• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which mechs do you feel have least/most advanced tech?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
You raise a good point Gideon it would be unfair to compare mech's in a primarily military based show to mech's in a "super robot" based show as the super robot's are always going to have some sort of special trump card. However arguing between examples of the same bracket would probably be a useless endeavor. Still I am quite sure that what the op really wants is to see super advanced mechs blow the bejeesus out of each other. So I guess everyone nominating their candidate for the "most advanced" slot probably serves its purpose well enough Smile. In a purely military sense I would say that the Zone of the Endors mechs probably have the edge closely followed by the various Gundam series. I am not too knowledgable about the super robot series but as for the "divine" robot series well its all a matter of perspective it could be argued that judging them based on power would in fact be meaningless. However I still plonk for Gurren Lagann as this series has it's power the most explained and integrated into the plot of all the Mechjesus (lol that sounds like a hamburger il have a Mechjesus and chips) series.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Actually, the RahXephon is actually more tied into its plot than the Gurren Lagann. The main plot of the show, which puts everything else into motion, is spoiler[uniting the two disparate dimensions. To do this, Ayato must be trained well-enough to become a good-enough "pilot" in order to properly use the RahXephon.] Perhaps the Gurren Lagann has powers which are better explained (although they are still very much of a deus ex machina nature), but the RahXephon then counters that by being stronger. It did spoiler[rewrite ten thousand years of reality after all, no easy feat.] You can fling galaxies around like shurikens all you like, but you can't easily contend with that sort of power.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
Hehe aye good point and perhaps I did not really convey what I meant proberly in the last post. What I meant to say was that the techology of GL is more technology. It has more of its first principles and it's nature explained than ever gets explained in RahXephon. It's also true that GL tech is pure weapons technology spoiler[whereas the RahXephon was not built as a weapon but as an instrument]. This may in fact put off people who are looking for hyper advanced technology. As the technology of the RahXephon could be considered something altogether different. spoiler[Perhaps Art.]

It could be argued however that the GL mech demonstrated more power in the purely physical plane whearas the RahXephon clearly demonstrated a greater mastery of dimensional manipulation. I would leave it up to the reader to choose which to go for though I would heartily reccomend both shows Smile
spikespiegel98

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:28 pm Reply with quote
lol sorry that i forgot to mention that i wanted to know the most/least advanced of the real robots. still, interesting opinions guys!
RHachicho

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Hmm well if you don't mind a bit of technomagicness (another nail in the coffin for the english language huzzah!) then Zone of the Endors is probably where to go. However this show may not appeal to you if you like the sort of things you find in the Gundam/Gasaraki esque series. As the plot is mostly focused around family ties and the mech's are kind of superpowered and in the background. Perhaps Code Geass might appeal to you as the mech's are extremely advanced and yet consideration is always made as to their physical reality. And their technologies are unerstandable and grounded in reality. Again though the mech's are not the main focus of the show. If you want that then Gundam is really your best bet .. perhaps also Full Metal Panic. I also mentioned Gasaraki a less well known series that deserves some recognition for a realistic depiction of mech's.
Kirikiri23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Most advanced
Gurren lagann

Why it's the size of a galaxy you'd need a lot of power to run that mother or that nightmare frame that susaku pilots in the second season

least advanced
Mars of destruction had a mech I think
RedLeader

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:07 am Reply with quote
Gideon Krieg wrote:
1) The military style (like Gundam, Macross, and Five Star Stories)
2) The Super-Robot types (like Mazinger, Dangaio, Big-0, etc.)
3) The Divine Robot Types (like Evangelion, Ideon, Gurren Lagann, Golion [Voltron in the US]).
There are subtypes and crossovers to be sure, but in general those appear to be the three basic types.

Whoooooa!!! Hold your horses there! You've got too many types there! Anime hyper Most robots fall into two standard camps. Reals and Supers. Reals are your mass produced military robots. Supers are the ones made of invicible whatevers and powered by pure undistilled awesome. Granted, you have a few genre bending types... The G Gundams are classified as Reals because they're Gundams... Except their powers and abilities are more in line with Supers than Reals. Eva straddles the line between the two. When it's under control, it's a Real. When it goes crazy, it's a Super. By the same token, Getter is a Super but much like a Real, it's got armor made of tissue paper! Anime hyper Big O, is also a Super but Roger's memories seem to indicate that at one time, it was part of a mass produced robot army which deviates into Real territory. In anycase... Ideon and Gurren Laggan are officially recognized as Supers and so is Voltron which is a combiner anyway (cousin of the Choudenji line, by way of being created by Toei).

