• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Horrible Anime Dub Opening Songs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote
The English Card Captors OP is just made even worse by how amazing the original OP was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDBSV8DL1lU

Its probably my favorite OP of the 90s.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
So if you count wolf girls like Holo, there are quite a few.

LOL!

This is the funniest thing I've read all week!

Holo the Werewolf!
Very Happy
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
I'll admit that the MKR songs have a special place in my heart, but they are terrible. I feel the same way about the El Hazard and Pretty Sammy dub endings. But the English market doesn't have the only godawful dub songs out there - I have a very funny (and terrible) CD of Italian dub music, featuring such hits as "Sailor Moon, La Luna Splendid" and the stellar theme to "Captain Tsubasa," which has lines like "Che campione Holly e Benji, campionissimi!" (Which roughly translates to "Holly and Benji are championy champs!")
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
The English Card Captors OP is just made even worse by how amazing the original OP was.

Wow. See, this is what a comparison video does. It makes the list's point of view more accurate.

Yes, the dubbed version of CCS is horrendous compared to the original.
Anime hyper
Magna_Lilly

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote
Hahaha so glad to see the Magic Knights opening as number one worst. The song itself wasn't horrible or anything, but my gosh, that singer makes my ears bleed.
I never watched Ouran dubbed, but watching the opening... really sounds like one of those fandubs you'd find on Youtube. Just not good quality.
I'd say I like the Monster Rancher opening a lot, but I know that is the nostalgia talking Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:50 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
So if you count wolf girls like Holo, there are quite a few.

LOL!

This is the funniest thing I've read all week!

Holo the Werewolf!
Very Happy

What? With a broad definition, she certainly is. As are the children from Wolf Children. Unless it's being defined as "has no control in transformation, driven by the moon" and all of the other mythological trappings, anything that can turn into a wolf and back should count.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
takachsh wrote:
Not to be annoyed but I have to disagree with this article a bit. The openings for Escaflowne, Monster Rancher and Cardcaptors were awesome sauce. Nothing will change my mind to that, since if thats what you grew up with your gona always love them.

Ah... nostalgia... what a cruel mistress.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
What? With a broad definition, she certainly is.

I'm going to go out on a limb here to say you or Ryan haven't seen the show, because if you had, you'd realize Holo is forcing herself into a human form, not the other way around.

She even mentions the form is difficult to get used to in the very first episode of the first season.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
I used to watch Ronin Warriors when I was younger. I never remembered the name until this list. Thank you. Anime hyper
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDBSV8DL1lU

Its probably my favorite OP of the 90s.

How amazing all three of the original OPs were, you mean. That Cardcaptor's OP replaced all of them, right? That makes it three times as worse.

Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
What? With a broad definition, she certainly is.

I'm going to go out on a limb here to say you or Ryan haven't seen the show, because if you had, you'd realize Holo is forcing herself into a human form, not the other way around.

She even mentions the form is difficult to get used to in the very first episode of the first season.

I have seen it. I'll call her a werewolf, you are free to explode.
Sakura-Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote
I don't have any MKR nostalgia since I had never seen it, but the OP singing isn't that bad. It doesn't sound any worse than some of the Japanese ops with girls trying to fake a high pitched voice. but I also haven't seen the original so maybe it was really bad in comparison.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quote
takachsh wrote:
Not to be annoyed but I have to disagree with this article a bit. The openings for Escaflowne, Monster Rancher and Cardcaptors were awesome sauce. Nothing will change my mind to that, since if thats what you grew up with your gona always love them.

Well even if you grow up with them, they can still be bad, and you can always hear them later on. Have you even heard the originals at all to compare?? That's the important question.

I mean, "Digimon, Digital Monsters" (which wasn't even added) or Butter-fly, Target, or
The Biggest Dreamer?

"Monsters rule!" or Close to Your Heart?

"Cardcaptors, a mystic adventure!" or Platinum?

Once I heard these, I ditched the "theme song MUST have the title of its show in its opening theme". The only one I must say that actually works, is the original Pokemon theme. Not that I don't like some of the original themes, but it just works, and actually holds up. Escaflowne's english isn't BAD with the techno beat, I must say, but it's no Maaya Sakamoto. Either way, ready to take those nostalgic goggles off?
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Well, you and Ryan are the only two I've ever seen to call Holo a werewolf.

I won't explode, but I will laugh at the very, very broad definition you two use to describe her.

It's good fun. Smile
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Ehhh. I don't like mixing "new compositions for a TV version" with "dubbed versions of already existing songs" in a list like this; I think both are their own beast that should be judged separately. Especially since dubbed versions compete more directly with the Japanese original than the new TV songs.

With that in mind, I don't think Ouran got the worst English version of a Japanese opening. I mean, it's pretty bored-sounding, but I think it pales in comparison to the Blue Water version of the Dragon Ball GT opening. Terrible lyrics. Completely off timing. Not a particularly great singer. I know some of you have a lot of nostalgia for it, but...yuck.

Speaking of Dragon Ball, Justin Cook's take on the Dragon Ball Kai opening is... weak. He is a fantastic voice actor, but his singing could be better (I also don't find Sean's version as good as people say, not to mention all that auto-tuning).

"Catch You Catch Me" had an English version (I think it aired in other countries; the English Cardcaptors opening was exclusive to North America, if I remember). It's...bad. The singer doesn't sound too bad, but the lyrics are ridiculous (and somehow Syaoran was snucked in them. Yeah.)

As for "original" compositions... well, I tend to hate them because they tend to sound so rushedly put together. Especially Saban. Mon Colle Knights, Shinzo, Transformers: Robots in Disguise, Dinozaurs...they don't sound exactly "bad", but so, so uninspired. God.

Pokémon openings are usually fine, but Pokémon Chronicles...if you watched it, you know what I'm talking about. "P-O-K-E-aymowen (POKAYMON!)". The Diamond and Pearl rap was also terrible, but at least it was short.

And let me just say something: since I'm not from the US, I have absolutely no nostalgia for most of these songs. As such, the worst English-original opening? Dragon Ball Z uncut. I'm sorry. I respect your opinion, but...you're wrong. This is terrible, and it goes for what looks like an eternity. Yikes.

(But just to show that I'm not as negative as I seem, I think Digimon Frontier's English opening is okay. Medabots opening is also fine, especially when compared to its incredibly annoying original opening).
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

Dig out your AD&D monster manuals; a wolf that becomes a human is a wolfwere. Smile But I'd just call her a youkai or kami, since she's Japanese style of wolf-human, and not the western one, despite everything around her being medieval-western.

Otherwise, we can count Inuyasha, since domestic dogs are descended from wolves. (Or if not, count Koga's clan in his show.) And any number of other wolf-youkai.

danilo07 wrote:
How many werewolves in anime are there?I only recall two of them,that dude from vampire Hunter D and one other from One Piece.But even they are not werewolves in classical meaning of that word.

For other "western/traditional" werewolves, there's Riza/Liza the half-werewolf in Princess Resurrection (and at least one of her full-werewolf relatives shows up as a monster-of-the-week). Akira & his clan in Dance in the Vampire Bund. Ginei in Rosario to Vampire.

Now, werewolves in good shows? I dunno. I think vampires are gonna win by sheer numbers, since practically all the werewolves we can think up are appearing in anime with "vampire" in the name of the show...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 17