• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most unexpected 2009 anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catstigereye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:29 am Reply with quote
Excel:
To Aru Majutsu No Index, I liked the way this anime was done and hope for a second season.

Fail:

Kiddy Girl did not finish epi one at all. love the first season.

Now i am waiting to see:

Angel beats! and Mayoi Neko Overrun
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Surprises...
Book of Bantorra I didn't have any expectations going in but I've enjoyed this show a lot.

Sora no Otoshimono The show itself is pretty average for the genre, but I really enjoyed all of the ending songs. Each episode had it's own song based around what happened in the episode and most of them were really funny and well done.

Aoi Hana The same as Bantorra

Bleach The 3rd movie was significantly better than I was expecting it to be and the recent filler arc was better than the last 150+ episodes of cannon.

Disappointment...
I can't really think of any. I usually don't give a show a watch unless it's in a genre that i'm interested in. Everything that I hoped would be really good ended up being good. I dropped some shows, but I never really had any expectations for those. If I had to say something it would be...

Hayate no Gotoku S2 Only because that's one of my favorite shows and the second season only lasted 20-something episodes rather than 50 something like the first season.

Nana The continued lack of a season 2 is most upsetting.

edit: I forgot about this one early, but Haruhi Season 2 would be a legitimate disappointment. It may not even be the shows fault though. Haruhi S1 was the first anime of that type that I had seen. I was 100% action before that and it was the first comedic series I watched. I don't know if it being my first is what made me remember it fondly or if it was really that great. I watched the first few episodes from Season 2 and felt very meh about it. I remember enjoying stuff like Hyakko and Minami-ke but thinking that they couldn't hold a candle to Haruhi in the gang of funny school girls with a spunky leader genre. Then I watched the first few new episodes of Haruhi and thought it couldn't hold a candle to Hyakko and Minami-ke. My disappointment was to the point where i'm afraid to rewatch the original Haruhi because I fear that maybe the nostalgia that I have for it will be ruined now that i've seen a lot of shows similar to it.

Last edited by Mr. sickVisionz on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mister V

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Considering that I've started watching anime seriously in 2009, it's quite difficult to judge which new series are good or bad... too much "background noise".

The disappointment award goes, I think, to the entire autumn 09 season. I ended up dropping 7 shows, - nasty surprise, - and only watching Darker than Black to the end.
Though, Hatsukoi Limited, for example, has the dubious honour of being the first 2009 show to disappoint me (to put it more directly: bleeeeeargh!!).

It's even more difficult to say if there were pleasant surprises. I suppose Bakemonogatari has to be the great surprise (I initially didn't want to watch it, seeing the description), but then I haven't watched Kemono no Souja Erin, but I know it's supposed to be very good, so that's not much of a surprise.
ugzz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Disappointments:
Haruhi Suzumiya
Pretty much feel the same as most, the repetitive stuff was too much for me, i actually muddled through almost all of them and just kept thinking to myself.. "WHY?". Then once i was past them i still never really got my groove back for this show. i watched it through but thats about it, it actually Bored me enough to the point where i only paid 1/2 attention at times.

Spice and Wolf
I was totally on board with season 1. It was slow, didn't really go that far but i was intrigued because i had high hopes for season 2 to really reach some kind of destination. I rated season 1 pretty fair. Season 2 just felt like season 1 all over again for me. Its not that it was that bad, but it just just More of the Same, and that left me feeling pretty down about the season. I think i still gave season 2 "decent", i mean i did finish and i didn't "dislike" it. But i was a bit disappointed.

Surprises:
I didn't really have many surprises here, I had expected the things i liked to be pretty good because i was pretty late on board with most things. So by the time i got to them i already read reviews. I had really hoped that DTB S2 was good, and indeed it was. The only shows i really caught on a whim without reading a ton about were K-on and bakamonogatari.

I will say that K-on surprised me, the whole just group of girls and their life kinda thing has never been my fav, but i really ended up liking it alot and enjoying the show all the way through. With bakemonogatari, i did like it, i cant say that i loved it enough to mark it as a surprise win though..
12skippy21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Nana The continued lack of a season 2 is most upsetting.

Laughing too true. Also annoying the manga has stalled while the author recovers from illness.

Suprises (only considering series I found to be better than I was expecting):

Bakemonogatari: This failed to hit my radar when it was released and when various forums started to say it was good I believed it to be worthless hype. When I finally got round to watching it I loved it due to what seems to be a rare compliment, I loved the dialogue.

Saki: When they were playing mahjong, I found this series to punch above its weight in terms of expected entertainment. Unfortunately brought back to Earth by the non-mahjong episodes which were dull.

Disappointments:

I do not think there were any major disappointments from the series I watched this year though some could of been handled better (Canaan, Umineko, maybe a few others). However I still somewhat despise *Endless Eight* for pulling down the other episodes in the series which I thought were very good. I did not mind those eight episodes but the whole season has suffered because of it.

*I still think this picture represents that decision very well*

anthell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
K-on wasn't that big of a surprise for me. Being made by kyoto-ani, I expected something of a better than average level.

