowed to do my job and moderate the thread? Hm...nope, doesn't work that way. I'd curb that attitude of yours next time, if I were you.

It would be kind of odd if the moderators weren't above the rules. I can already imagine them replying to every locked thread on subject for a few paragraphs.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:36 pm Reply with quote
The cousin thing doesn't really bother me but the sibbling romance concept would probabally be a little creepy. Having grown up with two older sisters, I find the subject matter disturbing. I wouldn't be above watching an anime with those elements, however, as I must admit the underlying concept peaks my curiousity, scientifically speaking of course. Kind of like watching a train wreck, as I don't think either of the two involved in such a storyline would end up "happily ever after," barring a revelation of them not being blood related.

Along those lines I remember reading "Anime Explosion" by Patrick Drazen, which addresses the issue somewhat in it's explanation of Cream Lemon-The Ami Nanomura Story which is a hentai title. The synopsis while sounding interesting would be way to wierd for me, spoiler[however, Ami and her brother turn out to be unrelated by blood as they were kids from their parents previous mariages'.]

The book overall was really an interesting and informative read for a variety of cultural issues and standards in Japan. I suggest picking it up if you want to read what it says about the title I mentioned, as due to the subject matter and the length of the article in the book I won't type it out.
Namie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:48 pm Reply with quote
[quote="daxomni"]
Nagisa wrote:

Yep, it'll be great if we can open up another thread on this! Very Happy
Haha, Haha, anyway, I did recall viewing some ‘dark’ scenes in Texhnolyze and it pretty much left a vile taste in my mouth and sets me wondering: Are those scenes depicting true events in our lives? Maybe it’s not a really big deal in some cultures but some of us are still uncomfortable with the thoughts of, let’s say, a sexual relationship between a mother and her child (which happens to be a true event, no wait, make that two! In both cases, the husband was out of the picture, and the mother was left with her only child). So maybe, it actually boils down to one main thing, our ‘animal instincts’. Or are there other external factors that encouraged people to commit such acts? Haha, I don’t think it’s up to me to decide what is morally right too… but I’ll have to say, constant exposure to certain taboo issues might cause people to view things in a different light and probably, starts to accept and treat them as a norm. Cool
CyberViper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Nah, it doesn't bother me.
First cause it's animated. Second because it really does happen.
Berselius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Incest does not bother me in anime. As many users have already poited out, it can serve as a plot device or that extra bit of drama to make the show more...dramatic. Razz

In reality I am a bit more cautious about my thoughts about incest, but overall i feel the same as in anime. As long as there is a mutual consent among the two parties it doesnt seem like that much of a bg deal. The only real problem i can think of off the top of my head is that the genetics between the two parties can potentially screw up the child (should they conceive) pretty bad. Even that can be solved through a semen donation. All in all, it just doesn't seem to be a topic of much concern for me. As long as others are not hurt in the process, I don't see the problem with siblings or cousins making love together.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:30 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
daxomni wrote:

Wow, you're really reading far too much into my words here.

First, even though you took offense to my comment, I actually did want to know what you thought about the thread. Maybe you've already heard and commented on just about every anime topic there is, but I've yet to read it.

Second, I'm not some little kid, so I would greatly appreciate it if you would stop talking to me like that. IMO, your response was rather abrasive and I don't think my post has given you any serious justification for treating me in this way. Next time, instead of assuming that my comments are some sort of vague attack on your moderating skills, just go with the flow and maybe give me the benefit of the doubt instead.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:50 am Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
I guess that would fit in quite well with the ancient Egyptians then, if the benefit of passing on resistance to malaria outweighed the usual problems with inbreeding.

This goes to your old discussion: was inbreeding common for all folks in ancient Egypt or restricted within royal families just for keeping their sacred bloodline? To answer this question we've got to know the epidemics of malaria in ancient Egypt. We definitely need someone who has majored medical history.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:18 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

This goes to your old discussion: was inbreeding common for all folks in ancient Egypt or restricted within royal families just for keeping their sacred bloodline? To answer this question we've got to know the epidemics of malaria in ancient Egypt. We definitely need someone who has majored medical history.

i wonder if it's tradition because of their gods intermarrying too (i.e. Osiris)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5