• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime with disappointing endings?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:39 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
the ending to Noir. it just felt empty

well im guessing you were watching it Digisubbed rewatch the last ep with some headphones on or something it makes the final ending alot better

spoiler[

"she keeps the promise"

]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Magister_L wrote:
i thought Gasaraki had a horrible ending

Horrible, how do you figure? I actually thought it was pretty good. Suree it may seemed like a typical cookie cutter spoiler[all the good guys reunite at the end kind of deal,] but after NGE, Bebop, etc... it was kind of refreshing.
Julia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:18 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

NO!!! Don't say that, I'm just starting to get into the series. Oh well...

I have not watched a lot of anime, to be honest. Most of the stuff I've seen I have not reached the end of it. The shows that I have seen the ending to were fine, or in the case of Cowboy Bebop really good. Sad but good. But that's another topic completely, sorry about that.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Ferquin wrote:
Hmm... where can I get said manga? Is it available stateside?

If you were replying to me regarding 3X3 Eyes, you can read it almost-monthly in Super Manga Blast. There are also several trade paperbacks available.

------RM
sacchan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
Kare Kano is the first one that comes to mind, but I think that series started a decline in the second half...the ending just punctuated it with a loud *thump.*

I think that's because the manga Kare Kano isn't over yet (there's 15 tankoubons out and still going). The story switched from Yukino's story to Arima's story (his past and how it affected him) around vol.13. The anime didn't even finish the Yukino's half of the story. On top of that, the last few episodes of the anime had nothing to do with the original manga. I think that's why the ending sucked.
OneAnimeFan

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 2:50 am Reply with quote
Fruits Basket. I really liked the anime but the ending was kind of weak. They threw alot of dramatic stuff into the last few episodes so I couldn't wait to see episode 26 .spoiler[ I was really disappointed because it had an un ending. They did nothing to tie up all the loose ends in the plot & everyone lives happily ever after.] I expected so much more.....
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 10:37 am Reply with quote
I gotta say, I actually found the ending of Escaflowne refreshing-- truthful, poignant, honest... I mean, really, is she gonna want to live in a world totally seperate from her entire family for the rest of her life?? She's what, 16? Plus, I always keep in my mind that if she or Van wanted to, they can always come back to each other at a later point-- its all about the *desire* of ones wishes in Gaia, right?

As for Cowboy Bebop, I was really rather disappointed by the ending until I saw the movie. I felt it was so abrupt. However, with the movie functioning as a longer episode, you get some foreshadowing. Spike is dealing with the situation earlier on-- with the decisions he'll have to make to "wake up" and start living again-- and this lends some credence to what he does at the end of the series.... if you plug the movie into the chronology.

Also, I know this is about endings that sucked-- but there are some that are great... I found the original ending of Macross, when it was originally broadcast (before it became 36 episodes long) very effecting. Wonderful really, one of my favorites. I don't even watch the "extended" version anymore, just the original 25 episodes (In the "full" version, this ending occurs at the big battle, ep 27, as they added 2 of filler episodes earlier on, as well as the extra 9 at the end, which I find anti-climatic and maudlin)..

Anways, just wanted to point out that there are some endings that are great..... But yes, the endings are a typical anime problem. Look at all the sci-fi anime movies too....
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 8:21 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
v1cious wrote:

well im guessing you were watching it Digisubbed rewatch the last ep with some headphones on or something it makes the final ending alot better

i know what you're referring to, but it still doesn't make sense. why would she spoiler[ save her life just to kill her a few minutes later?]

sorry i just figured i'd add that since someone brought this topic back up.
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 3:33 am Reply with quote
I hated the DBZ ending. Now the anime producers knew that they were going into GT, but if this ending was a faithful translation of Toriyama's manga, who himself was retiring the series when he drew it, then he made a bad conclusion. Er, follow me here? Anyway, the anime was notorious for all this unnecessary filler, and yet the final episodespoiler[ just resolved itself so quickly, with little reaction from the characters and another unfinished tournament. ] Very disappointing.

BTW, does anyone find Miyazaki's movie endings a bit unsatisfying? Some of them seem kinda quick, particularly Kiki's.
Jadin

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:30 pm Reply with quote
A few come to mind that haven't been mentioned yet.

.hack//SIGN's ending. It just sort of......ended.

Witch Hunter Robin. I hated the ending. spoiler[I expected a bit more of a resolution. People with witches powers are being taken as soon as it is revealed that they have the powers now, not just when they use it for evil. There should have been some sort of liberation or something. Instead, they all die, and so does 2 main characters. Supposedly anyway.] They leave some room open for a sequel but I dunno.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 12:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah the .hack//sign just ended but remember its setting up the story for the games and OAV's
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
nancyn

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 2:06 am Reply with quote
OneAnimeFan wrote:
Fruits Basket. I really liked the anime but the ending was kind of weak. They threw alot of dramatic stuff into the last few episodes so I couldn't wait to see episode 26 . I was really disappointed because it had an un ending. They did nothing to tie up all the loose ends in the plot & everyone lives happily ever after. I expected so much more.....

Fruits Basket manga is still going on in Hana to Yume, so there isn't an ending so far. The creators of the anime knew from the start that it was a limited run--there's an interview on the first DVD (I think)with the director that talks about it. He also did Kodomo no omocha and I have to agree that I'd rather have a limited number of great episodes without a series ending rather than 100+ with so much filler it becomes a waste to watch....

The Kare Kano manga is complete (in Japanese) but the author wasn't happy with Gainax's interpretation in the anime and the network wasn't happy with it either.

Lots of (maybe most?) anime series tend to fall apart toward the end. It's really sad when the manga is really good--but at least there is another way to get the ending and the author's true intent.
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 2:25 am Reply with quote
[quote="nancyn"]
OneAnimeFan wrote:
Lots of (maybe most?) anime series tend to fall apart toward the end. It's really sad when the manga is really good--but at least there is another way to get the ending and the author's true intent.

My problem with some of the funnier anime is that they silly and hilarious for most of the series, but then when they get to the end they suddenly get intensely serious. I love Eva, but if there's one problem I have with it is that at the beginning the show was almost a comedy at times, and by the end it becomes quite the psychotic nightmare.

As for mangas, most writers never seem to want to end their series. Isn't Ah My Goddess still going? ^^
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 10:20 am Reply with quote
adding Silent Mobius to the list. the ending is so stupid.
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Sakura Diaries come to mind. Talk about a horrible ending.

spoiler[

The running plot has the main character Touma trying to pass his college exams, he has frequent nightmares about not passing throughout the series, and when the last episode comes, you don't learn if he passed or not!!
]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9