• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Berserk, Baki, Barefoot Gen Pitched to Hollywood

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBushido

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:49 am Reply with quote
The potential for "FAIL" is painfully apparent but even so i would love to see the Dragon Slayer in glorious Hollywood quality CGI.
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:25 am Reply with quote
Berserk, really? But I'm thinking that the only way this could really work is in the form of a live-action TV series, giving it the space and length needed to develop the story and flesh out the characters.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:59 am Reply with quote
khryoleoz wrote:
Berserk, really? But I'm thinking that the only way this could really work is in the form of a live-action TV series, giving it the space and length needed to develop the story and flesh out the characters.

Yeah, I expect that would be best. Only if it was done by HBO or a similar premium channel that would make the necessary quality and content possible.

Sven Viking wrote:
I always thought Peter Jackson should handle a Berserk movie. He likes making zombie gore films and such, and Berserk is basically half-way between that and The Lord of the Rings. The possibility of a three-hour film would also make it easier to squeeze in all the important stuff.

That's funny cause I was actually saying just that a couple weeks ago. I really think it would be necessary to do it as a big epic fantasy like LotR too. I can hardly see that happening given the subject matter though.
Barciad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:03 am Reply with quote
kushiel wrote:
Yes, because mainstream audiences will accept the big hulking manly main character taking orders from and being matched by the pretty boy. I'm not quite sure how they'd pull off Griffith.

If only Orlando Bloom knew how to act. He makes Keanu Reeves look capable. I'm still trying to think who could play Guts though. My advice would be to pick someone young, someone new.
All that being said, I'd prefer to see a Vinland Saga film. Especially if they got Jonny Depp to play Askeladd.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Hiroshima-themed docudramas have received quite a bit of acclaim by western critics, and I believe depicting specific events of the war from a Japanese perspective has proven successful for Hollywood in the past. Barefoot Gen would probably adapt quite well in view of this.
As regards Beserk, I'd expect it'd be violent enough to bat some eyelids. It could even earn itself a healthy sum at the box office.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I guess this is what Hollywood has to result to because they aren't making anything good these days. There is so much material out there to make decent movies. But it's not getting tapped. What what we get is MORE stupid remakes of remakes of stuff that was good enough when it was out during it's time.

But anyway I think 'Berserk' would make a good adaption. Though I don't know how they would cram the first 13 vols. (where the first series ends) into a movie. But I could see it. Now who could they cast to play the part of 'Guts'? Not to mention someone who could handle a sword big enough and make it believable.

As for 'Barefoot Gen'. That would be a good movie. Although some of the idiots out there aren't going to be interested in the holocaust of a bunch of *****. They complain enough already. I even ran across here when 'Grave of the Fireflies' was being reviewed. But I think it's time to produce a feature of such.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Even a 26 episode series couldn't contain Berserk. How could they fit the epic scale long form storytelling into one or even three movies?

Meanwhile, more interesting and plausible is Densha Otoko being considered for an American sitcom remake. With everything from Ugly Betty to the Office being popular imports, I could see that happening. I had mixed feelings on the show. It was a rather cheesy romantic comedy. The main character was annoying stupid. Maybe the US remake could remedy some of this. Of course we already had the 40 Year Old Virgin test out some of these waters. Though certain a major point would be the message board aspect. They'd have to make one up, but I'm curious what they'd base it on like Densha did with 2channel. I can think of ones I visit, from ANN to 4chan to CBR. I really can't think of any show that'd delved into the message board culture like Densha did.

Also, I gotta add that I'm a bit of a conspiracy nut in that I think the whole 'based on a true story' is a load of crap. Ten to one the whole thing was a marketing stunt.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Barefoot Gen interests me the most out of these, but then again, it's the series I'm most familiar with. That could be a truly powerful movie, and I would hope that Keiji Nakazawa would have a strong presence in overseeing it (seeing as it is partially-autobiographical).

I suspect Densha Otoko will easily be picked up and adapted as a romantic comedy; the concept already seems right in line with the kind of romantic comedies that have been popular in America over the last few years - Beauty and the Geek, The Big Bang Theory, Adam, etc. Not that I've liked what I've seen of any of those because they mostly thrived off the dynamic of "hahahaha, he's a NERD", but hey, whatever, I've never felt particularly compelled to check out Train Man either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dako Guyver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
I always thought Peter Jackson should handle a Berserk movie. He likes making zombie gore films and such, and Berserk is basically half-way between that and The Lord of the Rings. The possibility of a three-hour film would also make it easier to squeeze in all the important stuff.

That's funny cause I was actually saying just that a couple weeks ago. I really think it would be necessary to do it as a big epic fantasy like LotR too. I can hardly see that happening given the subject matter though.[/quote]

My first pick for the Director is Sam Raimi, 2nd is Peter Jackson, 3rd is tied between Tim Burton and Clive Barker (mainly because I haven't seen any new Clive Barker movies).

A tv miniseries (or just series) would be good, as long as they are able to get the funds to do good special effects/monsters. Of course you really don't start seeing monsters for a little while.

~Dako Guyver
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:16 am Reply with quote
As far as I'm concerned, the interesting thing about Train Man its 'True Story' quality. I know some theorize the original poster fabricated everything, but I'm just talking about the presentation (and either way, the responses were genuine). The original text is a great read, but I'm really not interested in a sitcom version, dorama or otherwise.

Berserk as a live-action TV series/miniseries would be very unlikely to get a high enough budget, unfortunately :/.

Edit: On a similar topic, it's rumoured that Studio4^c are working on a new Berserk series. Wow.
Dako Guyver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:51 am Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:

Edit: On a similar topic, it's rumoured that Studio4^c are working on a new Berserk series. Wow.

Oh I hope that it's true. But it could just be the internet lying to us again. Either way, the images look great.

~Dako Guyver
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:55 am Reply with quote
kushiel:
Quote:
Yes, because mainstream audiences will accept the big hulking manly main character taking orders from and being matched by the pretty boy.

As I said in the AN forums, the only FX people I'd want for Berserk are the ones who did that sweet Wolf Man trailer. Anyone else is going to water the story down to a PG-13 flick, guaranteed. As for Baki, Tony Jaa would be perfect as the lead.

Barciad: Thomas Jane or Eric Bana.

Zi5nki: Barefoot Gen Hollywood version won't take place in Japan. It'll be a post 9/11 movie. Razz

Xenos: Isn't Densha Otoko irrelevant after Fanboys?

Last edited by GATSU on Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
A Hollywood version of Barefoot Gen would be unrecognisable to the manga, and would only succome into a yankee doodle flag waving movie. "The yanks dropped the first atomic bomb on us, but we deserved it, The End ". Rolling Eyes
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
If it's a Western setting anime/manga, I think Hollywood can pull it off if done correctly. Eastern setting should be left to our fellow Asian Americans or Asians but Hollywood could maybe doe some of it right.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Scratch that previous comment. I got some other people I'd want involved on Berserk. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2