• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Takehiko Inoue plagiarism?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milcor1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
milcor1 wrote:

Of course he didn't put a piece of paper over the image. I think that would be even less effective than looking at it and copying it because he knows his human anatomy etc, he wouldn't need to do that. What I'm saying is that even though he might be trying to reference a position there is no need for the characters to be facing the same way as the source pic. What do you mean there's not a whole lot of BBall in Japan? High schools play basketball, there are playground hoops in Japan, cable networks that show the NBA, etc etc. If you've read Real, you know that basketball is alive and well in Japan, and he created that manga too. There being not a whole lot of basketball in Japan is totally preposterous.

Takehiko said in the slam dunk manga, that basketball wasn't popular in japan during the time he created Slam Dunk. Also you won't find professional bball teams or college bball like we have here in the U.S, that's why BBALL isn't as big in japan as it is here in the U.S. Also in on Takehiko's site, there was a special event that promote bball. Sure there was basketball at high school (I'm not even sure if the student know how to play it well) and nba on "cable" tv, but unless you have actual poses to use as reference, you're not gonna make a good bball manga. Imagine yourself trying to draw a kendo manga. Sure they might offer Kendo at your high school or you can watch japanese kendo tournament on "cable" if you have it, but I'm sure you want to see some picture as reference to make authentic kendo manga.

Ugh, but even if it might be harder to create a basketball manga without still references, it doesn't mean the panel has to look almost EXACTLY the same as the source. There are hockey mangas out there, american football mangas out there, sports that are even less known than basketball in Japan. Are you going to say that they probably have had to use still references as well and thus also have made almost exact same duplicates? Then maybe all sports mangas in Japan are plagiarized! Because God knows an artist doesn't know how to draw even if he's seen the fundamentals of the sport. But seriously, there is no need for Takehiko Sensei to have had to make his drawings almost the exact same as his source.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:39 pm Reply with quote
mugengaia wrote:

The thing is...it really doesn't matter if it's plagiarism or reference.

The law goes against his work and he's got the law to deal with soon...which really sux for him.

Wait, what law are you talking about? There's a law that said you can't copy a pose from a picture?

Ai Yazawa

Swipe of the week has tons of stuff too from comic artist.

more and more. There are tons out there.

milcor1 wrote:

Ugh, but even if it might be harder to create a basketball manga without still references, it doesn't mean the panel has to look almost EXACTLY the same as the source. There are hockey mangas out there, american football mangas out there, sports that are even less known than basketball in Japan. Are you going to say that they probably have had to use still references as well and thus also have made almost exact same duplicates? Then maybe all sports mangas in Japan are plagiarized! Because God knows an artist doesn't know how to draw even if he's seen the fundamentals of the sport. But seriously, there is no need for Takehiko Sensei to have had to make his drawings almost the exact same as his source.

LOL , thans for blowing things out of proportion, because I said Inoue use the pose as reference, because he draw a lot of baskeball scene in Slam Dunk. Not all sport manga copy panal for panal, post for post. The point of reference is to rely on the structure, such as using a quote for reference. Also are you sure all the basketball scene in Slam dunk are model off picture or just a handful of them?

And well let just say that eyeshield isn't an accurate portray of the football here it the states. The model itself rely more on cartoon than realism. Sure eyeshield is about football, but like NBA street for the PS2 it's more on the cartoony side, Eyeshield doesn't really have to worry about plagerism unless someone just find a bunch of football picture (there are thousand out there) and try to match it up to the panal

Last edited by darkhunter on Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:51 pm; edited 5 times in total
mugengaia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
mugengaia wrote:

The law goes against his work and he's got the law to deal with soon...which really sux for him.

Wait, what law are you talking about? There's a law that said you can't copy a pose from a picture?

Ai Yazawa

milcor1 wrote:

LOL , thans for blowing things out of proportion, because I said Inoue use the post as reference, not all sport manga copy panal for panal. Also are you sure all the basketball scene in Slam dunk are model off picture or just a handful of them?

Well let just say that eyeshield isn't an accurate portray of the football here it the states. The model itself rely more on cartoon than realism. Sure eyeshield is about football, but like NBA street for the PS2 it's more on the cartoony side.

Yes there is a law.

You can't distribute or sell and make profit from copying images from other people work without their consent.

You do know this is what plagiarism stands for in the court.

It's like you copying the NBA playoffs from 1993 in VHS, and selling a ton of them to people and making money, when you don't have the NBA's consent.

Thats what a copyright law is man.

Are you not getting the picture?

He sold millions of copies of Slam Dunk. He's done it without the consent of those each and individual photographers.

You know as ridiculous as it may sound to you. It's exactly like gold-diggers taking money after divorce, if you're stupid enough not to get a maritial whatever it's called.

If any of those original photographers decides to sue Takehiko Inoue.

He may have to pay thousands in fines, or even certain percentage of all sales shueisha made.

Last edited by mugengaia on Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
milcor1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
mugengaia wrote:

Ai Yazawa

milcor1 wrote:

LOL , thans for blowing things out of proportion, because I said Inoue use the post as reference, not all sport manga copy panal for panal. Also are you sure all the basketball scene in Slam dunk are model off picture or just a handful of them?

Well let just say that eyeshield isn't an accurate portray of the football here it the states. The model itself rely more on cartoon than realism. Sure eyeshield is about football, but like NBA street for the PS2 it's more on the cartoony side.

But the point is that it seems Takehiko Sensei has been using lots and lots of panels as almost direct copies of NBA pictures. As I said before if it were only those 5 I saw in the original pic then it wouldn't be such a huge deal, but as more and more supposed "references" are being found, well then you can't just call them "references" anymore.

