• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Matching Service' for Japanese Otaku Seeking Friends

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
You say this site is for those who can't socialize via small talk in real life. So you're saying that it's OK to ask everyone new you meet "Hey, do you like anime? How about Haruhi?". The whole point is that it's hard to randomly encounter people who share of the same niche interest, so much so that's awkward to bring up in conversation, particularly in any small talk.
Well it sure sucks to be the 3rd and 4th generation anime otakus, when their obsession on moe anime consumed their times, energies, resources, and ultimately themselves. In fact, that's exactly why they can't socialize in real life. Because their self-serving moe anime obsession won't help them gain real social skills, which will require them to focus on other people in real life with their times, energies, and resources, instead of fictional characters that serve to be the vocal point of their obsession.
Jih2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Is this the healthiest way to completely reform the really odd anti-social otaku of Japan. No. But hey it'll probably get more fans to meet up and quite frankly that's awesome the fandom feels so split up because no one seems to get together and really talk about stuff going on in the industry, series airing currently, etc. We all do that via forum now but that college anime club atmosphere and the attempt to replicate something like that has gone out of style for some obvious reasons. Either way, glad to hear people might gain some new perspectives.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:12 pm Reply with quote
First of all, money from clients for those who created the service. Second of all, opportunities for clients to make friends. Third of all, win-win situation because you never know who you're going to meet, and it can prove to be quite an experience in the long run.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
First of all, money from clients for those who created the service.
For your first point:
Quote:
The profile matching is free, although C.S.T. promises to add other features.
This means the website will be ads supported/sponsored, which could means that the "other features" might be provided by those who supported/sponsored the website with their ads.
fighterholic wrote:
Second of all, opportunities for clients to make friends.
Not unless they have an incentive for them to leave their dens besides their obsession.
fighterholic wrote:
Third of all, win-win situation because you never know who you're going to meet, and it can prove to be quite an experience in the long run.
You'll know a pretty good deal about who you're gonna meet thanks to this website because:
Quote:
Then the user can see listings of personal pages of other users, rated by percentage of compatible matches ("93% Match").
Well that sure take away an incentive to go out and meet new people, when you can just learn about people like yourself without you being out.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
First of all, money from clients for those who created the service.
For your first point:
Quote:
The profile matching is free, although C.S.T. promises to add other features.
This means the website will be ads supported/sponsored, which could means that the "other features" might be provided by those who supported/sponsored the website with their ads.
fighterholic wrote:
Second of all, opportunities for clients to make friends.
Not unless they have an incentive for them to leave their dens besides their obsession.
fighterholic wrote:
Third of all, win-win situation because you never know who you're going to meet, and it can prove to be quite an experience in the long run.
You'll know a pretty good deal about who you're gonna meet thanks to this website because:
Quote:
Then the user can see listings of personal pages of other users, rated by percentage of compatible matches ("93% Match").
Well that sure take away an incentive to go out and meet new people, when you can just learn about people like yourself without you being out.

Aaaannnnnddddd your point is?
Zirdante

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:24 am Reply with quote
Remember otaku and hikikomori are two different things. Otakus are just more or less obsessed with the anime/manga culture. And this site is for them to broaden their horizons on finding more friends to connect with on the subject. I don't understand why some people find it creepy, its just makes it easier to break the ice on finding new mates on the subject.

None of my RL friends watch anime or read manga, so if there was a site like that for my country, I'd totally sign up to try find more people in my area who like that sort of thing.

So yeah, some of you have the wrong perspective of the service.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
*sigh* You know, I like this idea and hope for maybe an english equivalent soon... But it's rather disheartening that even other anime and manga fans are having such negative views on this whole thing.

It's just another social networking site, just with a catering to a specific culture. Is that REALLY that unpleasant?

It's merely an aid in refining the search for similar hobbied people. =/
Zirdante

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
*sigh* You know, I like this idea and hope for maybe an english equivalent soon... But it's rather disheartening that even other anime and manga fans are having such negative views on this whole thing.

It's just another social networking site, just with a catering to a specific culture. Is that REALLY that unpleasant?

Yeah, why the negativeness? If one doesn't like it, just don't say anything at all.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
Zirdante wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:

Yeah, why the negativeness? If one doesn't like it, just don't say anything at all.
Because ultimately, it'll only make matter worst for Japanese anime fandom.