I agree with hayate S2, its such a disappointment .
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote
anthell wrote:
I agree with hayate S2, its such a disappointment .

I think you may have misunderstood my post unless you thought it was awesome and, like me, were upset that it didn't last 50 episodes like S1
catstigereye

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
i think the second season of Hayate the combat butler is better than the First! though i own all the Manga of this anime and love those books as much as princess Resurrection!

I think it's one of the top selling anime in japan.

The whole thing with the little guy who blanks out the blood was the most sad part of season one. I noticed two seemed to not have that problem.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:32 am Reply with quote
Well with Hayate season 2, there was a bunch of things that caused it to only be 26 episodes. The change in studio, the fact they decided to go straight off the manga no filler episodes, unlike in season 1 where it was almost all filler.

Plus the pacing and story arcs where done better. Only problem was they fit most of the story arcs in to two-three episodes, along with cutting a part of the tiger den arc (it wasn't needed but it would have been funny)
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote
If Cross Game counts as a 2009 title, then there's no doubt in my mind that it was my most unexpectedly entertaining show last year. I don't generally like sports shows, with a couple of exceptions like the boardgame dramas Hikaru no Go and Shion no Ou, and I'm too old to enjoy most high-school based stories. Despite these prejudices, I've looked forward to watching every episode of Cross Game and hope it will continue past its scheduled 51 episodes.

The only other contender might have been Kemono no Souja Erin, but having watched Moribito I expected, and got, another beautifully detailed saga from the collaboration of I.G and Uehashi.

At the other end of the spectrum, my most disappointing show had to be Guin Saga. The first few episodes were promising, but once Guin left the field and the story focused on other characters, it grew boring rather quickly. It didn't help matters that I actively disliked one major character, Amnelis, and thought Suni was among the most useless characters I've ever seen.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
Well with Hayate season 2, there was a bunch of things that caused it to only be 25 episodes. The change in studio, the fact they decided to go straight off the manga no filler episodes, unlike in season 1 where it was almost all filler.

Plus the pacing and story arcs were done better. Only problem was they fit most of the story arcs in to two-three episodes, along with cutting a part of the tiger den arc (it wasn't needed but it would have been funny)
Also, Season 2 aired in a late-night time slot, as opposed to S1 which aired in the morning. So they were able to get away with a lot more risqué content. Well, nothing too extreme, but S1 wouldn't have had Hayate walking in on a bathing Nagi.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I guess S2 of Hayate was a bit surprising, I guess, from what I hear a bit too close to the manga. Sure it was done by JC Staff, but I liked some of the mannerisms of S1, and Klaus was very rare, and no random Nishizawa parts.

I think I was also surprised with Hatsukoi Limited, I enjoyed it much more then I thought I would when I read the description. Probably had some of my favirout web of relations, that can confuse at first, and I think a new one was added in the specials.
timesteel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:37 am Reply with quote
i found k-on! and Seitokai no Ichizon were really unexpected hits in my book.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:17 am Reply with quote
K-On was hardly unexpected given how hyped up every Kyoani BS series is. They could do almost anything and people would still prostrate before it (actually Endless Eight almost proves they CAN do anything and people will worship them as prophets of anime). Frankly there is no such thing as a surprise disappointment from them since everything I have ever seen from them has failed to live up to even a miniscule fraction of the hype and worship it receives from new age anime fans. They practically need their own scale and seperate considerations from other studios anime's given how bloated, inflated and seperated from reality their reputation has become in the past few years.

Honestly though I can't think of any series in 2009 that was unexpected. Maybe Bakemonogatari since nobody would have called it as a hit before it started airing.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:50 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
K-On was hardly unexpected given how hyped up every Kyoani BS series is. They could do almost anything and people would still prostrate before it (actually Endless Eight almost proves they CAN do anything and people will worship them as prophets of anime). Frankly there is no such thing as a surprise disappointment from them since everything I have ever seen from them has failed to live up to even a miniscule fraction of the hype and worship it receives from new age anime fans. They practically need their own scale and seperate considerations from other studios anime's given how bloated, inflated and seperated from reality their reputation has become in the past few years.

I guess Munto is the exception than lol, I'll never consider KyoAni to be anywhere near as good as some other studios until they produce something of note that is an original concept... lol Munto. It's kinda sad that A-1 Pictures are going to put out 3 original concept tv series this year as well as an original concept Feature Movie and all KyoAni have is Munto.

Quote:
Honestly though I can't think of any series in 2009 that was unexpected. Maybe Bakemonogatari since nobody would have called it as a hit before it started airing.

Only people really following Bakemonogatari pre-airing were people who were Shinbo fans (like Shiroth) and others interested in future light novel adaptions and Nisio. IIRC there wasn't really any trailer of sorts (the trailer out for months was just stills of text and like 2 secs of animation) until a week or so before it aired. And I doubt anyone expected it to be so well received on English forums as well as being one of the best selling tv series in Japan ever.

I doubt any other Nisio show ever goes under the rader ever again. Even if Katanagatari blows people will point to it being Nisio's worst received series.. with his best in Zaregoto not even confirmed for anime yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3