• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Violent death scenes.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote
This is more in the "disturbing" category, but one violent death I particularly remember is from Blue Gender: spoiler[the death of this one female tank operator in an early episode. The death itself isn't particularly gruesome - the tank gets flipped over, she screams as she tumbles before her neck gets snapped - but the way it's done is just so visceral and realistic. ] It's a "woh!" moment.

Last edited by Guardsman Bass on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Lol... There's quite of some of my personal favorites. Wink

Baccano: Why don't we just say the entire series is a montage of violent death scenes? Anime hyper But really, anytime spoiler[Claire and a mook/obstacle are present in the same room, you can expect a pretty gruesome end to the latter.]

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood: Two deaths come to mind. spoiler[The first is when Mustang deep-fries Lust about a dozen times. Her constant screaming certainly added to the effect. Then of course, we had Kimblee's death, which honestly, was a bit too gruesome and uncool for a dandy badass like him.]

Black Lagoon: Like Baccano, this one is fairly full of them, but spoiler[Chaka's death tops the list - the way Ginji first chops off his hands, then dunks him in the pool and drowns him.]

Death Note: The heart-attacks are portrayed in a...rather extreme fashion in this series. I've seen plenty of people get heart-attacks, and it isn't nearly as violent as in here.

Afro Samurai: The whole series. The end.

Hellsing Ultimate: Alucard has a penchant for going overkill x100, but the way he ends spoiler[Rip van Winkle is practically stomach-churning.]

Berserk: Again, most of the series is high up in the list, but props go to the climax when spoiler[Griffith ends up offing most of the Band of the Hawk, then raping Casca.]

Basilisk: Everyone lol.

Anyways, these are really just a few that come off the top of my head...
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Nice Black Lagoon references. Reminds me of another one from the series.

Thinking back on previous posts about the shock value of the death involving a child, what about the death of Hansel?

When he/she tries to kill Balalaika at the fountain, and she has her sniper blow off his limbs one by one, and then she mocks his dying corpse while puffing on a cigar?

If she went and picked up the severed limbs and drank the blood, it's be right up there with the OP's example for a properly gruesome death.

(As long as I'm remembering it right.)

BTW, nice touch putting the deaths in spoilers. Especially since your list is citing shows that are current/popular.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Nice Black Lagoon references. Reminds me of another one from the series.

Thinking back on previous posts about the shock value of the death involving a child, what about the death of Hansel?

When he/she tries to kill Balalaika at the fountain, and she has her sniper blow off his limbs one by one, and then she mocks his dying corpse while puffing on a cigar?

If she went and picked up the severed limbs and drank the blood, it's be right up there with the OP's example for a properly gruesome death.

(As long as I'm remembering it right.)

BTW, nice touch putting the deaths in spoilers. Especially since your list is citing shows that are current/popular.

Damn, I did forget about Hansel. That one even gave the hardened Boris a chill in the spine.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:23 pm Reply with quote
While not particularly gory, spoiler[Mami's death] in Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica was pretty disturbing I thought.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Gantz would be in the top definitely... So many brutal deaths (including people getting cut in half by lasers, having their head blown out, dissolved by acids) and blood. Probably the goriest thing I have seen so far.
ThePoliced

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, since i'm that cool, i wanna point out that little scene from, yes, Evangelion, where the freaking EVA01 goes berserk and spoiler[starts eating the freaking angel to regenerate itself, i tell ya, i was in freaking awe when i saw it for the first time] Freaking cool, man.

And I've seen some videos of a show called Return of the Overfiend, think 90s monsters with tentacles literally grinding human flesh.

And in Akira, whenspoiler[The biker in the beginning gets a metal tube straight to his face, i remember that from the trailer, it really got my attention]

Funny, anime in the last 5 years haven't been scary or gory at all.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Every two seconds from Shiki episode 18 onwards. In my opinion the highlight of the series was when one of the main characters had their head run over by a tractor and continued to wiggle their legs until their heart was staked.

But a special mention goes to a doctor performing an autopsy on his wife around the half-way point. While she was alive. And screaming for him to stop (though he promptly duct taped her mouth shut). The thought of having my brain squeezed out of my nose and ears while I'm fully conscious makes me queezy. And by the person I thought I loved? Even worse.

(He also injects a lethal cocktail into her bloodstream, cuts all of her main arteries with scissors, gives her these awful bubbling blisters, and hacks at her heart until her blood flies all over the room and she finally dies).
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
Shigurui has a nice messy number of scenes from feudal-era swordsmen slaying one another in battle. Disfigurement, decapitation, limb severing and disembowelment happen quite frequently throughout the series. A couple examples of messy scenes: spoiler[first episode features a servant graphically committing harakiri and tearing out his own intestines] and spoiler[a later episode features one of the samurai from the Kogan dojo tearing out the eyeball of a swordsman he just killed and eating it whole.]

Kara no Kyoukai also has its messy moments compliments of the mentally disturbed serial killers Shiki comes across in several of the movies. For example, spoiler[a schoolgirl in the third movie kills her victims by making use of a psychic ability to twist the bodies of her victims until they are nothing but a gory mess] and spoiler[a former classmate of Shiki and Mikiya in the seventh movie who on top of viciously murdering his victims, also eats their insides.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2