• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Macross DYRL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treatment

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
i'm sure Egan Loo and AreaSeven (and some others) will eventually point these out, but here are some minor typo-corrections for the article:

Quote:
the all-male Zentras

should be Zentrans, as the "n" was very emphasized in the actual movie dialogues.

Quote:
including his self-appointed Big Brother figure

in the DYRL movie, he's more of the beloved commander rather than the big-brother that was characterized in the TV-series.

which leads us to...

Quote:
Lt. Roy Fokker,

it actually should be Major Roy Focker. He was directly addressed as shosa in the movie-dialogue, iirc.

the Fokker spelling is robotech's.

Quote:
The years-long legal battle between Tatsunoko Pro and Studio Nue makes who would even get to serve as licensor something of an open question.

Should be Tatsunoko Pro and BigWest court-battle, per http://web.archive.org/web/20040806174222/http://www.macross.co.jp/contents/index.html

edit: added archived bw-letter.

Last edited by treatment on Thu May 07, 2009 4:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
;
I do appreciate that the DYRL version of Minmay is not a colossal shrew, though.

Yes, DYRL Minmay is actually a likable character*. Unfortunately I think Misa loses ground by coming across as weak willed woman who needs a man to lean on to be complete. Which... ain't really Misa to me.

*although, to be fair, by the end of SDF-Macross I was liking 'two-years latter' Minmay. She seemed like she'd grown up a lot. DYRL Minmay just started off more grown up. At least she wasn't as batshit insane (lets make a Suicide Pack!) as SDF-Minmay.

Really its Kaifun I would throw out an airlock instantly for being a colossal douche throughout the series.

Last edited by Mr Adventure on Thu May 07, 2009 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Really its Kyphoon I would throw out an airlock instantly for being a colossal douche throughout the series.

You mean Kaifun? ;p Yeah, that dude's a huge douche. DRYL definitely gets points for making his character significantly more tolerable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
Really its Kyphoon I would throw out an airlock instantly for being a colossal douche throughout the series.

You mean Kaifun? ;p Yeah, that dude's a huge douche. DRYL definitely gets points for making his character significantly more tolerable.

Tolerable by running around a little bit and pressing some buttons. I'm glad that's all he got.
treatment

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

Also, there are aspects of the movie that didn't quite sit well with me, the big glaring one being spoiler[Misa suddenly getting all domestic while on Earth. That just seemed to fly in the face of the character]

Better review the context of that particular scene. Misa spoiler[thought they were the only humans left on earth. rush of procreation-instincts and all.]. Twisted Evil
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, I love the movie to death, but there's this sense of "Women Belong in the Kitchen, making Babies" chauvinism sprinkled throughout it that doesn't quite sit with me right. Its not, you know, in your face, just some particular scenes and moments that make me raise an eyebrow. Considering I never got that sense from SDF-M.

I really should sit down and give it a rewatch, its been a while.

EDIT: I suppose it might be due to the movie being about "Love" and Male and Female roles. That's probably why its so noticeable. To me at least.
treatment

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
I don't know, I love the movie to death, but there's this sense of "Women Belong in the Kitchen, making Babies" sprinkled throughout it that doesn't quite sit with me right. Its not, you know, in your face, just some particular scenes and moments that make me raise an eyebrow. Considering I never got that sense from SDF-M.

I really should sit down and give it a rewatch, its been a while.

C'mon, dude.

Try not to forget that in the TV-series, Misa spoiler[ was cleaning up Hikaru's apartment without being asked, and she was being jealous of Milia and Max having a baby that she was daydreaming about it]!

Razz
AkiraKaneda

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I must admit, this was the first anime film I ever saw, and it still is the best, 500+ reviews and counting. There are things that have come close to the same magical feeling, but nothing precisely as awesome.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
This was the perfect piece for explaining why Macross is so significant in anime. It's difficult, sometimes, even with Frontier and Zero, to explain to new anime fans why a twenty five year old franchise about transforming jets is such a vital part of our hobby.

Do You Remember Love IS a defining film in anime. It's a tremendous shame that it's been "buried".
elreicht

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
When I saw this movie with my wife, we both cried. Both of us saw the original series and thus we were able to cope with the story. But my wife just got upset at Hikaru for spoiler[quickly forgetting about Minmay when they got separated. He was quick to accept the fact that she could've died not long after he and Misa were able to escape. Minmay, on the other hand was thinking of him the whole time she was in captivity. It just seemed a bit unfair that she couldn't live a normal life in the end with Hikaru.] But, if things went differently, they might've lost the war. Minmay had a destiny to fulfill and my wife was able to reconcile with that after a while. This is such a masterpiece and Minmay is so likable early in the story. Embarassed

This masterpiece is a must-see for all anime fans and especially for those who love Macross so much.. Embarassed
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
I don't know, I love the movie to death, but there's this sense of "Women Belong in the Kitchen, making Babies" chauvinism sprinkled throughout it that doesn't quite sit with me right. Its not, you know, in your face, just some particular scenes and moments that make me raise an eyebrow. Considering I never got that sense from SDF-M.

I guess I can see a little of that, but you also have to consider that ladies like Misa were placed in positions of power/command & that was a little ahead of it's time - the creators should be given credit for that. Maybe the vibe I get is closer to "Beings should be procreating, not blowing each other up"??

Yeah, I'd love to have this in some form of physical media... BluRay would also prompt me to pick up a PS3, just make sure you add FlashBack 2012 as an extra Very Happy
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
looks like its time for me to start watching some Macross. I always kinda liked it. but just never got around to trying to see the whole thing.

I saw one Macross movie/OAV when I was younger(like..11) called "Macross II:Lovers Again" and i liked that ok :/

but after doing some research and finding out that fans don't like "lovers again" then I guess that means i'll LOVE macross:DYRL Anime hyper
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
...DYRL is an actual movie in the Macross time-line from around 2030...

How appropriate; the movie is neater and more thematically focused than the real thing.
lordescamh

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, this takes me way way back. Probably the first anime I'd ever watched. DYRL is truly one of the classics.

I haven't seen a space opera yet that has topped it.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I think Justin's sold me on this hook, line, sinker, and any other fishing accoutrement you can think of. All I've seen of Macross in any form was Sci-Fi's airing of Macross Plus a year or two back, which I enjoyed greatly, and I've wanted to get into more of the franchise ever since. Hearing this sort of praise for the film just bumped it right up to something that I need to see someday. I probably will try to go for the original series first, if only because I'd like to see where everything started.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7