Also American views towards swiping are totally different from Japanese views. While people here might not care as much, it's a huge deal in Japan in terms of artistic integrity.

http://www.ninthart.com/display.php?article=1115
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:56 pm Reply with quote
mugengaia wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
mugengaia wrote:

Ai Yazawa

milcor1 wrote:

Yes there is a law.

You can't distribute or sell and make profit from copying images from other people work without their consent.

It's like you copying the NBA playoffs from 1993 in VHS, and selling a ton of them to people and making money, when you don't have the NBA's consent.

He sold millions of copies of Slam Dunk. He's done it without the consent of those each and individual photographers.

You know as ridiculous as it may sound to you. It's exactly like gold-diggers taking money after divorce, if you're stupid enough not to get a maritial whatever it's called.

He may have to pay thousands in fines, or even certain percentage of all sales shueisha made.

Except he's not using the actual image/property and using the pose. I don't know if you can copyright a pose. It might be plagerism but I don't know if it will stand in court, simply because it can pass as reference.
mugengaia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:05 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
mugengaia wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
mugengaia wrote:

Ai Yazawa

milcor1 wrote:

Yes there is a law.

Except he's not using the actual image/property and using the pose. I don't know if you can copyright a pose. It might be plagerism but I don't know if it will stand in court, simply because it can pass as reference.

Anyways...whatever happens...The articles I've read say the photographic copyright commity or whatever, I don't know the exact translation is appareantly going to do something.

And the articles also mentions that, the commity said, copying images in such similar proportions and selling them are basically illegal.
mugengaia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Another thing...if his manga didn't even sell all this wouldn't even take place.

It's because he's made so much money, and that's why all them people are making such a hysteria.

I couldn't really care about the Legal issues.

What I'm more concerned is, as an artist, a manga artist. He has dissappointed many who looked upon him as influence. Add to that all his reputation of getting such great composition and realism in his work are debatable now.

I can draw exactly like Takehiko Inoue, Satoshi Shiki, or Yang Gul-Il.

But it doesn't matter if I can draw like them. That's not original.

What makes manga so special is even if they may look the same from distance.

You look at each artist's work and they look alittle different with many styles.

If you still don't get it. Look at it this way. It doesn't matter if Bball wasn't big at the time in Japan.

All the other artists' believed that Takehiko Inoue from his ingenious mind drew all the different composures of characters in movement and etc.

Making a referece by relying the physics and body structure is totally different from copying the exact motion in art.

I don't know if you've taken art at higher or competitive level. But It doesn't matter how well you draw. If you don't have originality and creativity, you won't survive in this field.
milcor1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:24 pm Reply with quote
mugengaia wrote:
Another thing...if his manga didn't even sell all this wouldn't even take place.

It's because he's made so much money, and that's why all them people are making such a hysteria.

I couldn't really care about the Legal issues.

What I'm more concerned is, as an artist, a manga artist. He has dissappointed many who looked upon him as influence. Add to that all his reputation of getting such great composition and realism in his work are debatable now.

I can draw exactly like Takehiko Inoue, Satoshi Shiki, or Yang Gul-Il.

But it doesn't matter if I can draw like them. That's not original.

What makes manga so special is even if they may look the same from distance.

You look at each artist's work and they look alittle different with many styles.

If you still don't get it. Look at it this way. It doesn't matter if Bball wasn't big at the time in Japan.

All the other artists' believed that Takehiko Inoue from his ingenious mind drew all the different composures of characters in movement and etc.

Making a referece by relying the physics and body structure is totally different from copying the exact motion in art.

I don't know if you've taken art at higher or competitive level. But It doesn't matter how well you draw. If you don't have originality and creativity, you won't survive in this field.

Well, that's sort of debatable. I mean, he wasn't copying stories and characters or anything. The plagiarism it seems were just basically basketball poses, which hardly have any effect on a reader's overall impression of the manga because Takehiko Sensei knows how to create a manga. Even if he copied panels here and there, there are so many chapters he's done that are completely original and retain that incredible detail and realism. He didn't copy the pictures because he didn't know how to draw or anything, since he can draw incredibly well and tell and a great story when he wants to, so I'm guessing there were reasons other than not knowing how to draw basketball that made him do this. My guess is the crazy schedules Jump puts on their mangakas because a huge reason of why Takehiko Sensei ended Slam Dunk was because he was exhausted from the weekly deadlines. Still dissapointing.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:41 pm Reply with quote
This isn't a big deal. Tons of artists use pictures as references for their panels, some even shooting photographs for every panel. While he technically was at fault for not getting permission from the players/NBA, it's not something that affects his integrity seeing that so many other people do it.
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote
This entire situation seems to be a very grey area to me. Yes, it is obvious that Takehiko Inoue used a large number of NBA photographs in order to get poses and even scene compositions at times for Slam Dunk. However, I would like to point out that thousands of artists use photographic or live reference in order to make their work more believable.

I believe the problems really surround the fact that instead of taking his own photographs or using stock photography, Takehiko Inoue gathered a collection of photographs taken at NBA games. These photographs, taken for use in magazines, newspapers, and on game cards, are generally not going to be found in stock galleries. However, his characters are not direct representations of the players and other people in the photographs.

I think it is doubtful that any of the individual photographers are going to sue--or even think about suing--because some of their photographs were used as stock and reference by a Japanese mangaka creating a manga about basketball in order to make things look more realistic.

Of course, I do not know all the complex ins and outs of American copyright law, let alone international or Japanese copyright laws. Quite frankly, a lot of the things that do get thrown around on the subject of copyright law seem downright illogical and asinine to me, but someone cared enough to make it part of the law. As it stands, I don't see how the fact that Takehiko Inoue used reference photographs really hurts the profits of anyone, and I think that people are blowing the whole thing out of proportion.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2