• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why are all anime characters so good looking?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:50 am Reply with quote
Must...resist...urge...to Link to...pictures of...the Zabi Family...

Ohoni wrote:
American tv is starting to make it a little too acceptible to be overweight.

Are we talking about the same America?
msi435

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:44 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

American tv is starting to make it a little too acceptible to be overweight. Presenting positive rolemodels is a good way to keep people in line.

The American TV I watch is trying to make fat people get skinny because obesity is a huge problem in America. I feel ashamed of my country because while other countries are having problems with aids or some or some type of famine, our problem is we are over indulgent fat slobs. It comes as no surprise we are the most hated country in the world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Joe Arizona

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:04 am Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
Ohoni wrote:

American tv is starting to make it a little too acceptible to be overweight. Presenting positive rolemodels is a good way to keep people in line.

The American TV I watch is trying to make fat people get skinny because obesity is a huge problem in America. I feel ashamed of my country because while other countries are having problems with aids or some or some type of famine, our problem is we are over indulgent fat slobs. It comes as no surprise we are the most hated country in the world.

Come on now, there's no need to bag on one's country, especially when the country in question has one the most efficient agricultural industries on Earth. Not to mention low food prices. We have all seen those ubiquitous bags of grain marked "USA" all around the globe, especially Africa and dare I say, North Korea. So we do share, quite a bit, actually. Avoiding famine has been one of the paramount goals of every human society. The fact that ours has largely avoided this menace, ( there are plenty of hungry Americans) should be a point of pride. Moderation, as always, is the key.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I came from a THIRD WORLD COUNTRY just quite recently...

and I have to tell you I am immensely satisfied living here... aside from the very nice anime selection I get to indulge in, I get to eat as much as I want without ever getting hungry...

the only real crime here is if you are NOT THANKFUL for what you have... which is usually the case, ever since I got here, it seems like people complain all the time, and I can't even begin to imagine why

so yeah, if other countries didn't like us, it's because of all the complaining... not because we over eat

but I dunno, I'm probably just delusional
CrimsonPh33r

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:55 pm Reply with quote
which country is this?
and yeah, it would be damn ugly to have fat bastards playing good roles. Imagine the next Gundam with a fat pilot.
"I cant fit in my gundam! ARGGG!"
DKL

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I came from the PHILIPPINES, it isn't exactly the happiest place on Earth... but then I have to consider myself fortunate since it's not like I lived in the MIDDLE EAST or anything...

what I want to say is, that now I have adapted to a somewhat higher standard of living, I feel that sometimes the Americans are just trying to find stuff to complain about... trust me, it is ALL good Shocked

but then the same should be said about me, I lived a somewhat prominent life there

even though the Philippines is like... one of the poorest countries, it's definately not the worst...

we're all guilty of something I guess...
smutchi

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Joe Arizona wrote:

Come on now, there's no need to bag on one's country, especially when the country in question has one the most efficient agricultural industries on Earth. Not to mention low food prices. We have all seen those ubiquitous bags of grain marked "USA" all around the globe, especially Africa and dare I say, North Korea. So we do share, quite a bit, actually. Avoiding famine has been one of the paramount goals of every human society. The fact that ours has largely avoided this menace, ( there are plenty of hungry Americans) should be a point of pride. Moderation, as always, is the key.

Sorry, but I have to go a little off-topic here, because I don't agree at all:
These low prices for agriculture products you're thinking as positive of are one of the main problems for poor countries that depend on agriculture. These low american prices are mostly possible because of huge subventions. An illustrating example would be cotton. If the USA stopped their subventions, the global price for cotton would rise +12 cents per pound and the African countries would earn 250 million dollar more per year. In the last four years the producers from "3rd world" countries lost 23 billion dollar just because of these subventions. Cotton is one of the most important export products in many "3rd world" countries (often more than 50 % of the total export). [source: ICAC]
What's more, the "efficient" American agriculture isn't as efficient concerning energy (oil) and water! And the "ubiquitous bags of grain marked "USA" all around the globe" aren't only there because the USA shares (they do share though): They sell high yielding varieties to make the farmers dependent on their products (seeds, machines, fertilizer).

I don't mean to attack any of the Americans in the forum here Exclamation I'm just very interested in these themes as I'm going to study stuff like this.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Here in the states we celebrate thinness while indulging in too much unhealthy food and too little exercise. So we need to strike a balance between not scorning people for not living up to shallow beauty standards while not allowing ourselves to totally decay into fat slobs. Speaking as a recovering fat slob who's been huge fat and has slowly wittled himself down to "only" ten pounds overwieght, not being fat feels SO much better than being fat. On the other hand I'm most attracted to women who have a few extra pounds. Hugging a skinny person is like hugging a bag of golf clubs.

One thing I loved about Triplets of Belleville is that everybody looked so real. Exaggerated, but real. I love cartoons with ugly and fat people. But I also like eye candy, so hey.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:47 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
I came from the PHILIPPINES, it isn't exactly the happiest place on Earth...

You have Jeepney's for godsakes!! JEEPNEYS!!

Oh, and really bad Ricers:

Of course, to further derail this thread:

Quote:
EVERYONE IN ANIME IS WHITE.

I mean come on, Usagi from Sailor Moon? C cup chest, white skin, blonde hair, blue eyes? That girl wasn't Japanese, she was Aryan! She was super white! Hitler would look at Sailor Moon and say 'Damn, that bitch is WHITE!'
smutchi

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

That girl wasn't Japanese, she was Aryan! She was super white! Hitler would look at Sailor Moon and say 'Damn, that bad word is WHITE!'

Don't you think that's inappropriate?
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:05 pm Reply with quote
smutchi wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

That girl wasn't Japanese, she was Aryan! She was super white! Hitler would look at Sailor Moon and say 'Damn, that bad word is WHITE!'

Don't you think that's inappropriate?

Ironiclly enough, this was from ANOTHER Anime site that I go to. And no, i'm really not a racist.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:26 pm Reply with quote
If you want a person who complains about a general lack of minorities (black people especially) in Japanese anime look no further than I. Whether it's talking about the perceived Nadia, Secret of Blue Water Conspiracy, wondering why a black character NEVER has a lead/supporting role or is drawn like Sambo while other characters of lighter complexion look like the frickin' Mona Lisa, I have no problems voicing those sentiments (It can be seen it most of my posts).
DKL

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:30 pm Reply with quote
ha, but GUNGRAVE has Bear Walken Razz

and he isn't portrayed stereotypically at all *and his actual cultural background is very... interesting*

and of the BIG FOUR, he's the most badass looking guy there

... wow, we've completely deviated from the topic... well, it... seems that way at least Laughing

also, the new ASTROBOY had a multi-ethnic cast too

... more or less, it is getting somewhat better
milcor1

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Because huge eyes, tiny mouths, and pointy chins are the ideal features all humans view as "good looking".
Maclam

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:09 am Reply with quote
well of course i like anime with good looking characters...i mean Ai Yori Aoshi, Tsukihime, X, and sooo many more titles... but lately there's quite a few show with pretty normal to ugly looking guys... samurai Champloo for example...man and try Requiem of darkness... beside Ogin, all the other chars are ugly as hell
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4