A website with ads support and sponsorship means it's got supporters and sponsors targeting a certain audiences. So Just who will be interested at targeting a bunch of moe anime obsessed Japanese otakus, who can't make friends outside of their obsession, with an online service that will more or less keep them to themselves? Think about it.
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:03 am Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
Though an english version of this site would scare me.

UltimaShadowfax wrote:
I would be supportive of an English version. Hell I'd probably use it. Most if not all of my friends aren't into anime and manga, at least not anymore.

Though an otaku dating service would be better ...

http://www.anonidate.com/
http://otakubooty.com/
http://www.animedates.com/
http://www.anifriends.com/

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Seca

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:16 am Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:

A website with ads support and sponsorship means it's got supporters and sponsors targeting a certain audiences. So Just who will be interested at targeting a bunch of moe anime obsessed Japanese otakus, who can't make friends outside of their obsession, with an online service that will more or less keep them to themselves? Think about it.

Of course, because all otaku in Japan are male and love nothing but moe anime. I guess all those girls I see in the anime stores here and the guys interested in Shounen Jump and action series are nothing but a figment of my imagination. Rolling Eyes

Seriously stop stereotyping people you have probably never met. They do not have a hive mind and act the same way or even all like the same things. And that's what this site is for. For people who only like certain series or part of the anime culture (like cosplay) and want to meet up with other people who like the same series or like doing the same anime related activities. Just because if you find someone who likes anime too it doesn't guarantee that they will like the same series that you do.

/soapbox

I can really see this site being useful for cosplayers as it should make finding others for doing a full cast of characters from a series easier.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:54 am Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:

You clearly have not met any Japanese anime fans. Just stop to consider the fact that over half of Comiket goers are women.

How do you know that otaku do not have have friends outside of their hobby (obsession) and would just like to find someone who they can speak about their hobby. During the time I spent in Akihabara I saw several groups of otaku, some couples who shared the same interests and some non-otaku friends who were tagging along with their otaku friend.

The site seems like a great idea, because finding friends with hobbies like building plastic models of old super robots or making figures can be very hard.
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:05 am Reply with quote
I think myanimelist.net can be considered an English equivalent, although most of the members (including myself) don't really use it to find potential dates. Like the majority, I just use it to keep track of my anime and find friends who have the same interests as I do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:58 am Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
Well it sure sucks to be the 3rd and 4th generation anime otakus, when their obsession on moe anime consumed their times, energies, resources, and ultimately themselves. In fact, that's exactly why they can't socialize in real life. Because their self-serving moe anime obsession won't help them gain real social skills, which will require them to focus on other people in real life with their times, energies, and resources, instead of fictional characters that serve to be the vocal point of their obsession.

Well it sure sucks to be the 3rd and 4th generation otaku-haters, when their obsession on hating consumed their times, energies, resources, and ultimately themselves. In fact, that's exactly why they can't socialize in real life. Because their self-serving hater obsession won't help them gain real social skills, which will require them to focus on other people in real life with their times, energies, and resources, instead of other strangers that serve to be the vocal point of their obsession.
Barachem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:30 am Reply with quote
tsukikage wrote:
Sounds like a great idea to me. Having such rare interests (admittedly not quite as rare in Japan) makes it hard to find people you can relate to - this might make it easier.

True, as an avid meganekko otaku i can totally relate.
I have several good friends i have good times with and that are anime/manga fans like me, but none that share the passion for meganekko like i do.

Zirdante wrote:
Remember otaku and hikikomori are two different things. Otakus are just more or less obsessed with the anime/manga culture. And this site is for them to broaden their horizons on finding more friends to connect with on the subject. I don't understand why some people find it creepy, its just makes it easier to break the ice on finding new mates on the subject.

Agreed.
Heck, i might even try this japanese service to try and connect to other meganekko otaku in Japan.

DomFortress wrote:

Why?

DomFortress wrote:

So you mean that otaku are obsessed and stupid?
Oh please, that's like expecting people here to fall for anyone of the ads featured on ANN and drifting off from reality because of that.
And like others said, not all otaku are moetaku.
Have you even looked at the website itself?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3