BTW, I'm kinda surprised no one's mentioned Gunbuster yet. Okay, technically, it's a Super but... C'mon! It fought aliens the size of planetoids! Anime hyper

I won't argue about the most advanced, but here's my pick for least advanced Real Robot, though, it's hard to compete with wooden ones from Robot Carnival. Anime hyper I pick the Revilian and .. Uh.. The .. Other kingdom... I forgot its name... ...Decimators from Orguss 2. Why? Their Decimators, as anyone that's actually watched the original Orguss knows, are actually the mass produced Orgusses and Nikicks of the Emaan and Chirum armies. Which... The locals... Just barely leaving the industrial age, have gutted of ALL their advanced avionics and computer systems making them difficult to fly and operate. Hell, they can't even transform anymore! And they're really sluggish too. They can't do any of the lightning fast acrobatics Kei and Athena used to do with them. If that's not horribly unadvanced, I don't know what is! Anime hyper
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote
RedLeader wrote:
Eva straddles the line between the two. When it's under control, it's a Real. When it goes crazy, it's a Super.

I believe that if technicalities are to be strictly adhered to, the Evangelion units spoiler[are not mecha. It would be more accurate to call them armoured organisms.]

Quote:
Decimators from Orguss 2

Admittedly these are quite simplistic machines, much like the Destroids from SDF Macross (which inspired the designs of some Battletech units, so I'm told). Contrast these with the Orguss 02 however, plus the two spoiler['boss' Decimators]. There was at least some non-standard firepower available within the alternative Orguss universe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RHachicho

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:48 am Reply with quote
Yeah GL is the most advanced but it kind of crosses the line into the so called "super" mech genre because if its use of spoiler[Spiral Energy]. Which although a funky concept is something pretty much entirely made up for the series. I believe the op is only really interested in the "real" category of mech's that is mech's based on current or relatively solid theoretical physics.
BenFotomi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
I think it's impossible to compare the different mechs, because they are not of the same type (like another guy said)...

My favorites are from Macross Frontier, Code Geass and Full Metal Panic... Each for their own reasons... Smile

A special note on the Lambda drive from FMP!, the last battle in TSR is awesome but not long enough... lol

Ben
Xzarida

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Eureka 7

The ss devil fish coolest thing everrrr

Or im not sure really sure this was a mecha but

The xam'ds were really cool
in the anime xam'd of lost memories
RedLeader

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
RedLeader wrote:
Eva straddles the line between the two. When it's under control, it's a Real. When it goes crazy, it's a Super.

I believe that if technicalities are to be strictly adhered to, the Evangelion units spoiler[are not mecha. It would be more accurate to call them armoured organisms.]

Indeed. They're really just spoiler[genetically engineered cyborgs with a whole in their spine for a cockpit and pilot.]

Quote:

Quote:
Decimators from Orguss 2

Admittedly these are quite simplistic machines, much like the Destroids from SDF Macross (which inspired the designs of some Battletech units, so I'm told). Contrast these with the Orguss 02 however, plus the two spoiler['boss' Decimators]. There was at least some non-standard firepower available within the alternative Orguss universe.

Well, in their current form, they are indeed no better than flying Destroids but in their original state they were more like Valkyries (it should be noted that Orguss was created by the SAME people that made Macross, in fact the Orguss makes a cameo appearance twice in Macross, and people actually thought Orguss WAS a sequel to Macross when it came out the following year), flying super fast, making sharp turns, firing scores of missles, and transforming. Of course, they do, even in their current form have something over Valkyries: The Inertial Control System, the form of anti-grav they use to fly and hover with a lot less effort and power than a Valkyrie would require.

