• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sorry for being a noob but.. [What is Ghost in the Shell]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
momalyd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:40 am Reply with quote
as for what order in GITS i cant remember if they formed section 9 in the 1st GITS movie or if they had already started it. but in the manga (which is amazing) the major was in some police unit and after the assassination in the opening scene of the movie she was fired and then she was put in the newly formed section 9. from that point on everything that happens in the TV series 2 season fit in to this time frame up to the point when she gets her Head blown off at the end of the 1st movie. then the 2nd movie is a direct follow up in the time line

mmmmm...complicated
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:01 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
ChrisC wrote:
And what is cyber-punk?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk

Wikipedia covers the basics, but for real insight into cyberpunk theory (both the postmodern movement in the 80s and the film genre) there are a few key texts/films. Donna Haraway's paper A Manifesto for Cyborgs is THE academic text to read for those with an interest in cyberpunk. Also read Technologies of the Gendered Body: Reading Cyborg Women by Anne Balsamo and Terminal Identity by Scott Bukatman for more information on cyberpunk theory (be forewarned; the latter text is extremely dense and hard to get through for casual readers.) Also, Storming the Reality Studio: A Casebook of Cyberpunk and Postmodern Science Fiction, edited by Larry McCaffery and The Uncanny: Experiments in Cyborg Culture, edited by Bruce Grenville are both great collections of essays, short stories, and art dedicated to cyberpunk. The Uncanny is a personal favorite of mine, and contains some very interesting theory.
As far as fiction goes, Neuromancer by William Gibson is the key cyberpunk novel. Schismatrix by Bruce Sterling is another big one. Aslo read works by Isaac Asimov (I, Robot, etc), who was an important precursor to cyperpunk.
As far as films go, Blade Runner is the essential cyberpunk film. Also check out director David Cronenberg's work (Videodrome is his best, I think) to see other important cyberpunk films.
As for anime, Bubblegum Crisis and Ghost in the Shell are both classic cyberpunk. As for your inquiry into what part of the Ghost in the Shell franchise to watch first, here's my advice: skip the manga and the TV series altogether and watch the original 1995 feature film (NOT Innocence). It's by far the most well-made and intelligent of all GITS adaptations, including the original comic. (This is coming from a diehard cyberpunk fan.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fizz450_03

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:59 pm Reply with quote
OVA or the series? anyways it kicks a** and all, i sugest ya see it man... it's like so action packed man
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lapsus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As for your inquiry into what part of the Ghost in the Shell franchise to watch first, here's my advice: skip the manga and the TV series altogether and watch the original 1995 feature film (NOT Innocence). It's by far the most well-made and intelligent of all GITS adaptations, including the original comic. (This is coming from a diehard cyberpunk fan.)

I absolutely agree to this: Skip the series and Get to see the first movie - Ghost in the Shell.
Dunno about how it explains the GitS world, but the plot is awesome, as well as the characters and animation.
Absolute classics, that I am sure of, a Must see for most Anime fans.

""--One thing I heard.. GitS was on the National Geographics once and explained womens place in the world, passed through films and Anime.I didn't like what they interpreted it like.--""

Anyhow.. GitS is good, just Watch it, and dont get a virus by the phone Twisted Evil

And NO Noobing, everybody starts off not knowing everything.. Wink
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:41 am Reply with quote
DELETED.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:54 am Reply with quote
It says in the encylopedia that they were both adapted from the manga. I can't say anymore though, I only saw the first movie and I never saw the TV series or read the manga. Apparently I'm not missing anything that great according to some of the people in this thread though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2