• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Central Park Media Gives Final Farewell at Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I got Roujin Z before it sold out and that's all I really wanted. I can keep or take everything else, but at least I saw NAT HAT before it got lost, no?
asukafan2001

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:43 pm Reply with quote
class act to the very end.
Shale

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
CPM brought over some of my favorite anime of all time - Record of Lodoss War, Project A-Ko, Slayers, Beautiful Dreamer, Animation Runner Kuromi, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Grave of the Fireflies...damn, they had some excellent taste. Still sad to see them go.
WWAanimefan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:09 pm Reply with quote
It is hard to believe still that CPM is gone. I can remember back in 1992 when I bought my very first anime on VHS: CPM's release of Project A-ko. Back then, there were no stores carrying anime tapes and not that many tapes available (domestic releases that is). I came across it in a comic book store my brother frequented, and I also remember what caught my attention about it: the words "contains nudity." My thoughts OK this is different. Of course there was not that much nudity in it but it still hooked me nonetheless. And that is part of how it got started for me.
So to CPM I simply say it was fun while it lasted! Sad
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Shame to see them go, I will make sure that my kids learn about CPM and the future generations about CPM as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Gawd, I miss 'em! I just hope the ex-staff is doing alright in the suckonomy.

Shale: They brought over some of my favorite dvd commentaries of all time.
kikiyo2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
good riddance. one down just a couple more to go.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Nice. That was totally subtle, Kikiyo2. Just as much as a giant pikachu jumping across the Himalayas.

Well, let's hope every other company is doing okay. We'll miss you!
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I never thought I would see a bible quote there. Anyways it was touching. CPM was a huge part of my early fandom. I drink tonight for you!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I never realized that Slayers, Geobreeders and Comic Party were all licensed by Central Park Media. To be honest, its very sad to hear people those their jobs, but the memeories they built with some people are priceless.

Although I may not have watched a lot of the shows CPM licensed, I hope all the current employees are able to find new jobs soon.

I really hope the same doesn't happen to any more companies though.
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Farewell CPM. Your ad makes me wax nostalgic remembering when we were one of your only accounts to actually pay the bills on time...

Bob (aka Robert)
The Anime Corner Store
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:06 am Reply with quote
kikiyo2 wrote:

I want to become a surgeon so that when you need a heart transplant I can open up your chest and fart in it.

Ahem.

Thank you for VOTOMS, Patlabor, Venus Wars, Cybercity Oedo, Record of Lodoss Wars, and tons of other fun.

You'll be missed.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
kikiyo2 wrote:

I want to become a surgeon so that when you need a heart transplant I can open up your chest and fart in it.

ROFLMAO at this, and wondering...would it kill someone to do that? Probably not, but they would probably still end up dead when you sit on their chest. Still, could you imagine being resuscitated only to find out someone has FARTED into your insides? Not a good feeling at all, methinks.

Anyway, back to the subject of CPM, my fond memories of their titles don't go back too far, just to the surprising 12 AM EDT/11 PM CDT airing of Now & Then, Here & There on Sci Fi Ani-Monday. Then some of their other gems came next...Psychic Wars, M.D. Geist, and finally Descendants of Darkness! Yep, they were a real winner; I can see how they went belly-up with that deal!

Just for the record, I did really like NTHT, and DoD was ok, but M.D. Geist!?! Psychic Wars?!? C'MON, Sci Fi! Well, you're doing better now with Rave Master. Very Happy
Elves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quote
First off, thanks to ANN for posting CPM's farewell message. I'd never have known since I'm not heading to AX.

Secondly, I'm glad that CPM actually got a message out to say farewell to the fan community. So many companies are shutting their doors and *poof* they're just gone. I feel like I've gotten to say good-bye this way.

Slayers hooked me on anime, and that was thanks to CPM. The dvd boxset of Slayers season one was the first DVD purchase I ever made! Cool Thanks for all the memories, not to mention my current anime addiction, Central Park Media! RIP
bleuster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
And thank you, CPM, for staying gold all these years.

and lol at TokyoGetter! And your spirit will always live inside him, too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4