The Orguss 02 and the big decimators are another whole can of worms though... Since, I've never seen the end of Orguss, I'm not sure if they're from the TV show or not. The closing credits of the show seems to show the head of the Zafrin one in the crystal ball... However, the way the Colonel talks about them in the dub, at least, makes it sound as if they were weapons from Mu's past. Back when humans still existed on Mu, before the machines killed them all. And the machines that are now the Mu, have continued to advance their technology as evidenced in the TV series where they had teleporter technology that neither the Chirum or Emaan possessed. In fact, I remember that it was BECAUSE they were so much more advanced that the Chirum had a hard time fighting them off, and all the more desperate to get their hands on Kei.

And while the Space Elevator where the Colonel built the Orguss 02 was made by humans, the Elevator was in Mu hands for 30 years, so they probably retrofitted with their own technology. And using that technology, it's no wonder the Orguss 02 had no trouble defeating the big decimator. It's at least 1-2 more centuries advanced than they were, if not more.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:49 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Guys, no offense, but unless you can think of something more advanced than the Turn A or Ideon, any further discussion is moot.

Voltron. Now the discussion is moot.

With the Blazing Sword, by the time the mechs discussed charge up their systems, they'd be turned into ash trays by Voltron.

Twisted Evil
spikespiegel98

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote
oh yeah! i forgot about fmp, prolly since it didn't really seem like a mecha show to me, more like romance/drama, and of course fumoffuu is comedy
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:44 am Reply with quote
After having just watched it, I actually found the giant robots in Tetsujin 28 to be...rather primitive. Seriously, I think those Air Hogs helicopters have a more advanced control box. Tetsujin (and just about every other robot in the series) run on a mix of a control box only slightly more sophisticated than an RC car and vocal suggestions like Pokemon do (which would make you think they're advanced, but Pokemon tend to have ears, if the control box signal is interrupted, there goes vocal commands too). It didn't prevent me from liking the show, but I didn't find them to be highly advanced per so. Giant Robo is actually pretty similar except it goes through voice commands through a watch, but it's practically the same robot.

As for advanced? I'm also of the opinion that Gurren Lagann is highly advanced as it pretty much controls with your thoughts (Simon himself said that he just kinda knows how to use it). As we find out later in the series, it's spoiler[Lagann] in particular that can control anything else it damn well wants to as long as the pilot is awesome enough. And it seems to have the ability to automatically recolor anything it grabs to fuse with to match the red color scheme, that's a pretty sweet power too.

I'd also consider Astro Boy among the most sophisticated robots, he can think for himself, has a personality and a morale. He also gets a major crush on another robot (at least in the 1980 version and in the Omega Factor game) so it indicates he can fall in love too. Several other Tezuka robots can qualify too, Atlas is able to exact revenge in the 2003 version and retains memories of his human self (also 2003). In 1980, he's able to be evil and defy the whole "don't kill humans" thing. While Astro might technically have that part built in, it also doesn't match his morales to attack and destroy either humans or robots.
One more that might be borderline high-tech is Robita from Phoenix (although this is really in the manga, not the anime, Resurrection chapter btw). In the manga, Robita are able to commit suicide and kill humans, but their real sophistication lies in being good playmates for children as Robita know a lot of games and have a tendency to respond 'but, Master!" instead of "yes" or "no". To be fair, it's because spoiler[Robita was made by fusing a robot with a human with a 60% artificial brain that were in love together in a new robot body that got mass produced with copied memories, so Robita is partially human and the memory came back many years later]. It has a very basic design build, but a sophisticated personality and thought processes.

I personally consider the Eva units to be low tech. They can't operate for more than about a minute when they're not directly plugged into a power source and I'm not sure if that means that they're not energy efficient or that they never had a rechargeable battery pack installed, but that seems like a major flaw. They're quiet flexible for mecha and can do backflips and stuff and can use BFGs well, but having to be plugged in all the time seems like a major weakness for any super robot and to me screams "primitive". I wouldn't have a DS that I can only use when it's plugged in and as soon as I unplug it I've got a minute to either plug it back in or finish playing my game, that's really pointless because both mecha and DSs should be relatively portable if they are to be of any use to me! Even Tetsujin/Gigantor doesn't need to be plugged in to something! And if the Eva units are supposed to be "real robots", you'd think they wouldn't need a power supply at all! I don't care if this is supposed to be symbolic, I still think it's worthless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4